Sign in to follow this  
filmbot

Chris Smith and The Monkey on Motionographer

Damn, that was awesome. Reminded me of Renascents work.

Great work guys. Even without Motion blur it worked perfectly.

Thanks, everyone for the kind words. :)

Have you tried a bit of gentle, small scaled noise in the diffusion channel of your textures (set to affect specular and reflection)? That way you can just apply it to the objects exhibiting problems. Sometimes helps, and shouldn't really have much render hit.

Another tool for the arsenal, thanks! I'll have to try it. Getting tech-ish rather than aesthetic with the following reply...

Just to branch off what Chris said, I imagine that the difference with doing the grain over the top of all layers is that it makes the whole thing look filmy. If you do multipass, which I do for everything, and you do that diffuse-channel noise in your materials you'll get your desired 'noise grain breakup' only in 'material diffusion' and maybe 'diffusion,' but it won't apply over the lights ('atmosphere' pass) or to luminant stuff ('ambient' pass) or any of the other stuff. And if you add grain in post, you only have to do it to the passes that have the banding, which will be the 'diffuse,' 'ambient' and maybe 'reflection' passes.

And then you buy a bunch more terabyte hard drives. :D

For the record, I think that's a sweet Southeast Asia Dictator shirt, suitable for either Suharto OR Ferdinand Marcos. But the main thing about that photo is that when I saw it I was like, what was Fred Camino doing working on this project?

Then I realized that was the monkey.

us mographers are the hotessest. let's give ourselves a round of applause.

Could it be that we have enough hot and talented mograph men and women all over the world that it's now time for a Mr./Miss America type pageant? I think we may change our minds when we get to the swimsuit round. <_<

(my special skill is eating bacon)

-m

For music, did you guys work with Waveplant directly, or just The Listening Chair?

I apologize in advance if I missed that amongst the posts. Let me know if you want me to move this question to the monster post thread as well.

For music, did you guys work with Waveplant directly, or just The Listening Chair?

I apologize in advance if I missed that amongst the posts. Let me know if you want me to move this question to the monster post thread as well.

Waveplant?

The Listening Chair did the music from scratch based on the Trentemoller track that was given to them as a "style" guide and beat guide.