Sign in to follow this  
theta

intel i7

xdozex, Here ya go.

Video Card -

BFG Technologies NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 OC 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphic Card

Motherboard -

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Although, I'm not using SLI, I still went with the EVGA board, because their support is fantastic. Really great user boards with fast bios updates, overclocking help, etc.

Edited by theta

theta,

Did you buy a fan for your cpu or are you using the stock heatsink that came with your i7? I heard that they overheat easily and that the stock fan was junky.

I heard the same thing, so I went with a Noctua NH-U12P heatsink.

idle temp is I want to say somewhere 30's C i believe now.

Intel i7 kicks ass! But still doesn't top my 8 Core Mac Pro (3.2Ghz).

Make sure to get this fan if you want your CPU to live longer/cooler and your system to stay quieter.

Edited by hyp3

Alrighty, IF my fan arrives today, tonight I'm gonna start my build. I'm not planning on any serious overclocking immediately, I wanna run a 2 day test on the CPU to make sure I didn't get a bum revision. but after that I want to begin to OC. Jim, I noticed you said you were running at 3.6. I was also reading that many were able to get a stable 3.8 - 4.0. Being unfamiliar with over clocking, I really don't want to push it and would be content in the 3.5 - 3.6 range. My fan is supposed to be one of the two best ones out for the i7.

I'm just wondering if you would share any resources or guides you followed for your overclock process on your build.

Thanks again!

Mark

Please, please buy the damned thing.

It is depressing how Mac users don't have a clue the pure

crappola pcs are.

You want that big old hotrod? Fork up your money, and

grab one.

This is the first time I have even remotely considered buying anything but a Mac. I probably still won't but I really do have to consider it. I've been holding out for new Mac Pros...for about 5 months now. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer to see what Apple (eventually) comes up with...but I can guarantee that it'll be a few more bucks than $1300.

Whats so bad about PCs? As long as you know to PROPERLY configure Windows to run smoothly, i have NO problems...and I saved about $1000 by not getting a Mac. Im not dissing Macs at ALL, I love em, I just have NEVER had a problem with my PC...EVER.

Jim

Alrighty, IF my fan arrives today, tonight I'm gonna start my build. I'm not planning on any serious overclocking immediately, I wanna run a 2 day test on the CPU to make sure I didn't get a bum revision. but after that I want to begin to OC. Jim, I noticed you said you were running at 3.6. I was also reading that many were able to get a stable 3.8 - 4.0. Being unfamiliar with over clocking, I really don't want to push it and would be content in the 3.5 - 3.6 range. My fan is supposed to be one of the two best ones out for the i7.

I'm just wondering if you would share any resources or guides you followed for your overclock process on your build.

Thanks again!

Mark

I got ALL of my overclocking info on the i7 from HardForum. There are several threads dedicated to the i7 overclock so I used those as guideline. Most of it was just trial and error. I too, was able to get it up to 4.0ghz, but I felt more comfortable running it at 3.6.

Jim

I've been considereing picking up one of these i7's to OC. I currently am running a Core 2 Quad q6600 OC'd to 3.2ghz. Can anyone attest to a signigicantly noticeable speed bump in the new i7's from the quads? or should I hold off and wait for the next generation of chips?

And to those speaking of Windows being difficult to work with, it really isn't that bad. I work on a PC at home and a Mac just about everywhere else, and the worst thing about it is adjusting yourself to keyboard shortcuts. Maintaining a Windows PC isn't that hard either, like someone else said maintain it properly and you'll be good to go.

I'll just go ahead and ask what'll probably turn out to be a stupid question:

Could you overclock one of the new i7 octo macs?

If you could, would it require putting in a better fan and all that?

I'll just go ahead and ask what'll probably turn out to be a stupid question:

Could you overclock one of the new i7 octo macs?

If you could, would it require putting in a better fan and all that?

Since Mac's don't have BIOSes, I would say no.

I really don't recommend overclocking at all, unless you build a machine with proper cooling and not spend this much money on one. Overclocking is done well on consumer level motherboards. The Mac Pro's use server/workstation motherboards.

If you get the highest end Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM (Good thing Apple doesn't charge up the ass for the new RAM) then you are going to have a screaming machine. No need to overclock it at all.

What is your current system Binky? If it's a G5, trust me, once you get this machine you wouldn't want to overclock anything. Oh and say goodbye to render breaks -_-

Edited by hyp3

I've been considereing picking up one of these i7's to OC. I currently am running a Core 2 Quad q6600 OC'd to 3.2ghz. Can anyone attest to a signigicantly noticeable speed bump in the new i7's from the quads? or should I hold off and wait for the next generation of chips?

And to those speaking of Windows being difficult to work with, it really isn't that bad. I work on a PC at home and a Mac just about everywhere else, and the worst thing about it is adjusting yourself to keyboard shortcuts. Maintaining a Windows PC isn't that hard either, like someone else said maintain it properly and you'll be good to go.

No, don't upgrade yet.

Wait a while until the i7 gets tossed around in the market. Newer/faster clocked CPU's will come out with lower price tags. Your Q6600 is not a bad CPU at all.

Remember if you go i7, you have to upgrade your motherboard, cpu and RAM. If you're looking for some kind of upgrade, you can get a good motherboard and RAM, and use your current CPU for now until the CPU prices drop.

Really, it's going to be a year or two until Intel releases a newer architecture. We can't keep up with the changes anyway.

Edited by hyp3

Thanks Jim, I'll check out the forum for OC'ing info. I finally got the computer built and running yesterday. It's a beast of a machine, but unfortunately, I'm having some Audio and LAN issues. From what I'm reading the LAN could be corrected with a few methods, but the lack of audio may cause me to have to disassemble and then RMA the motherboard, which makes me want to punch myself in the throat.