Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Quicktime h.264 gamma shift solutions

Good link, too bad it employs a third party codec to fix it though. The gamma stripper seems useful, but running it every time through Terminal may become cumbersome with real deadlines, etc. It seems like ProRes has this same problem too, which is unfortunate.

Guest Sao_Bento
just tried it. the export fails every time right from the beginning.

Oh well, I thought it might have been worth a shot.

Good link, too bad it employs a third party codec to fix it though.

The x264 codec is only needed for encoding, they resultant movies can be played back through the normal decompressor in Quicktime. I've had a couple of encodes failed but it's extremely rare, I've been using this method for a few months now and it's definitely easier than the trick with the transparency method.

Using x.264 really appears to be an elegant solution. Hurray for open source :P

Right now I think I would chose x.264 for either avi, mov or mkv. Could this be the end of the codec war?

anyway the article seems to have some incorrections:

«QuickTime movies re-exported from applications such has QuickTime Player Pro using the H.264 codec (a common format for web content) appear brighter than the original in some contexts [...] but not in other contexts such as QuickTime Player on Windows, or the stripped-down QT Player inside After Effects.»

1. At least the videos encoded on windows machines will show the gamma shift on quicktime player for windows.

2 GammaStripper from FuelVFX - it as been reported not to work. Never worked for me (I'm on Windows).

The x264 codec is only needed for encoding, they resultant movies can be played back through the normal decompressor in Quicktime. I've had a couple of encodes failed but it's extremely rare, I've been using this method for a few months now and it's definitely easier than the trick with the transparency method.

well that answers my initial question, which is awesome. still doesn't explain why i can't get it to work at all. i'm running 10.4.11 with QT 7.5.5.

Edited by thomwill

This has been a huge pain for me for a while. Reading this thread motivated me to look up a x264 encoder for quicktime pro mac.

It seems like from the searching I did this is the best one.

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/

Read here also;

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8551140

Just tried it, and I can confirm that it works better than the standard h264 one in quicktime, it also has a bit smaller file size.

pic1.jpg

You can also use Visual Hub (discontinued but still around) to make a new MP4 file with passthrough on both audio and video.

By using the "Force: FFmpegDecoding" when creating the new file, the correct gamma will be displayed.

Just to confirm guys, is the gamma of the x264 supposed to match the gamma of your AE comp window?

Because when I export a lossless animation QT .mov, it looks darker than my comp when I open it up in QT. If I open that animation QT and export a h264 and an x264 from it, this happens:

a ) The h264 is lighter than the animation QT original, and the x264 is lighter again than that.

b ) Of the 3 QT movs, the x264 matches the comp window pretty much perfectly (gamma wise).

Is this how things are supposed to work? I imagined the first animation QT would match the comp window, then the x264 would maintain that (where the h264 doesn't).

Or have I got a different problem with my color managment pipeline?

Edited by pixelpusher

I still haven't figured out a proper way to get rid of the gamma shift on the 2 platforms. Shame how Apple is not even looking into this (Maybe Snow Leopard will get rid of that problem so all QT clips can look good on both platforms).

I really like the x264 encoder, but does anyone know if there's a plugin or something available so it can be accessed in Episode Pro. The place I'm at uses it to compress stuff and it sucks not being able to use the x264 encoder.

I just used x264 and sent a video to a client - all good. The quality is great and the file size is too.

I'd recommend reading the thread on the apple discussions to find out a few more tips when using x264, but I'll be using it from now on!