Sign in to follow this  
Duder

Kanye West

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

mos def hasn't had a good cd since his debut

Ice cube makes disney movies......

Rakim hasn't put out anything in like forever.....

KRS-One hahahhaha

Lupe Fiasco dude, please.

Chamillionaire HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Saul Williams, WHO?

:unsure: erm....I should probably let you know that even I don't take myself as seriously as you apparently take me...ALL of these artists are leagues better than me. Also, Firebetty isn't emo, she's hott as sheeit. Also, that Joe the Plumber thread is a travesty. Also, I miss jazman....squid brains.

Was Kayne West one of those who won the X-Factor?

Anyway, I don't know much about rap, but here's my top ten of rappers I think are much better than Caney Bust:

1) Ice Ice Baby

2) John Barnes on 'World in Motion' by New Order

3) Debbie Harry at the end of 'Rapture' is much better than all that stuff about shaking wellies or whatever.

4) Dee Snider on Twisted Sister's live version of 'It's only Rock and Roll but I Like it' (B-Side to 'We're Not Gonna Take It' 12-inch)

4) Neneh Cherry on 'Manchild' - words in heavy doses!

5) I can't tell whether Zimmerman is talking or singing on 'Thunder on the Mountain' so let's chuck that in.

6) The middle bit in 'Loco' by The Fun Loving Criminals. Granted this is only one sentence, but he does say the word "m*therf*cker" so beloved of those poor chaps so desperate to prove their masculinity that their Oedipus complex has overwhelmed their ability to articulate themselves.

7) Is 'Hey Ya' by Outcast a rap song? It's sort of trendy though, so it'll do.

8) 'Tribute' by Tenacious D. Not traditionally considered rap but it does have some talking in it (although so does the AudioBook of Dylan Thomas's 'Under Milk Wood', but I don't think it all rhymes so it can't be rap).

9) Is Eminem still considered rap or has he crossed over into caberet? Regardless, I think he should be in as his version of 'Lose Yourself' is very good, even though he rushes through it a bit and it all becomes a tad garbled.

10) Wordy Rappinghood by Tom Tom Club. Living proof middle-aged white rock stars can flam rhymes (or whatever the homies say) as good as any of these so-called modern 'rappers'.

My favourite album is 'I gCnoc Na Grai' with Tony McMahon and Noel Hill. Now that's what I call music!

What a fucking moron

And this voice-effect he's using on all of his songs is pathetic. I guess if you can't really sing or have a crap voice you need to hide it behind some stupid effect.

This might be a long response, so bear with me... My insight to this thread and Kanye:

I am one of Kanye's biggest fans and have been before his first album, before his first mixtape....I've been following his music since he was producing beats for Jay-Z in 2000/2001. This entertainer isn't a pop product, nor is he a talentless hack that's just appeared on the charts. He's a extremely talented musician, designer and it seems more and more, a savvy business man.

It started off with productions he was doing for artists from before his first album, College Dropout. He was this young producer from Chicago that put in insane amount of hours, pumping out beats for everyone. Eventually his decisions and mixed with some luck brought him to more well known labels, including Rocafella (Jay-Z's label). Then something horrific happened, he got into a car crash. He was driving home from the studio and crashed his SUV. His face was fractured and his jaw had to be wired shut. This was right after he got signed... If you want to know how that unfolded, just take a few minutes to listen to "Last Call" (it's the last track on College Dropout. Here's an excerpt:

Some say he arrogant. Can y'all blame him?

It was straight embarrassing how y'all played him

Last year shoppin my demo, I was tryin' to shine

Every motherfucker told me that I couldn't rhyme

Now I could let these dream killers kill my self-esteem

Or use my arrogance as the steam to power my dreams

I use it as my gas, so they say that I'm gassed

But without it I'd be last, so I ought to laugh

Those few bars right there kind of give you a rough idea how he looks at this arrogance from early on. You have to remember, in Hip-Hop, being humble amongst your inner circle is a must, but being confident and boasting your skill to everyone else is the key to staying in the top. Hip-Hop isn't like your other music genres.. It's about story telling from within, it's about demonstrating that you can make moves to climb ladders and get higher, it's about conveying to the world how to beat the odds. Imagine record sales and keeping a fan base was like a job interview, you have to be modest and humble at times, but you also have to stand out and let people know you are the man for the job.

