Sign in to follow this  
viana

photorealistic flowers

hi there guys

does anyone here have done something similar to the "National geographic's"

lookalike flowers flourishing through time. The usual is stop motion.

i have been asked to do it 3d (c4d).

the thing is the shaders. i have been playing around with sss but no satisfying result.

Can't find any good plant material libraries that can be up to the job.

i send you the link to the flower requested.

flower image

best

Ricardo

a lot of trial and error is going to go into getting a flower to look that nice in 3d. SSS is very tough (for me) to dial in exactly right. Make sure you are using real world scale in your scene and models and grab yourself some flowers to observe in the real world, not just in your browser.

Use photographic or real scanned images as textures. You'll be surprised how far you can get with

simple/basic lighting and shaders (no SSS).

Try to make the model as detailed as possible and introduce a lot of asymmetry and imperfection.

Lastly, make good use of depth of field (in post) and really massage the realism in the compositing stage.

All the flower and plant work on my site http://www.nakd.tv was completed with the above techniques in mind

and no fancy shaders.

Edited by Chris Bahry

Guest Sao_Bento
Use photographic or real scanned images as textures. You'll be surprised how far you can get with

Try to make the model as detailed as possible and introduce a lot of asymmetry and imperfection.

Lastly, make good use of depth of field (in post) and really massage the realism in the compositing stage.

All the flower and plant work on my site http://www.nakd.tv was completed with the above techniques in mind

and no fancy shaders.

Just to be clear, you mean to point the OP to the flowers in the Aveeno and Orchid spots, not the ones on the home page, right?

Nice stuff. The hairs on the edges of the leafs in the Aveeno spot really sell it.

and no fancy shaders.

That orchid looks amazing.

Thanks for the positive feedback gents!

Yes... I meant the Aveeno and Orchid spots... plus there is another flower (a Lilly)

under the 'Heart and Stroke' project page. I love fancy shaders and SSS, but on a

deadline it is much less stressful to rely on detailed texture work and compositing

tricks. If you watch the 'making of' breakdowns you'll see some good comparisons

of the raw renders vs. the finished output.

Thanks for the positive feedback gents!

Yes... I meant the Aveeno and Orchid spots... plus there is another flower (a Lilly)

under the 'Heart and Stroke' project page. I love fancy shaders and SSS, but on a

deadline it is much less stressful to rely on detailed texture work and compositing

tricks. If you watch the 'making of' breakdowns you'll see some good comparisons

of the raw renders vs. the finished output.

Hey Chris,

the open animation and print graphics for PAUSE NYC last year were great, too. I watched the open on the big screen in Tribeca and was blown away. I love the way you mix organic modeling with

realistic enviroments. Very nice work.

Cheers,

Curt

SSS is tough indeed, but i tried ealry on a projet to make a Shader that looks a little bit like an SSS shader by Connecting a Facing ratio node in gradiant and the result is connected to Incandescence its similar to a Falloff Shader in Max but i dont know about C4D so i think it should work.