Sign in to follow this  
theta

intel i7

I'm thinkin of building a new 64bit workstation and I got my eye on the Intel i7's. Just wondering if anyone's used a system yet with Adobe CS4 stuff and how it's compared to other workstations like the Mac Pro.

I'm thinkin of building a new 64bit workstation and I got my eye on the Intel i7's. Just wondering if anyone's used a system yet with Adobe CS4 stuff and how it's compared to other workstations like the Mac Pro.

If sources can be trusted, it beats Mac Pros flat hand. I haven't used any myself, but some users I've encountered so far that have, report a performance boost of 250% over even the most powerful Macs. It must be beastly.

Mylenium

I can say that I built a corei7 system less than a month ago and it SCREAMS! My setup is as follows...

Corei7 2.66ghz overclocked to 3.6Ghz

ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard

6GB DDR3 1600mhz memory (corsair dominator)

GTX 280 video card

Antec Quattro 1000w power supply

Thermalright ULTRA EXTREME heatsink

2-74GB Raptos in RAID-0

150GB Raptor

500GB WD

1TB External

Running Vista x64 and CS4

I haven't done any MAJOR testing but I can tell you this. Photoshop 64-bit LITERALLY opens in less than 1 second. I click on the icon and you BARELY have time to see the splash screen.

On my previous Dual core system I had a project that took 5 hours 26 minutes to render, my new i7 system does the EXACT same project in 54minutes!

Those are really the only tests I have done but those alone are pretty amazing numbers! I highly suggest building one, no offense to many of you...but its a HELL of alot cheaper than the Mac Pro. Everything EXCEPT the hard drives (cause i just migrated them from my old system) cost under $1300.

Jim

Yeah, I'm pretty much sold. That result right there is pretty impressive though. I already bought the processor today, along with a case and heat sink. ;) Just gotta finish getting the rest of my stuff and I'll be good to go, hopefully by next weekend.

I can say that I built a corei7 system less than a month ago and it SCREAMS! My setup is as follows...

Corei7 2.66ghz overclocked to 3.6Ghz

ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard

6GB DDR3 1600mhz memory (corsair dominator)

GTX 280 video card

Antec Quattro 1000w power supply

Thermalright ULTRA EXTREME heatsink

2-74GB Raptos in RAID-0

150GB Raptor

500GB WD

1TB External

Running Vista x64 and CS4

I haven't done any MAJOR testing but I can tell you this. Photoshop 64-bit LITERALLY opens in less than 1 second. I click on the icon and you BARELY have time to see the splash screen.

On my previous Dual core system I had a project that took 5 hours 26 minutes to render, my new i7 system does the EXACT same project in 54minutes!

Those are really the only tests I have done but those alone are pretty amazing numbers! I highly suggest building one, no offense to many of you...but its a HELL of alot cheaper than the Mac Pro. Everything EXCEPT the hard drives (cause i just migrated them from my old system) cost under $1300.

Jim

This is the first time I have even remotely considered buying anything but a Mac. I probably still won't but I really do have to consider it. I've been holding out for new Mac Pros...for about 5 months now. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer to see what Apple (eventually) comes up with...but I can guarantee that it'll be a few more bucks than $1300.

Edited by swaino

I researched my build for a good month before I bought anything. Im a huge bargain shopper so in that month I compared prices, waited form some prices to drop, check out rebates, etc. Just keep in mind that the $1300 was after like $100 worth of rebates and about another $50 in cashback. If I got everything right away and didnt wait for prices to drop here and there, it would have been arounf $1800. If you shop around, you may be able to get it for under $1300 now as a few things i bought are already a bit cheaper.

I have nothing against the MAC at all, they are excellent machines....I just cannot pass up the price of just bilding my own PC. You get what you want...its cheap..and its fun to build!

Jim

I'm rocking the corei7 too (my build is almost identical to Jim's). Did a quick test when I first got it last month using AECS3 - old dual core took 7 minutes to render the scene, new corei7 took 48 seconds. I haven't done much in C4D with it yet, but it was really nice to see my reflection-heavy scene with lots of area lights + shadows render almost instantly in HD.

