Sign in to follow this  
Cosmo Ray

.MTS video files

I shot some stuff on a coworkers Panasonic HD camcorder the other night. He has little to no experience with it, and it recorded everything in .mts. Does anyone know of a free program that will quickly and easily convert these to quicktimes? Any help is greatly appreciated.

.mts is a transport stream. Had to go through this myself when I got a job editing media files on a video jukebox. Look for a program called MPEGStreamclip. It should be able to do it. The bad news is, if it doesn't do it I'm not sure there are many alternatives, at least in the OS X world.

.mts is a transport stream. Had to go through this myself when I got a job editing media files on a video jukebox. Look for a program called MPEGStreamclip. It should be able to do it. The bad news is, if it doesn't do it I'm not sure there are many alternatives, at least in the OS X world.

Shitter. I tried Mpeg stremclip and it gave me an unrecognized file type error. OS X would be ideal but does anyone know of PC alternatives?

i dont know if this will work, but somebody turned me on to a quicktime plug-in called Perian. it seems to be able to play a LOT of different file types inside quicktime. maybe it will work with this and allow you to export as QTs.

Use iMovie (08). Seriously. You'll need to import right off the camera's memory card (or a SD reader) if you didn't copy the entire folder structure off the camera. You can also make a disk image of the memory card and mount that, and iMovie will import them.

If you didn't save the whole folder stucture, there are ways to do it in PC land... Here's a thread that google found:

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthread.php?t=17738

Good luck...

Yeah it's AVCHD. Probably a low bitrate crappy one too. Basically it's an H.264 file inside with .ac3 audio.

You need to convert this to an intermediate codec like ProRes.

There are a lot of tools out there on the Windows side, but lots of stuff for Macs too.

Edited by Havok.Dzn

You could use VoltaicHD for conversion to any format. For Mac(G5 or Intel) or PC.

They have a demo with limited functionality.

http://www.shedworx.com/

They also have some info about AVCHD & .MTS: http://www.shedworx.com/hd-information/avchd

true ! I had a project the other day with .m2ts files and didn't know what to do. Voltaic definitely saved my ass.

I didn't have access to the camera, I had just been given the mts files, so iMovie and FCP were out of the question. I ended up using VoltaicHD, which worked on one computer, but when I tried to farm it out to others it would only render four frames of the movie, freeze on the last frame and drag that frame out for the duration of the video. It's slow as hell and the quality isn't great but it's somethin, at least I've got them as QTs now.

Premiere cs4 see's them fine - my sony hdr-sr10 outputs them and while the latest fcp did work fine with them to an extent (had to have the whole folder/camera present, and then export them to QT) premiere as far as I can tell can use them natively and exports quickly. Probably no help if you're using final cut I presume you won't have it

Guest partake06

I shot some stuff on a coworkers Panasonic HD camcorder the other night. He has little to no experience with it, and it recorded everything in .mts. Does anyone know of a free program that will quickly and easily convert these to quicktimes? Any help is greatly appreciated.

well, glad to help you.

moyea mts/m2ts converter can easily and fastly convert mts and m2ts to any other popular video and audio foramts without any audio and video async issue, which is really great and valuable...

hope it helps!

good luck!

Try this :

http://avanti.arrozcru.com/

it's an advanced GUI for controlling FFMPEG commands and it does run on windows.

one solution is to use Avanti to run demuxing on the .mts, then you can choose to keep video/audio separate, or(the most common) re-mux them into a container such as .mov or .avi without encoding, so there will be no error in timecode.

it's very powerful and can even create custom profiles for encoding. however for newbies, it also comes with dozens of presets.

I came across this when I was forced to deal with Apple Quicktime MPEG2 standard (which for some reason won't run on machines without FCP. footage was shot on a HDV camera, then taken to FCP)

for whatever reason the files cannot be opened on windows for further work, even though HDV stream is MPEG2, in this case, Apple were the bastard.

I figured since this was the top Google search I'd comment here.

I recently discovered a program called Emicsoft MTS converter.

This program works like an absolute charm for converting MTS files.

I have a panasonic HDC-HS9. I also have a PC, not a Mac. The MTS files that come off the HD cameras as those of us who have the HD cameras know are VERY hard to work with. They are very hard to edit or even view for that matter. The MTS files, when I have actually managed to make a player play them, are choppy and the sound is subpar. However, Emicsoft works very well. I highly recommend it. It has maybe over 100 different files you can convert the MTS files to. For my purposes, I simply used DivX avi, quality is very nice. They also have a Divx HD avi choice which was not as good, it might have been that my computer was unable to handle the rate. Oh well.

I bought this program. Only 35 bucks, worth every penny in my opinion since I spent literally weeks trying to find a solution. The evaluation version gives you a good taste of what it can do.

There's a lot of BS out there from people with nothing better than opinions on MTS files. I'm no expert but I know that for me, this program worked, give the eval a try. Once converted there were no horizontal lines and the sound matched up wonderfully. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Way to resurrect a 10 month old thread. I ended up using Voltaic to convert, which took hours upon hours. The footage looked terrible but it was fine for the project (VJing).

I appreciate the many responses this thread got. Ultimately the best solution is to just avoid .mts like the plague, and if that's all your camera records you should return that shit immediately.

Edited by Cosmo Ray

Guest Sao_Bento

Way to resurrect a 10 month old thread. I ended up using Voltaic to convert, which took hours upon hours. The footage looked terrible but it was fine for the project (VJing).

I appreciate the many responses this thread got. Ultimately the best solution is to just avoid .mts like the plague, and if that's all your camera records you should return that shit immediately.

MTS is "mpeg transport stream" a way of packaging an mpeg2 encoded file. The .MTS part has nothing to do with the quality (BlueRay is .MTS). The manufacturer of the camera choosing such a format is probably a red flag though.