Sign in to follow this  
Tigris67

Mac or PC? for Motion Graphics?

Hello, I'm a Senior attending SCAD at the moment and am planning on graduating in the summer of 09. I'm majoring in Broadcast Design and am using a 6 year old PC at the moment, getting ready to upgrade. I'm very comfortable with PC's but can use macs with ease as well, due to them being available in all the computer labs on campus. My reason for creating the thread though is that I plan on investing in a new computer but was unsure as to what I should get, a PC or a Mac? All my friends seem to have Macs who are in broadcasting and I was wondering is there is some advantage to them? The only thing I know is that a Mac with the same specs as a PC is significantly more in price but I've heard they're more stable and handle adobe products a bit smoother?

Can anyone give me a bit more insight on this?

dude, do a search and you will find that this subject has been discussed several times, since I already took the time to write that, then I will give you what I think, I can use both, but I am not very tech and somehow virus and other things do tend to go wrong more often on a pc, also, microsofts new operanting system seems to be lacking, I have some friends that just do not like it and are not really rushing to upgrade....there should be plenty more info if you do a search....but if you ask me, I would go with a mac, even if it's not the fastest I could afford.

The tool doesn't make the artist. Use whatever feels good for you.

edit: since you asked for specifics I'll go into that.

Mac vs PC: It doesn't matter nowadays. There is plenty of software for both systems. Personally I like using windows since it's affordable, stable and secure if you just get a free virus scanner.

Computing power: Big factor. The faster your machine is, the less you will notice it between you and your work. Here you will feel the price difference the most: Apple machines are much more expensive then Boxx or whatever ones.

Edited by segfaultii

All my friends seem to have Macs who are in broadcasting and I was wondering is there is some advantage to them?

No.

The only thing I know is that a Mac with the same specs as a PC is significantly more in price but I've heard they're more stable and handle adobe products a bit smoother?

No.

If you want the long answer: Macs were originally embraced by the PRINT design community because of reasons that are now irrelevant (type etc.). As designers and design shops evolved from print to motion/web, they stuck with the same hardware for various reasons (loyalty, user-friendliness, elitism etc.), thus Macs are deeply entrenched in the design world. Non-designers (and even designers themselves) then began reifying the cultish mythology surrounding the Mac, and gave birth to the misconceptions that Macs are "better" for design or "more stable" than PCs.

It is marketing and hype, used to great effect by Apple to sell overpriced hardware that is the same as found in modern PCs. Macs run Windows too.

There is no real reason to get a Mac over a PC unless you just want to. And that's fine if you do. But there's no empirical advantage, and anyone who tries to tell you there is is trying to sell you something...either the hardware, or membership into the exclusive Cult of Mac.

Note: one legitimate reason you may prefer a Mac (though I don't believe it justifies the disadvantages) is that most small- to medium-sized design shops use Macs, so if you plan to work at such a place, you'll have to know how to use them. However, Windows and Mac OS have evolved more towards each other than away, and I don't think the platform shock is that serious anymore. YMMV.

There is no real reason to get a Mac over a PC unless you just want to. And that's fine if you do. But there's no empirical advantage, and anyone who tries to tell you there is is trying to sell you something...either the hardware, or membership into the exclusive Cult of Mac.

Yeah, having a unified hardware and software platform has no empirical advantage. Not having to deal with virii and spyware has no advantage, unless your time and your work is worth something. ;) I guess I drank the Kool-aid®

Oh balls.. another platform debate.

Know how to use both. Pick the one you like the best for your personal computer. They both get the job done.

Buy both and get a nice KVM switch. It's sweet balls.

several people have caught gay from using macs.

and i am doing this post from a playstation 3

gay is just a temporary affliction and completely curable. i can't tell you how many nights i got real gay and then woke the next day feeling jus fine.

posted from my bALCK BERRY STorm.

I've been freelancing for over a decade and pcs are not up to snuff for 2d motion graphics.

My Macs in my studio are 100% reliable. The high-end PCs at work are crap.

At work, we have 4 engineers on stand by, and I'm calling one at least once a week.

I'm constantly having to reboot because ram previews crap up on pcs.

Constant mysterious glitches.

It's always been this way. I remember working on a national show on their big fancy

schmantzy Boxx or whatever it was called, and having to take my project files home

to my ancient G3 just to render them out. The hotshot pc couldn't handle it.

Dear lord.

1. Each system does the same tasks, with relatively few discrepancies in software availability. I think the only major apps that would sway you in either direction would be:

a. XSI - pc only

b. Final cut - mac only

c. 3dsmax - pc only

I can't think of any other 'must have' apps that aren't availble on both platform anymore.

