Sign in to follow this  
tvchris

XSI?

Haven't heard much talk in here about XSI. Is anyone using it for Mograph? I've messed with the demo and ICE seems like it's alot easier to use and more intuitive than Thinking Particles of Xpresso. What are the cons of moving to an XSI workflow? As of right now I don't see many, other than the lack of easy-as-hell AE integration.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Haven't heard much talk in here about XSI. Is anyone using it for Mograph? I've messed with the demo and ICE seems like it's alot easier to use and more intuitive than Thinking Particles of Xpresso. What are the cons of moving to an XSI workflow? As of right now I don't see many, other than the lack of easy-as-hell AE integration.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

AE Integration: http://armoredsquirrel.com/blog/?page_id=69

Unfortunately Autodesk bought them up. It remains to be seen what this will mean for XSI's ongoing development, but it could even mean a Mac version (like Maya).

If it's between Maya and XSI I'd definitely recommend XSI. THey are equally awkward for AE Integration when compared with C4D. If you're going to be doing more visual effects oriented work and need something a little bit heftier than C4D then it's certainly a great option. There's also a rather vibrant, if somewhat smaller, community behind it.

www.xsibase.com

XSi is good for :

-character animation (pre-made rigs you can use quickly)

-shader tree (experiment non photorealistic renderings)

-passes management

Con:

-it's much complicated that C4D

3D is a large and complicated field, you should keep it simple and use the tools that suit your needs.

And yes there's a risk Autodesk will shut it down.

AE export:

http://www.mindthink.de/

The bulk of the 3d people in our studio all use it. Mostly for character animation based ads, but it fills all their modeling and animation needs. (I think the guys are still pretty much testing the new particle system but I've heard good things). On the downside though I'm told that Mental Ray is slower then Vray when it comes to render time?

As one of the only non 3d users in the place, I started to learn a bit, so I can jazz up my 2d compositions with some nice 3d elements.

For first time 3d user I've found getting over the hump difficult enough over the last year, that said if you drop a few dollars theres plenty of good training DVDs our there, and as already mentioned, the community on XSI Base are very helpful. It would be a shame if Autodesk chopped the whole thing.

Pros:

- Bullet proof render engine that was made for animation - not stills (this means real 3D motion blur, depht of field & antialiasing that works, hassle free network rendering, rayhosting and decent RAM management)

- Render engine fully integrated (no plug-in solutions - so what you see in the editor is what you get on output)

- superior animation tools (not only for character animation)

- good performance with large models / scenes

- best 3D UI available (in my opinion)

- modern architecture (especially when compared to Maya or MAX)

- schematic project view (node view for your scene elements)

- fair pricing for the basic package

Cons:

- less plug-ins and tutorials for free

- less mograph stuff than C4d

- small user base and only few mograph shops that use it

- steep learning curve for beginners

- render licenses are charged per CPU

- no MAC version

- owned by Autodesk

In my opinion there is no perfect 3D solution out there that fits everyones needs. I prefer to use C4d for simple graphic stuff, typo animations, flying logos and illustrations. For serious animation, realistic renderings and huge poly models (i do a lot of projects for car companies and those CAD models are quite heavy) i'll always prefer Softimage. It's much deeper than C4d - I never ever got stuck without a solution in XSI, but i well remember two projects in C4d that nearly killed me (and the deadline) because of unsolvable render problems.