Sign in to follow this  
Kastro

South Florida Mographers

As I lurk 'n learn on this forum I've noticed that most of the "regulars" are from (NY/LA/CHI).. Is anyone here from the Palm Beach/Broward county area?

Its hard to be interested in something, but have noone to bounce ideas off or "play with".....

Edited by Kastro

I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale...it's kind of a fading scene down there. A couple of good shops in miami tho...all in all not a great place to live if you're looking to socialize with a large number of designers / animators.

As I lurk 'n learn on this forum I've noticed that most of the "regulars" are from (NY/LA/CHI).. Is anyone here from the Palm Beach/Broward county area?

Its hard to be interested in something, but have noone to bounce ideas off or "play with".....

You're telling me...I'm in Jacksonville (North FL) and I can count on one hand how many people here do mograph stuff seriously.

Edited by a2visual

ew, he want's to "play with" you dudes. lol

I FIND YOUR POSTS TO BE VERY INTELLIGENT AND WITTY. NOT LIKE THESE OTHER FOOLS ON THIS BOARD WHO ONLY TALK ABOUT MOTION GRAPHICS, YOU ARE HERE TO RAISE THE INTELLIGENCE FACTOR ON THIS BOARD BY TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE'S BLOUSES AND MAKE HILARIOUS JOKES INSINUATING TEH HOMO SEX - NOW THAT IS PURE INTELLIGENCE AND I APPLAUD YOU FOR IT.

THANK YOU ANTHONYC FOR CONTRIBUTING SO MUCH TO MOGRAPH.NET!!!! WITHOUT YOU WE'D BE TALKING ABOUT MOTION GRAPHICS!!! GHEY!!!!

oh and also I love Zebrownie.

at least i don't hide behind a fake name when I post. I guess that's intelligent where you come from....from where I come from its called being a pussy. take a joke for what's it's worth.

I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale...it's kind of a fading scene down there. A couple of good shops in miami tho...all in all not a great place to live if you're looking to socialize with a large number of designers / animators.

Crap.. I guess maybe i'll have to start up some type of UG and see if some people come out the woodwork...

You're telling me...I'm in Jacksonville (North FL) and I can count on one hand how many people here do mograph stuff seriously.

ah yea that really sucks... Although I'm an ex-sys admin/software app engineer I enjoy mograph... And I'm reeeeeaally new... Most of you guys are pretty damn surgical w/ your AFX 'n mograph skills so I mostly lurk 'n learn... :)

how's your skills w/ mograph?

Crap.. I guess maybe i'll have to start up some type of UG and see if some people come out the woodwork...

ah yea that really sucks... Although I'm an ex-sys admin/software app engineer I enjoy mograph... And I'm reeeeeaally new... Most of you guys are pretty damn surgical w/ your AFX 'n mograph skills so I mostly lurk 'n learn... :)

how's your skills w/ mograph?

Eh, I'm my own worst critic so you're asking the wrong person ;)

I'll be in south florida next week escaping the cold :) Any mographers wanna get a drink gimme a holler.

You're in luck for that...yesterday it was 79 up here in North FL, today a little colder, but nothing less than a high of 60 :)

There seems to be a disconnect in South Florida when it comes to motion graphics, but stay tuned as something IS on the horizon. I do agree with the lack of here in South Florida. Its all up North or out West, but we are here to work on what Obama has been saying. "Change is coming!"

I just closed my post house last year in Miami/Ft Lauderdale after 10 years of great business/printing money because I felt like it was the end of the (my) road down there.

Don't get me wrong, there is opportunity everywhere, and you can make an awesome go of it in Florida if you do some searching for the work. I could have stayed and collected money and perhaps been very happy. But... I wanted to work on more challenging projects with other more talented people. Translation - I was bored as hell.

I found that there was always an issue with attracting the biggest work there, mainly due to the fact that in big markets the business model is totally freelance. In South Florida there is not a large enough freelance talent pool to staff for large projects that require a diversified skillset so you are dead in the water before you begin on some of the larger projects that are out there. It also didn't help that most of the companies that were there 5-10 years ago that provided local opportunities (MTV, Nickelodeon, AXN etc..etc..) have closed their offices there.

In short - in Florida, I had to start my own company to create the type of environment that I felt I'd want to work in. In a bigger market, it's a non-issue, there is plenty of interesting work to go around.

Lastly - one of the things that I saw a lot in Florida was people who immortalized (like you guys seem to) anyone from a bigger market, and thought they couldn't stack up. I can tell you with authority that you shouldn't put the bigger markets up on a pedestal. There are ALL types of artists out there that run the gamut from junior to seasoned Rock Star. You don't need to be a seasoned rock star to work. You just need to bring your all and above all be professional and reliable.

Best of luck to you.

-Chris