2. Really, if you can't work on either platform for whatever reason... chances are you are entirely inept with computers in general and have only been trained on one system like a monkey pushing a button for food. If you aren't willing to work on whatever platform is available (at least at my office) you won't be hired. Period. If you can't adapt to a slightly different work style, you most likely lack some serious problem solving skills and you just aren't worth hiring. Switching platforms back and forth is quite simple if you are familiar with the applications you will be using. Realistically, I think file organization and browsing is the only thing that actually changes for me. I just use different methods to find my materials on a pc or a mac.

3. Anyone that complains about virus's is completely retarded. If you can't stop yourself from opening absolutely every email attachment that shows up in your email... you really should turn your parents computer off now, and let the adults finish the conversation. I haven't run an antivirus package since 1999 and have not had a single issue. I won't tolerate AV software on any machine in the studio. It's garbage that only makes a system unstable.

4. Anyone that swears that one platform is inherently more reliable than the other is wrong. Both systems are remarkably resilient these days. Beachballs and BSOD's are remarkablty rare anymore. If you do have these issues commonly you more than likely have either a hardware issue or a third party application issue, but not a OS platform issue.

Edited by misanthrope.

the one empirical advantage i found on the mac, more specifically OSX, is expose. i'm still shocked windows doesn't have this feature and i basically can't use photoshop without it anymore.

Windows has a "new" feature coming with Windows & that is very familiar to expose called "peek".

That being said Macs do cause a bit of gay but that is nit a bad thing, in fact it helps all get along in the end. But Windows is so widely used that any major 3D App is available for it as well as all the good plug-ins. So i would say get both if you can. They are the best of both worlds.

And yeah Windows continually craps out on AE renders, mostly due to 32bit RAM limitations and 32bit Windows XP platform, I find it a bit better with the 3Gb switch. Not sure if that s the case with 64Bit Vista though.

Edited by deedeee

As much as this has been discussed, it will continue to be discussed more haaha.

I have a pc at work. It has 4 GB of ram installed, the operating system shows 3.25 GB, the AE boot-up screen says "..of 2.6GB". RAM issues alone may be reason enough.

As much as this has been discussed, it will continue to be discussed more haaha.

I have a pc at work. It has 4 GB of ram installed, the operating system shows 3.25 GB, the AE boot-up screen says "..of 2.6GB". RAM issues alone may be reason enough.

Do you have the 3Gb switch going on? Windows will display that it sees 3.25 to 3.5 GB of RAM if you have 4 installed. If you do the 3GB switch AE will display that you have 3GB in the boot screen.

Do you have the 3Gb switch going on? Windows will display that it sees 3.25 to 3.5 GB of RAM if you have 4 installed. If you do the 3GB switch AE will display that you have 3GB in the boot screen.

Yeah no idea... Link me or explain please.

Why isn't vista 64bit across all versions..?

Yeah no idea... Link me or explain please.

Why isn't vista 64bit across all versions..?

because not all PCs are 64-bit.

to the OP - It doesn't make any difference. Now that macs have access to mice with more than one button and intel hardware, your choice is really about whether you like white or grey computers the best.

I haven't touched a PC in 5 years, ever since I got to a point where starting up took 15-20 minutes due to the amount of crap that had to start up before I could do anything. We had some PC's in the studio to run 3dmax on but after they started crapping out on Vista every 5 minutes (about 2 weeks in) we had to ditch them and get Mac Pro's with windows installed on them. It may just be bad luck but I'm not a fan of pc's at all.

Saying that it's not like I've never had problems with my macs, just doesn't seem to happen as frequently.

Edited by kas96

Sorry, but I presently work on both platforms, and pcs stink.

Anyone that swears that one platform is inherently more reliable than the other is wrong. Both systems are remarkably resilient these days.

Edited by tomcat

(can't believe I'm actually participating in this)

OS's are just like any other tool - you can't expect to get the most out of them if you don't know how to operate them properly. If your PC takes 20 minutes to start up, it's either a lemon (BOTH Mac and PC have lemons) or you've done something wrong to mess it up (like putting 10000 fonts in the Fonts folder). I'm not saying either OS is better than the other, I'm just saying OF COURSE you won't like PCs if you're used to Macs, and OF COURSE you won't like Macs if you're used to PCs.

There's an equal amount of Pros and Cons to each OS. If one seems superior to you it's because you don't know enough about the other. It's like Coke vs. Pepsi, it all comes down to personal taste. If PC tastes good, use it. If Mac tastes good, use that. At the end of the day they both do pretty much the same damn thing.