Sign in to follow this  
xdozex

New tutorial site - AETuts.net

like i said, i understand your position...but just understand what they're trying to do. Guys like Kramer do it for free (and I'm sure he gets work because of it), so at least they're trying to prime the pump of knowledge so to speak. EDIT: it may not be much, but at least they're doing something and valuing the time in some way

Kramer is definitely providing useful information for free, but make no mistake his site is a business. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he has several full time staff to handle all the purchase orders/shipping of his products.

That said, his success and popularity is testament to what giving out free stuff can do for you and I think the world would be a better place if more businesses were able to take a similar approach.

Kramer is definitely providing useful information for free, but make no mistake his site is a business. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he has several full time staff to handle all the purchase orders/shipping of his products.

That said, his success and popularity is testament to what giving out free stuff can do for you and I think the world would be a better place if more businesses were able to take a similar approach.

I agree. It's a business model that can work well on the Internet. The "Kramer" brand is well known but I can't recall seeing many advertisements. It's a win/win for everyone. Except for the ton of Kramer clones posted all over the Internet, but that's like blaming Led Zeppelin for all the hideous cover bands playing Stairway to Heaven.

but that's like blaming Led Zeppelin for all the hideous cover bands playing Stairway to Heaven.

Wait...so playing Stairway on a sitar and pan flute is bad?

- Those MoGraph tutes still haunt me today. It's like a chewing gum on your shoes. People still contact me about them and while some kindly ask, others simply assume I'm Maxon's support guy, which is ridiculous, even more so, as I'm moving away from C4D everyday and haven't touched it in months...

Mylenium

I had a similar experience. About 4 years ago I did a handful of photoshop tuts. Every time I published a new tutorial I would get over 10k uniques a day for a week or so. The traffic I got was unbelievable, especially since it all came so fast...I didn't build up a following or anything, I just submitted them to some tut link sites, and from there they spread virally. There are just a ton of people searching for photoshop tutorials I guess.

Anyway, it has since become the bane of my existence. There are dozens of sites that still send me traffic (linking to tutorials that aren't there anymore), and hence, I get a lot of people using my contact form pelting me with banal photoshop questions. Every time I get one, I feel a little guilty for ignoring it. :)

Training is a great web business. It's probably one of the most feasible web businesses, but like you said Mylenium, it's hard to manage if you're doing it on the side. I've considered getting back into it, but don't want to compete with grey ;)

I had a similar experience. About 4 years ago I did a handful of photoshop tuts. Every time I published a new tutorial I would get over 10k uniques a day for a week or so. The traffic I got was unbelievable, especially since it all came so fast...I didn't build up a following or anything, I just submitted them to some tut link sites, and from there they spread virally. There are just a ton of people searching for photoshop tutorials I guess.

Anyway, it has since become the bane of my existence. There are dozens of sites that still send me traffic (linking to tutorials that aren't there anymore), and hence, I get a lot of people using my contact form pelting me with banal photoshop questions. Every time I get one, I feel a little guilty for ignoring it. :)

Training is a great web business. It's probably one of the most feasible web businesses, but like you said Mylenium, it's hard to manage if you're doing it on the side. I've considered getting back into it, but don't want to compete with grey ;)

It is hard to manage on your own, which is why everything I've done as of yet has been partnered with someone else. The downside is that other people get a cut of your work. The upside is that all the nitty gritty business stuff is handled by someone else. I'll get the occasional tech support email that I have no clue about, and I just politely forward them to the correct person.

So, I can't say that producing a training title is easy. Some have certainly been harder than others. But, as a side income, it is awesome, and I do hope to get a few more out when I get a spare few days. After producing 6 titles for sale, the monthly income tends to range between $1k and $2k. That's certainly chump change to what I could get if I just did it ball out commando Kramer style. But, for my style of tutorial content and teaching, I can't see producing 100 free tutorials. I'm like "Here's how to make lower thirds in the 11th dimension" and Andrew is like "Here's how to make a head explode!" One certainly has more drawing power.

But, if anyone that is good at teaching, and has practiced recording tutorials and knows their stuff, I know of several training outlets really, really looking for capable people to promote and sell their training products. There is room for us all.