Sign in to follow this  
undream

[HOW TO] Video Footage Edit

Hi there.

I've been posting a lot lately, to find a solution to my questions but it seems that nowadays I'm very unlucky. Ok, let me start telling you what I want to create:

I have a video footage, a road. It's taken with a hendheld camera. No cars, or moving sruff on the road, just a basic shot from one point, siwth some camera movement.

What I want to do is:

I want to open a block of hole in the asphalt, and make that block of asphalt levitate in the air.

This seems easy in the beginning, but I tried it hard with no chance on mapping (of the ground, and of the piece.)

My footage is tracked (with boujou) I do not have any problems there, I just do not know how to cut the piece and levitate in the air, because it seems impossible to texture the top surface of the levitating block. (it must be the the video footage itself - but it is impssible to do it becuse when I change the angle, the frontal mapping does not change so that it seems weird).

it did. But the problem is, things does not workd the same in c4d like they do in max.

basicly, c4d does not have a matte material to -just- drop shadows and reflections onto it, thats a HUGE problem for me.

The second problem is, I am unable to "stick" a tracked and projected texture to my created geometry, that makes me impossible to animate the created geometry (like, the piece of asphalt)

it did. But the problem is, things does not workd the same in c4d like they do in max.

basicly, c4d does not have a matte material to -just- drop shadows and reflections onto it, thats a HUGE problem for me.

The second problem is, I am unable to "stick" a tracked and projected texture to my created geometry, that makes me impossible to animate the created geometry (like, the piece of asphalt)

Try This

Masterful - a website devoted to giving a whole new level to the sarcastic reply. It could have been made for Mograph.

Chris - you sober enouhg to type? What you doing? It's bloody Christmas!

Edited by basilisk

@basilisk

huh :huh:

@c.smith

Whats the relationship between this topic and shadowcaster ?

Also I tried it and it just creates bad alphas... which becomes unusable if you're trying to get multipass renders and if your objects are going BELOW the floor.

Whats the relationship between this topic and shadowcaster ?

You mean shadow CATCHer. It's a surface you use to catch shadows (or reflections) so you can render them as a separate pass for compositing. So unless you phrased your question wrong, then it has everything to do with what you're asking. People do it all the time so I would check your methods before claiming the software doesn't allow it. WHat method re you doing that is creating bad alphas? Have you used the composting tag yet? If you aren't specific in what you are doing, then no one can be specific with a usable answer.

Are you doing a correct camera projection? Because you said you were using frontal projection and that won't do what you want. You shouldn't need to even worry about sticking the texture unless your object itself is moving. If it's just the boujou cam moving then you are fine.

You mean shadow CATCHer. It's a surface you use to catch shadows (or reflections) so you can render them as a separate pass for compositing. So unless you phrased your question wrong, then it has everything to do with what you're asking. People do it all the time so I would check your methods before claiming the software doesn't allow it. WHat method re you doing that is creating bad alphas? Have you used the composting tag yet? If you aren't specific in what you are doing, then no one can be specific with a usable answer.

Are you doing a correct camera projection? Because you said you were using frontal projection and that won't do what you want. You shouldn't need to even worry about sticking the texture unless your object itself is moving. If it's just the boujou cam moving then you are fine.

Yes, sorry. You're right about the shadow "catch"er.

But the plugin just crates an alpha channel, which is not good for my spesific condition (I have some geometries goin below the ground plane, so that with alph channel the render camera just sees what's under the ground because of the created alphas)

I'm using my render cam as my projection camera. So it is totally correct.

I also did try it with duplicating the same camera, and using the render cam as the RENDER cam only, and using the other duplicate as the projection cam only. Nothing changed. The projected image just..... can't be sticked.......

I do worry about sticking it, because my object moves, and it distorts. It has a random effector (in point mode) to distort the geometry only. But weirdly, it just.... doesnt work.

About my shadowcatcher method, I can only do the method (because I do not know any other methods in c4d) of "frontal projecting" the same image (or vide footage) as the texture of my "ground plane", and that even gets things worse, makes me unable to use multipass and GI multipass while compositing.

Yes, sorry. You're right about the shadow "catch"er.

But the plugin just crates an alpha channel, which is not good for my spesific condition (I have some geometries goin below the ground plane, so that with alph channel the render camera just sees what's under the ground because of the created alphas)

I'm using my render cam as my projection camera. So it is totally correct.

I also did try it with duplicating the same camera, and using the render cam as the RENDER cam only, and using the other duplicate as the projection cam only. Nothing changed. The projected image just..... can't be sticked.......

I do worry about sticking it, because my object moves, and it distorts. It has a random effector (in point mode) to distort the geometry only. But weirdly, it just.... doesnt work.

About my shadowcatcher method, I can only do the method (because I do not know any other methods in c4d) of "frontal projecting" the same image (or vide footage) as the texture of my "ground plane", and that even gets things worse, makes me unable to use multipass and GI multipass while compositing.

