Sign in to follow this  
Tigris67

Mac or PC? for Motion Graphics?

(can't believe I'm actually participating in this)

OS's are just like any other tool - you can't expect to get the most out of them if you don't know how to operate them properly. If your PC takes 20 minutes to start up, it's either a lemon (BOTH Mac and PC have lemons) or you've done something wrong to mess it up (like putting 10000 fonts in the Fonts folder). I'm not saying either OS is better than the other, I'm just saying OF COURSE you won't like PCs if you're used to Macs, and OF COURSE you won't like Macs if you're used to PCs.

There's an equal amount of Pros and Cons to each OS. If one seems superior to you it's because you don't know enough about the other. It's like Coke vs. Pepsi, it all comes down to personal taste. If PC tastes good, use it. If Mac tastes good, use that. At the end of the day they both do pretty much the same damn thing.

I agree 100%,

Pepsi is far better. But then, i do rather like the graphics that Coke splashes out on their advertising campaign's.

Your words sound so smooth that you almost have me convinced that

my work pc under the watchful eyes of 4 engineers doesn't crap out constantly,

the way that it has for the last 3 years.

And my unreliable pc is the exact same as my trusty Mac. (except the Mac costs more.

and the only reason to buy one is if you are a "cultist" like all those top

designers. They really don't know a hill of beans, do they.

I can tell you this. The people trying to convince you that they are the same

work on pcs. (or more likely, SELL pcs.)

(can't believe I'm actually participating in this)

OS's are just like any other tool - you can't expect to get the most out of them if you don't know how to operate them properly. If your PC takes 20 minutes to start up, it's either a lemon (BOTH Mac and PC have lemons) or you've done something wrong to mess it up (like putting 10000 fonts in the Fonts folder). I'm not saying either OS is better than the other, I'm just saying OF COURSE you won't like PCs if you're used to Macs, and OF COURSE you won't like Macs if you're used to PCs.

There's an equal amount of Pros and Cons to each OS. If one seems superior to you it's because you don't know enough about the other. It's like Coke vs. Pepsi, it all comes down to personal taste. If PC tastes good, use it. If Mac tastes good, use that. At the end of the day they both do pretty much the same damn thing.

Edited by tomcat

And my unreliable pc is the exact same as my trusty Mac. (except the Mac costs more.

You've had 4 engineers trying to fix 1 pc for 3 years? Keep the pc and get some new engineers.

You've had 4 engineers trying to fix 1 pc for 3 years? Keep the pc and get some new engineers.

LOL...amen to that.

The hardware between the two is 80% similar now days any way.

The only reason to move one way or another is personal preference and (as mentioned before) software that exists on particular OSs.

Edited by KGB

It's a shame that you've had such a bad experience with your PC. I've used both platforms rather extensively, and I've had no significant problem with either. I've had the spinning wheel of death just as often as I've had a frozen PC, I've had to Force Quit just as often as I've had to CTRL ALT DEL. I'd have to agree with what others have said, that the problem could possibly be with your engineers. If PCs truly were significantly worse than Macs, there would be no debate here - plenty of us on this board have used both and many of us have had no problems with either OS. As I said before, it's easy to blame problems on the tool, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the time the problem is the operator.

It's like switching from driving Automatic to driving Standard - if you stall the car is it the cars fault? If you spend some time getting used to changing gears and working the clutch I'm sure you'll find that both types of cars do an equally good job of getting you from point A to point B. Neither car is "better".

Sorry, but I presently work on both platforms, and pcs stink.

Wow. Apple should put you on their homepage since you have irrefutable evidence ;)

From many previous threads , I believe a LOT of posters here work on both platforms all the time (myself included). You can't generalize that PCs suck because of your situation. Google will find me a ton of stories like yours but against the mac.

My personal experience using them both daily is that once you're in the app, there is no diff what-so-ever. Both systems are extremely reliable (well on XP at least) and very fast. I easily prefer a Mac for my "digital lifestyle" for sure but to get real work done, just hand me any comp with the right apps loaded and I'll get on with it.

Yeah and seriously fire the engineers since they lack basic computing setup skills.

Ok, time for my 2 cents. I infinitely prefer Macs just because i enjoy being able to purchase a machine and it simply works.