Nothing against Macs, but I just priced out a similar-spec Mac Pro and it costs almost three times as much. If you're like me and you're really just using the Adobe Suite + C4D, it really doesn't make sense to pay that much more when the programs are identical anyway. You could buy two corei7 rigs and have double the render power and STILL save money. Never had a client that cared what OS I'm using, and the project files are interchangeable between the two platforms anyway.

ANYWAY, like I said nothing against Macs, I've just never had virus issues or blue screens of death or any of those problems that supposedly plague PCs, so I stick with whichever OS gives me the most bang for my buck.

Wow! Sounds like a sweet deal. I'm wondering if you would get even better performance with more ram. Isn't the multi-processor speed of After Effects directly related to that? 6G Ram seems a little low when utilizing all 8 cores.

Wow! Sounds like a sweet deal. I'm wondering if you would get even better performance with more ram. Isn't the multi-processor speed of After Effects directly related to that? 6G Ram seems a little low when utilizing all 8 cores.

Correct....I will be getting another 6 gigs of RAM soon. I wanted to just start with 6GB to test it out, make sure thingd were running ok, etc. So far so good!

ANYWAY, like I said nothing against Macs, I've just never had virus issues or blue screens of death or any of those problems that supposedly plague PCs, so I stick with whichever OS gives me the most bang for my buck.

Agreed...as long as you know how to properly maintain windows...you shouldn't have any blue screens or viruses. Ive been running windows for years and have NEVER had any problems when properly configured. I never even run any anti virus software and have not had any problems. I am just careful what sites I go to and what i download, etc.

Anyone here upgrade from a Core 2 Quad (45nm) to a Core i7? I'm curious how much of a performance boost the i7 + DDR3 offers over last-gen. I've already got a beefy Q9450-based system and am wondering whether I want to skip Core i7.

I have a Core i7 on order:

Intel Core i7 920

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT

Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme

6GB OCZ Intel i7 Triple Channel

PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 3700

Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD642JJ

LG GGW-H20L

Lian Li V1000 (from an older computer)

Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 (<- might get a 700W)

Looks like a decent system on paper, I'm waiting on a couple of components before I can start assembly. I hear lots of positive things about windows 7b7000, so it's going to run the beta of that.

I'm typing this on a quad core Xeon 3210, I'll try and render some stuff out when all is up and running...

I'm so tempted to do this since apple refuses to let us know when they're coming out with anything, but I'd be set back quite a bit by having to learn to function in windows again. There is, however, this thing and I was wondering if anyone had any impressions:

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/efi-x-usb-v1-reviewed/

apple won't update the mac pros until intel releases the xeon core i7's. i know they pushed back the release date, not sure when they're supposed to be shipping. i'll be putting my original mac pro on ebay when they do.

Jim,

I am looking into building a new machine, and using some of your specs as a starting point. I am mulling over the GTX 280's right now (295's a bit too expensive at the moment), and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me which one you went with. There are like 25 different versions. The one I'm eying right now is: Newegg

Any info would be appreciated. And I'll post the full specs when I get it finalized.

Jim,

I am looking into building a new machine, and using some of your specs as a starting point. I am mulling over the GTX 280's right now (295's a bit too expensive at the moment), and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me which one you went with. There are like 25 different versions. The one I'm eying right now is: Newegg

Any info would be appreciated. And I'll post the full specs when I get it finalized.

Sure!

I went with the EVGA GTX280. I choose EVGA becasue I have had several video cards from them in the past and every single one has never had a problem. They also have a 90 day step up program when you can upgrade to a future release within 90 days (the GTX295 for example). I also went with the standard non-overclocked version as its cheaper and I just overclocked it myself. The model I got was 01G-P3-1280, which at the moment, I cant seem to find anymore. Must have phased them out for the 295. When I bought mine, i KNEW the 295 would be coming out. The reason I didn't wait is because I have plans on getting a second GTX280 for a third monitor in the near future and made more sense to get 2 of the lesser expensive models. For me, 2 GTX295's is out of the question!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions on my build! I put alot of time into it so im happy to share!