I didn't mean use that plug in of the same name. "shadow catcher" is a general term used in all 3d programs to mean a surface that is in place of real geometry that receives shadows at the correct position to look like the shadow fell on the correct plane. Did you look at the link from Maxon where they used a shadow catcher plane to composite a 3d trash can onto a street and curb? It was in that google search.

yes I did. and its using frontal mapping.

So how can I distort my ground / objects ? (they have frontal texture)

the only thing that came up to my mind, was to use a projected texture instead of a frontal one, and stick it.

But it seems impossible.

yes I did. and its using frontal mapping.

So how can I distort my ground / objects ? (they have frontal texture)

the only thing that came up to my mind, was to use a projected texture instead of a frontal one, and stick it.

But it seems impossible.

Perhaps you're trying to get too much done (too quickly) without understanding the fundaments of C4D or Projection Modes. The language you're using to describe your problem reveals it. Your approach is the only thing that's impossible. Before posting 50 request across several forums... Have you bothered running a simple test to see if Frontal Projection works with the stick texture tag? I'm guessing you haven't, because it doesn't.

-m

But it seems impossible.

Here is a project file of a camera projection with a texture that distorts with the object. It's very simple. But they told you how to do this on the CGTalk thread you posted (Generate UVWs). So we've shown that you can make shadow catchers in C4D and distort an image that has been camera mapped.

In the project file, look through the main camera (not the editor cam). Go to the twist deformer and change the 'angle' parameter. You'll see that the camera mapped projection distorts along with the cube.

Perhaps you're trying to get too much done (too quickly) without understanding the fundaments of C4D or Projection Modes. The language you're using to describe your problem reveals it.

Bingo: I've been there myself --it's almost impossible to get started in 3d without having a lofty goal to work towards, but not knowing enough about the tools hinders progress of getting anywhere near that goal.

Sorry Underdream, but it's time to bone up on the basics before moving on to the more advanced (practical) applications thereof. Stick with it though!

Ah sorry ?

I've beed awarded with my animations 4 times, all c4d; well I do not think I have a little info about the "basics", sorry.

Well, the problem is, probobly my english, and how I use it.

Ok here is an example file:

http://www.undream.net/cameramatch_software_low.mov

as you can see, the plane is PROJECTED with the same BG video. And it has a stick tag.

The distorts do apply, but it weirdly does not render.

I'm not trying to stick a frontal projection. I'm just asking a way to do this, as it can be rendered. Thats why I'm asking, otherwise, I would do it myself.

Im not asking something to learn if it works. I'm trying to find a solution to my froblem. C4D is used commonly in vfx enviroment, and I'm unable to find ANYONE who can answer some basic questions..

No offense.

Edited by undream

Can you explain why my example project i just made you does not answer your question? Did you not ask how to stick a texture onto a distorting object that has a camera projection? That's what I did. What else are you asking for?

Can you explain why my example project i just made you does not answer your question? Did you not ask how to stick a texture onto a distorting object that has a camera projection? That's what I did. What else are you asking for?

Sure.

As you can see in my software render example, I want to use the mapping woth tracked footage. When I uvw map my ground, the texture changes over time (because it is not a stable video).

Thats why I needed to use the same tracked footage with the same projected mapping from the same camera.. That way both of them would be the same.

Sure.

As you can see in my software render example, I want to use the mapping woth tracked footage. When I uvw map my ground, the texture changes over time (because it is not a stable video).

Thats why I needed to use the same tracked footage with the same projected mapping from the same camera.. That way both of them would be the same.

So why not use 1 non-blurred frame from your movie to map as a still? They suggested this on CGTalk but it didn't say if you tried that or not.

So why not use 1 non-blurred frame from your movie to map as a still? They suggested this on CGTalk but it didn't say if you tried that or not.

because my surface is changing pattern.

Think of a disco ground, with disco lights moving on.

I need that movement. Thats why I cant use a single frame.

because my surface is changing pattern.

Think of a disco ground, with disco lights moving on.

I need that movement. Thats why I cant use a single frame.

Then project your video using camera mapping onto a plane where your surface should be. If tracked right then the surface video should lock to the plane because your boujou camera is making up for the movement of the video. Use a second camera that is STILL and shoot the plane flat from above and render that out to it's own movie. That way you have a separate movie where the video has been 'stabilized'. Bring that new rendered video in and camera project it from the camera you rendered it from. Then Generate UVWs on the plane so the new video will stick to the plane. Now you can distort that plane and the video will distort with it while still looking like it's camera mapped from the original camera.

Good luck.

Good luck.

...and goood bless :rolleyes:

PS: on CS daylight, do you think you can have the shadows switchable to area, or soft shadows ? ( no xmas presents this year :)

Edited by stoiqa

@C.Smith

thank you for the reply. I guess this is something close to texture baking. I could solve the problem by baking the projected texture (over the plane) but that seemed like a loss of time to me. I thought there could be some other ways around. But I guess, no.

@stoiqa

I did not get the question about the daylight... Maybe its my english.

Undream-

its interesting that your three threads have coalesced into this one...

like monkey points out youre trying to do too much

CS's explanation is the way to go with workflow you want, you need to stabilise it in that way.

You should probably simplify your project

ps. thanks CS for the present =)