I don't claim to be super technically minded so If your the type that is and can build you own PC and that is the platform you prefer then use it. DO NOT BUY A DELL, just because it is cheaper. You will then experience the PC HELL that every mac lover rants about. My employer chose to purchase dell work systems to run xsi, because they were more "cost effective" then the Boxx equivalent...Not if you consider down time. We had tons of hardware issues(mother boards, hard drive, Power source and graphics cards) and drivers going missing dot ask me how but they did. This was on multiple machines, so it was not the case of one lemon, just a sour product. :D

Part of the mac's are faster then PC superstition is the fact the PC's typically run anti-virus software which puts a drag on any system (if you bother to install the antivirus software from norton for the mac, you will notice the same significant slow down)

So if you build your own PC it is cheaper, but if you buy a reliable PC the cost is the same. if you intend on freelancing i would make sure i was fluent on both, if you are a PC user and it means buying a mac to get fluent on it then i would.

I don't think this debate has happened in a long time with so many people jumping in. I think there's some good info coming out of this.

Here's a couple things to consider: Right now you can get the new line of i7 processors on a PC only - no one knows when you'll be able to get that on a mac. Also, with CS4, after effects has a 64-bit version that is only available for windows. (so AE can used more than 3 gigs of ram on windows). They won't have a 64-bit version of AE for mac until CS5 comes out.

IMO, none of this makes up for the dumbness of windows Vista though. It's pretty stable now, but I like the features built in to OSX. The networking works a lot better, and I don't think the Vista team has a very good sense of usability.

Bottom line - sheer performance goes to PC (for now). Better OS and user experience goes to Mac.

for what it's worth: i've yet to see a studio in NYC that uses a PC for its design, 2d animation or compositing work stations. you'll see a lot of places use PC's for maya and other 3d apps, but if you're planning on doing anything with Adobe, you're 90% definitely going to be on a mac.

Edited by mete_shop

I don't think this debate has happened in a long time with so many people jumping in. I think there's some good info coming out of this.

Here's a couple things to consider: Right now you can get the new line of i7 processors on a PC only - no one knows when you'll be able to get that on a mac. Also, with CS4, after effects has a 64-bit version that is only available for windows. (so AE can used more than 3 gigs of ram on windows). They won't have a 64-bit version of AE for mac until CS5 comes out.

IMO, none of this makes up for the dumbness of windows Vista though. It's pretty stable now, but I like the features built in to OSX. The networking works a lot better, and I don't think the Vista team has a very good sense of usability.

Bottom line - sheer performance goes to PC (for now). Better OS and user experience goes to Mac.

AE is not 64 bit on Windows. In fact the only App that is 64 bit is Photoshop.

AE is not 64 bit on Windows. In fact the only App that is 64 bit is Photoshop.

Thanks for the correction - I'm going on some bad/old info and after a little googling you're totally right. All the more reason to go mac.

So I'm in the whatever you prefer is the right choice camp, although my personal preference is for macs (I also edit occasionally and like FCP).

In terms of one being more expensive than the other I don't think longterm macs are much more expensive than PCs because they hold their resale value pretty well if you upgrade every couple of years your usually able to offset the price a good deal by selling your old machine which doesn't seem to be the case with PCs. That's my 2 cents.

At my office the designers are on macs, the programmers are on P.C.'s.

The more anti-mac of the programmers is giddy when a mac has a problem and delights in reminding us "they just work don't they?"

(Even though he got an iPhone the day they came out.)

All i know is I love my mac, and Steve Ballmer is a moron.

I love PCs because they're cheaper. So bad in my country dual-processor motherboards are hard to get and very expensive, so it's hard to acquire something bigger than a QUAD with 8GB of RAM. In my case, it would make sense to purchase an dual-quadcore 16GB mac pro, but it's still very expensive so I have to stick to the best non-workstation PC I can get. If there were workstation PC brands like BOXX I would certainly purchase one. My advise is, if you buy a PC, just make sure you get a well assembled and tested PC and you will have no problems, glitches or crashes. I know that MAC shops also assemble the apples, add RAM, bigger hard disks, etc, just make sure whatever you buy is thoroughly tested and if you can buy from someone who knows the motion-design-3D industry and specialize in that, that's even better.

Be honest. Have you actually completed a deeply complex After Effects 3d project

on a pc? I always end up having to the project home to finish on a Mac.

I can only draw on what I personally see and work with.

For 2d, PCs have proven to be fragile and engineer dependent.

This is at every pc shop I've ever worked in. From Netter Digital

(an old Babylon 5 fx shop) to high end news shows. to my

home studio, where we acquired one for 3d, then found it too

expensive to maintain.