Jim

Thanks Jim, thats a big help!! I'm going with a different mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128374 because it supports more ram if needed. I know I will NEVER use anywhere near 24Gigs of ram, but its nice to know its there if needed. :)

Regarding overclocking the i7, did you have an easy time doing it? I am going to begin OC research soon, and I just want you're opinion on the difficulty. I'm not going crazy, the 3.66 you're getting out of it, is fine for my needs. So I'm shooting for the same range.

Thanks Jim, thats a big help!! I'm going with a different mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128374 because it supports more ram if needed. I know I will NEVER use anywhere near 24Gigs of ram, but its nice to know its there if needed. :)

Regarding overclocking the i7, did you have an easy time doing it? I am going to begin OC research soon, and I just want you're opinion on the difficulty. I'm not going crazy, the 3.66 you're getting out of it, is fine for my needs. So I'm shooting for the same range.

Well the Motherboard I have now supports up to 24GB of memory thanks to the current BIOS update, however my motherboard has some issues with its eSATA port and is a universal problem across many, if not all of the P6T Deluxe motherboards. The Gigabyte one you are looking at should be a fine choice.

As far as overclocking, i had never overclocked before and new nothing about it. But after a month of researching i felt comfortable with what i was doing and let me tell you...it could NOT have been easier! Its a little time consuming when you want to test out your overclock to see if the system runs stable but the overclocking itself is VERY easy. I just suggest you get a really good heatsink/fan combination for maximum heat dissapation as the i7 runs a bit hotter than previous processors. To be honest I actually had it overclocked to 4.0 ghz with air cooling but i wasn't comfortable with the temperatures I was getting so i backed down just to be safe. Bottom line, there is ALOT of overclocking room with this new processor!!

Im more than happy to help with anything further!

Jim

if you guys dont need to upgrade right now, the new i7 revisions are right around the corner http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e....hkepc.com/2344

The 920 is going to have new stepping for better overclocking, and the 965 (950 replacement) is going to be at 3.2ghz (for those that dont want to oc)

And they are going to be the same price.

Edited by supaidaaman

if you guys dont need to upgrade right now, the new i7 revisions are right around the corner http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e....hkepc.com/2344

The 920 is going to have new stepping for better overclocking, and the 965 (950 replacement) is going to be at 3.2ghz (for those that dont want to oc)

And they are going to be the same price.

Grrr...i hate when this happens. I guess thats what I get for getting something when it first comes out! Its ok, Im very happy with my rig :)

Jim

Hey Jim,

Do you know of any reasonably comparable cards to the GTX 280's? I'm kind of bummed out to find out that the 280's don't have DisplayPorts. I was looking forward to upgrading to a 30" in a few months, and I just read you need DisplayPort on the card to get the max resolution.

Any ideas?

Hey Jim,

Do you know of any reasonably comparable cards to the GTX 280's? I'm kind of bummed out to find out that the 280's don't have DisplayPorts. I was looking forward to upgrading to a 30" in a few months, and I just read you need DisplayPort on the card to get the max resolution.

Any ideas?

Honestly I dont know. Im not too familiar with the Display Port. I know some people are saying the ATI 4870x2 is pretty comparable, but I dont know if it has a Display Port or not.

Good Luck!

Jim

Just finished building my i7 computer a few weeks ago. It's fast....very fast.

Here's some specs in case anyone wants to know

i7 920

EVGA x58 motherboard

6GB Corsair Dominator RAM

300GB WD Velociraptor HD (planning to upgrade to a RAID 0 setup soon)

GeForece GTX 280 video card

Windows 2008 server x64

Antec p182 case

Let me know if anyone has questions, I may be able to help out while the whole process I went through is still fresh in my mind