Sign in to follow this  
jablinko

cell animition workflows

I've only been involved in one - not sure if this is the best way but this is about how we did it...

A traditional animator would do the animation by hand in Flash (drawing the frames on a tablet). Then they would go to an AE guy who would use those as a reference and re-do it using shape layers so the lines were all clean. For character animation, there was no tweening, pretty much everything was hold keyframes and each frame was manually tweaked. At 30fps, we did about every 2-3 frames - every now and then for very fast motion, we'd do every frame.

I've done a couple projects with roto based "cell animation". Imported my reference video in photoshop CS3. Used wacom to draw my animation on seperate layers. Then exported from CS3 as a quicktime. Usually keep my main outline, coloring, and fine details as seperate layers so I can tweek in AE.

I know my friends who work more on the trad side use toonboom but I personally haven't tried it.

i worked on many traditional cell animation projects in the past 10 years. the most time we used animo. but the developement has stopped and for now us animation has the best packages around. from amateurs fun stuff to bigger budget feature film software. check them out.

the process goes like that:

1. draw your cells

2. clean them up

3. scanning

4. processing (vectorizing)

5. colorize them

6. digital x-sheet

7. compositing.

cheers,

payton