Sign in to follow this  
the_Monkey

Merry Christmas from the_Monkey

BulletSpace_c08.jpg

At the last AENY I showed one of my favorite sketches I've ever made. It was originally built for the Casa Nova Studios ID, but directions changed and ultimately my preferred treatment was never used. Since the show I've had a few requests for the movie and/or scenefile and I've been trying to make a habit of giving away any scenefiles that I don't use within a year.

Scenefile

As far as usage... I would really prefer that people use these as an opportunity to learn as opposed to cut+paste it into their project with a tight deadline. Alas, gifts are gifts... which means you have to let them go... so you may use it however you wish.

Merry Christmas everyone.

-m

Thanks so much for posting this. I was at aeny and after seeing a lot of your work i was hoping for something like this. I'm learning a lot from CSTools as well. Happy holidays! Any chance of putting up a mov of the speaker animation from 2002?

Edited by Mr. Sam

Sweet. I love it. I wanted to ass this type of textured trails to a car model I animated, but the client demanded smoke. I will re-work for my reel with your technique.

I saw on another site how to make smoke using splines and lofts which is where I got my idea. I could not properly track and animate till I learned about tracer. Let see what results I can get.

nice one Monkey - I wait to see this effect spawning Andrew Kramer style across the internet.

The gradient on your twist deformer looks a bit insane. Was there a reason you didn't use a transformer in your layer shader? - e.g.

20081224-pfxubiwnqxyauf2t7ia528aqca.jpg

Cool file & movie, thanks for posting this. That's one busy looking gradient you're using here ;)

monkeygrad.jpg

edit: ack! Basilisk beat me to it!

Cheers! - Chris

Edited by ChrisC

Cool file & movie, thanks for posting this. That's one busy looking gradient you're using here ;)

edit: ack! Basilisk beat me to it!

Cheers! - Chris

great minds...

I just discovered the "double knots" feature in gradients. Always something new to learn.

I just discovered the "double knots" feature in gradients. Always something new to learn.

Wheee - just found that feature, didn't know about that either. Bound to come in handy, Mr Monkey it seems your festive learning wish has been granted. Except when I emerge from the other side of the boozy stew called Christmas no doubt all traces of this thread will be erased from my mind... mmm... mince pies...

Edited by ChrisC

Was there a reason you didn't use a transformer in your layer shader?
That's one busy looking gradient you're using here

No, this was actually the project when *I* learned about double knots. :)

I found it, did it once and thought "Cool!" (double, double, double...)

As a matter of fact it's always been my opinion that it's a disadvantage too have too many knots (mathematically doubled or not).

I would say (per your example) that I do prefer using Layer Masks when trying to "erase" information instead of Multiplying. The result it the same in this instance, but I prefer it for the workflow and visual clarity.

I was waiting for someone to ask about about Displacement Maps as well since this entire rig could likely be placed in a single Material... I tried it that way and backed off because of the lack of preview. Displacement Deformers are pretty fast anyway. I also could have made the taper geometrically instead of with displacement, but I kept changing my mind which way it should taper, how much, how far, etc... gradients just ended up being the fastest way to change my mind.

-m

(Mmm... "boozy stew called Christmas")

Does there exist a magical land that contains more of the monkey's work...perhaps a personal website that seems to be hidden from the masses?

Sadly no.

Thus far I have been dissatisfied with my efforts in designing one.

Some day soon though... perhaps the slowing economy will provide some free time and motivation.

:)

-m

I do actually have the file for this buried on an old HD - but certainly won't repost someone else's work without them saying cool. So mister the_Monkey, you're going to have to crawl out of whatever whisky bar, loft party or rehab joint you've been hiding in and show your face, nod or at least grunt approval...

:ph34r:

Edited by ChrisC