Sign in to follow this  
beau+++

Genius Rocket?

Just got an email from some guy at Genius Rocket. I sure don't remember ever signing up for a newsletter or even visiting their site before, so I assume they went through the freelance list on the wiki. Looks like they have an exciting new contest!!! Oh boy!!! Now I can compete with "over 6000 professionals and semi-professionals" for the grand prize!!! Awesome!!! What's the grand prize you ask? Why it's the opportunity to actually be paid for my work!! YAY!!! <_<

I have my own contest:

Post your snarkiest response to his email in this thread. Grand Prize: The snarkiest one will be my reply email to "Michael".

Here's the email he sent me:

Hi:

I work at GeniusRocket, a digital agency that crowdsources creative content to the most creative people in the world.

Our newest client, SXSW, needs a 30-second spot that promotes SXSW as the premier festival to experience all that is digital convergence in Music, Film and Interactive technology and content.

I would really appreciate it if you considered participating in this project.

::To read the Creative Brief, click here. (Deadline January 25, 2009 :: Total compensation $4000).

::To work on this project, get started here.

::To learn more about how GeniusRocket works, visit our microsite.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I will personally get back to you.

I hope we get the chance to work together. Thanks.

::Michael Mossoba

ABOUT US

GeniusRocket is an interactive agency built around a social network for the most creative people in the world. We find paying clients for our creative community from over 80 countries. Since we launched in late 2007, GeniusRocket community members have earned over $150,000 responding to "Requests for Brilliance" posted by clients like Heinz and Pepsi.

I think I'm gonna go with:

Dear Michael,

Sounds like fun! I just have one small request: How about instead of ME doing a lot work for YOU and competing for the opportunity to be paid, YOU pay me and if I like your money enough I'll do work for you? Sound like a deal? No? Because it would be crazy for a business to give away money and/or services in exchange for the POSSIBILITY of being compensated for it later on?

Eureka! You're right! That IS crazy!

Paul

Waiting on a LTO backup set to rebuild I wrote this:

Hi:

I work in the real world, you know that place you're clearly not aware of.

My newest client, myself, needs a 30 second spot to tell you why doing this kind of bullshit work through a competition is a waste of time for any professional or semi-professional.

I would really appreciate it if you considered participating seeing how you're the subject matter.

::To read the Creative Brief, see above. (Deadline the day before yesterday :: Total compensation: feeling good about yourself and your work)

::To work on this project, get started on your own

::To learn more about how I work, visit www.no-spec.com

Please don't feel free to contact me with any questions. I will not personally get back to you.

I hope you get the chance to see the futility of us working together. Thanks.

Edited by a2visual

Well, I sent my smart-ass message above, and this is what he replied back to me:

Paul:

I understand your concerns. We create a wide range of options for clients to work with our creative community. That means everything from submitting full executions to integrating storyboards into the process to help mitigate the upfront investment of our artists.

We try to find clients like Heinz and Pepsi that may be difficult for individual or emerging artists to get access to, but would be beneficial to expand their portfolio and get on the radars of the top brand managers in the world. Additionally, we have a relatively small but highly creative community that has indeed earned well over $100,000 from working with us. And some have landed other opportunities as a direct consequence of working with us. So, I understand if this might not be right for you. But we are earnestly trying to build a creative community that is benefiting from the collective power to impress major brands and advance their careers and passions.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

::Michael

I like how he mentions that some artists just do storyboards, as if that isn't a huge investment for potentially no payoff :huh:

edit: 1000 POSTS!!!!! BOW DOWN TO ME BITCHEZ!!!!

Edited by beau+++

Didn't get it. But, I also got this one:

I'm reaching out on behalf of my client, Intel, because I noticed your site on stumbleupon and I thought you might personally (or know designers) who would be interested in a design challenge Intel is holding called "Digital Drag Race."

Basically Intel is challenging users to create 17 sec. motion graphic designs with particular assets. Creators of these videos get immediate exposure on the user-generated portion of the site, You Tube channel, and will also enter into ongoing fan battles where fans vote. Winners of these battles (and their work) will be featured on the Intel branded site scoop.intel.com for national exposure. Fan battles start next week, and will be continued throughout December and January.

If this is something that interests you, please let me know, and I can provide you with the assets to use for the video and answer any other questions you may have!

Exposure! On YOUTUBE!! <_<

Yes you do.

And I didn't get one either (which I'm pretty sure was a clerical error).

-m

nonsense. you got it and deleted by accident, promptly forgetting you had ever received it in the first place.

I replied to Michael's email earlier today with the question of how his system of payment works... Here is his response...which unfortunately still leaves me a bit confused:

"However, this is not a contest and more like an RFP for a client. Ultimately the decision to purchase content comes down to the preferences of the client, not any system of community voting. Here, SXSW has agreed to purchase two videos, the first for $3000 and the second for $1000."

After checking out the Genius Rocket site, this whole thing seems pretty weak. What's thier deal, they get kickbacks from corporate clients by tricking students and freelancers into producing ads for way cheaper than it would cost to hire professionals?

So be it. As Red Adair said "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amatuer."

Kudos to the Mograph members for making this a thread... nice to know there's some pride out there.

Edited by KURT