The premise of people claiming that "both platforms are the same" is

that the high-end designers and design firms are just cultists and suckers.

In fact, we like to get our work done without dealing with perpetual hardware issues.

Wow. Apple should put you on their homepage since you have irrefutable evidence ;)

From many previous threads , I believe a LOT of posters here work on both platforms all the time (myself included). You can't generalize that PCs suck because of your situation. Google will find me a ton of stories like yours but against the mac.

My personal experience using them both daily is that once you're in the app, there is no diff what-so-ever. Both systems are extremely reliable (well on XP at least) and very fast. I easily prefer a Mac for my "digital lifestyle" for sure but to get real work done, just hand me any comp with the right apps loaded and I'll get on with it.

Yeah and seriously fire the engineers since they lack basic computing setup skills.

Edited by tomcat

I love PCs because they're cheaper. So bad in my country dual-processor motherboards are hard to get and very expensive, so it's hard to acquire something bigger than a QUAD with 8GB of RAM. In my case, it would make sense to purchase an dual-quadcore 16GB mac pro, but it's still very expensive so I have to stick to the best non-workstation PC I can get. If there were workstation PC brands like BOXX I would certainly purchase one. My advise is, if you buy a PC, just make sure you get a well assembled and tested PC and you will have no problems, glitches or crashes. I know that MAC shops also assemble the apples, add RAM, bigger hard disks, etc, just make sure whatever you buy is thoroughly tested and if you can buy from someone who knows the motion-design-3D industry and specialize in that, that's even better.

Good point. Get what you can afford. Also one of the biggest problems with PC's is loading the thing with a zillion apps and clogging the registry. Keep it lean, it is a workstation after all.

This thread is useless, but I have to chime in :D

Like that beau dude said, they are just merely tools.

I've been using Windows since 3.1 and have never actually gotten a virus so bad that it messed up everything...probably because I know what I'm doing.

If OSX was in as much circulation as Windows, it would have the same amount of viruses and loopholes.

After the move to Intel, Apple machines and PC's are very much similar, except no BIOS.

XP Pro SP3 is great, Vista just plain sucks. I have Vista x64 running and I get constant slow downs. XP Pro SP3 was fine, except it doesn't support RAM larger than 4GB.

Anyways, I use both Windows and Macs together and figured out a way to transfer files between them (Network) so I have no issues. However I prefer to do any Adobe work under OSX. It's just much smoother for me and OSX doesn't have a registry which is a plus.

But if all I had was a PC, I would use that. Doesn't really matter for me.

That is all.

Edited by hyp3

I'll probably get my hand slapped for this...

Anyone tried assembling a PC for the purpose of running OSX?

Just wondering if that's a viable option. Is it for severely technically-minded people? Require a lot of upkeep? Stable? etc...

Just wondering if that's a viable option. Is it for severely technically-minded people? Require a lot of upkeep? Stable? etc...

It's possible but not supported. If there was a "legal" supported way, I would do nothing but buy PC hardware and run OSX.

Not worth it, I know someone who's done it. Beige PC box and OSX don't go together anyway :lol:

The Mac Pro is priced to be the same if you compare it to a similarly specced Dual Quad Xeon PC from Boxx or whatever. Actually it comes out to be cheaper in many areas. Just don't buy RAM & hard drives from Apple and you're good to go.

Guest Sao_Bento
The Mac Pro is priced to be the same if you compare it to a similarly specced Dual Quad Xeon PC from Boxx or whatever. Actually it comes out to be cheaper in many areas. Just don't buy RAM & hard drives from Apple and you're good to go.

Tis true. Apple is a single company with a limited product line that generally skews toward the high-end. Sometimes PCs *seem* to be cheaper because they are made by thousands of companies and come in a nearly infinite array of configurations that range from the cheapest crap parts to the best parts in the world and every possible combination of the two. Maybe you don't need a Ferrari level box like a MacPro or a BOXX. Maybe you could settle for an Infiniti or a Honda or even a Kia. Apple is only one company, so they can't address all the in-between levels, even if they wanted to. They've built their brand on creating a predictable experience by having tight control over the hardware and the OS. Towards the other end of the spectrum is a company like Dell, who attempts to add value by testing combinations of low end parts until they find the cheapest combo that works.

In the end you weigh your budget against what's available and hopefully make an informed decision about the tradeoffs and compromises available, then choose the machine that best fits your needs. Same with monitors, same with printers, etc.