Moving on...

Once he proved himself to one of the most established and independent labels, he was signed. He dropped his first album and brought back the conscious, soulful sound to the mainstream. Huge hits like Jesus Walks and All Falls Down. His music and productions have so many levels of positive and inspirational messages. He never talked about guns, drugs and sex (not on the level of glamorizing it...) Here's an excerpt from space ship:

Hook:

I've been workin' this graveshift and I ain't made shit

I wish I could buy me a spaceship and fly past the sky

Y'all don't know my struggle

Y'all can't match my hustle

You can't catch my hustle

You can't fathom my love dude

Lock yourself in a room doin' five beats a day for three summers

That's a different world like Kree Summers

I deserve to do these numbers

The kid that made that deserves that Maybach

So many records in my basement

I'm just waitin' on my spaceship

When i was listening to this album, I was considering going into film school. But i had no idea what i was getting into, and i was scared. I was just finishing highschool, and everyone i knew was going into business or engineering or something that their parents said was the right job. Here i was confused...not sure what path to take.

I listened to this song, over and over again... thinking if someone else can sit in their basement, putting in work...doing something creative, doing it with passion, why the hell can't I?

So Kanye blew up and went mainstream. His music started appearing on radio stations and tv... he was on the cover of Time. Your average rapper doesn't just appear on the cover of Time magazine. People heard his music and realized this wasn't just some random, club banging catchy artist.. So, 2nd album comes out, he starts to appeal to a wider audience, releases, Gold Digger, Diamonds are from Sierra Leone, etc.. Continues making beats for other artists, starts up a couple business ventures and starts working on his 3rd album.

I think this is when his media problems started. And he realized, no matter what he did or said, the media will report it in a distorted way to make him seem like an angry black rapper or worse. His "George Bush doesn't like black people.." comment rippled everywhere. Some people were thinking 'who is he to say something like that?' or 'he has not factual backing for that'... Think about it, why would Bush promise to free the people of Iraq from oppression, but can't even send down the national guard to preserve life in N.O.? No aid? no food or water?? Yet spend $3,500 a second in Iraq? He had an outlet to voice his opinion and he did it.

3rd Album, I believe in my opinion, was something he made just to keep relevance, build his growing portfolio of hits, keep touring and improving, setting trends. Then his life took a turn. His mom died and he split up with his finance. Which is probably what the whole basis of his 4th Album, 808's and Heartbreak was about. It was an experimental album...trying to branch out into other genres, to make music that can be danced to and sung along with at concerts, while channeling his frustrations and heartbreak. The use of the auto-tune on the entire album might not have been a great idea..but who knows? It could be a smart decision to make this music because if you ever seen his Glow In the Dark tour, you would know that he puts a spin on a lot of his old and new songs. That tour also gave me so much inspiration in terms of how far you can push your art and have people enjoy it the way you want them to.

I'm not defending some of the things Kanye says and does, but I do know a few things. He isn't your average gossip celebrity that the paps can go and take pictures of everywhere and thing he's just out for a photo op. It must be frustrating as hell to just travel and enjoy every day things while people are following you around and snapping pictures, maybe even provoking you. 2ndly, he has the right to say what he wants, he can boast and brag about himself. That doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it and follow him around, but he can say that came up from the bottom and established him self, did the impossible, and continue to make music that people enjoy. I have a feeling this immensely talented artist isn't going anywhere, but i hope he doesn't. If you knew the background story to this guy, struggling to get to the top, generating trends and doing what he loves doing, you would thinking differently before casting him as an asshole or talentless celebrity.

I tried avoiding this thread (arguing about god in other threads seemed like a better waste of time). But the SNL performance Saturday blew my mind. As in blew my mind that people pay to watch him. I've seen some shit performances on that show, but Kayne may have out-done them all. It was worse than some 6th grade talent shows. The dude is not a singer and cannot sing. It was like hearing a drunk guy at a karaoke bar butcher his way through a bad song. Then spaz out during the chorus wearing glasses so hideous you would seriously have to think you are god to get away with it. And I mean seriously think you are god. Not in a metaphorical way. Like in a insane kind of way like David Koresh where reality has escaped you. It would seriously not surprise me if he started a cult and raped little kids and went to war with the government because it was a sign of the apocalypse.

