Sign in to follow this  
dpi

distortion/reflection/mirror onto a balloon?

I want to reflect on just one layer (the balloon) ... I'm really stuck :unsure:

Like this:

20080601-153004-1.jpg

However this is what I ended up with; the scene below - this was another test using: (material options from another layer > cast shadows >only)

comp30000114uq3.jpg

Edited by dpi

Uh, not to state the obvious, but the top one is a mylar balloon and the bottom one just looks like a regular latex. That wouldn't be reflective. But maybe I'm missing what you're trying to do here.

Uh, not to state the obvious, but the top one is a mylar balloon and the bottom one just looks like a regular latex. That wouldn't be reflective. But maybe I'm missing what you're trying to do here.

not as detailed as the 'mylar'! a rough scene that can be seen through the balloon - distorted image.

balloon-dog-lg.jpg

Edited by dpi

To be optically accurate, the view through a thin air-filled balloon won't be distorted at all. You can see that in the reference photo with the dog. The rendered one above is a sort of red-glass balloon, acting like a lens. Very candylike, to my eye. The traditional "warped white square" on a drawn or cartoon balloon is a speculated nearby window...

I'd guess in either case (surreal hard-candy lens-balloon or air-filled reflective) having the balloon be aspherical and tumbling or wobbling a little, affecting the see-through or the reflection, would help sell it.

To be optically accurate, the view through a thin air-filled balloon won't be distorted at all. You can see that in the reference photo with the dog. The rendered one above is a sort of red-glass balloon, acting like a lens. Very candylike, to my eye. The traditional "warped white square" on a drawn or cartoon balloon is a speculated nearby window...

I'd guess in either case (surreal hard-candy lens-balloon or air-filled reflective) having the balloon be aspherical and tumbling or wobbling a little, affecting the see-through or the reflection, would help sell it.

thanks for the reply, really helpful.

I'll post some new renders later today. hopefully get your feedback too!

Edited by dpi

it may be cheesier than what you're looking for - but if you take your balloon in ae, use the ballon as an alpha matte and your other layer with caustics you can force the look you're goin for...