Just when you think Kanye has ascended to the pinnacle of douchedom......

Yeah I'm all that

You'll find it on my grind

I'm what you call that

Victorious

Yeah we warriors

We make history

Strive for victim's next

Standing at my podium

I'm trying watch my sodium

Die high blood pressure

You gonna let the feds get 'cha

I'm amazing

Born on a full moon

I was bred to kill

No spoon

That's why I'm so good

Summer time, no juice

Big family, small house and no room

And you like oh god

white got it so hard

Look what he's been through

He deserves an applause

so amazing, so amazing, so amazing, it's amazing

Just when you think Kanye has ascended to the pinnacle of douchedom......

Yeah I'm all that

You'll find it on my grind

I'm what you call that

Victorious

Yeah we warriors

We make history

Strive for victim's next

Standing at my podium

I'm trying watch my sodium

Die high blood pressure

You gonna let the feds get 'cha

I'm amazing

Born on a full moon

I was bred to kill

No spoon

That's why I'm so good

Summer time, no juice

Big family, small house and no room

And you like oh god

white got it so hard

Look what he's been through

He deserves an applause

fyi, that's young jeezy's verse on the song, not kanye.

C.Smith....I agree with you about him singing...it's obvious he can't.....although on his cd it sounds good....Live he's horrible. He should avoid doing these songs live, and kept this a studio album only. But then again I've never seen a live hip-hop performance other than 'a tribe called quest' that didn't sound like garbage. Every rap performance i've seen they lose their wind 1/3 through the first song and it becomes jibberish.....or they have some other dude walking around repeating the last word of each sentence as loud as they can.

but imo, Kanye's cd is really good. That and Common's cd as well.

Edited by anthonyc

Think about it, why would Bush promise to free the people of Iraq from oppression, but can't even send down the national guard to preserve life in N.O.?

The state National Guards answer to the governors of their respective states, professor. The local and state governments dropped the ball big time, but everybody focuses on the mean white guy who didn't pick it up and shoot a 3-pointer with it.

Cf

Yeah, Kanye on SNL was pretty bad, but that screen in the background was sort of rad. I watched the whole performance just staring at the screen, and not paying attention to his seizures...I mean dancing.

Edited by ianfreeze

he was in a new episode of south park. too funny!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/220762

and then he wrote this on his blog:

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/?em3...81=&em3161=

SOUTH PARK MURDERED ME LAST NIGHT AND IT'S PRETTY FUNNY. IT HURTS MY FEELINGS BUT WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM SOUTH PARK! I ACTUALLY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY EGO THOUGH. HAVING THE CRAZY EGO IS PLAYED OUT AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE AND CAREER. I USE TO USE IT TO BUILD UP MY ESTEEM WHEN NOBODY BELIEVED IN ME. NOW THAT PEOPLE DO BELIEVE AND SUPPORT MY MUSIC AND PRODUCTS THE BEST RESPONSE IS THANK YOU INSTEAD OF "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" IT'S COOL TO TALK SHIT WHEN YOU'RE RAPPING BUT NOT IN REAL LIFE. WHEN YOU MEET LITTLE WAYNE IN PERSON HE'S THE NICEST GUY FOR EXAMPLE. I JUST WANNA BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM. I NEED TO JUST GET PAST MYSELF. DROP THE BRAVADO AND JUST MAKE DOPE PRODUCT. EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT SERIOUS. AS LONG AS PEOPLE THINK I ACT LIKE A BITCH THIS TYPE OF SHIT WILL HAPPEN TO ME. I GOT A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF ME TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE I'M NOT ACTUALLY A HUGE DOUCHE BUT I'M UP FOR THE CHALLENGE. I'M SURE THE WRITERS AT SOUTH PARK ARE REALLY NICE PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO DRAW MY CREW. THAT WAS PRETTY FUNNY ALSO!! I'M SURE THERE'S GRAMMATICAL ERRORS IN THIS... THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW IT'S ME!

46151094.jpg