Sign in to follow this  
thomwill

isometric ae...

i feel like i already know the answer to this question, but i'm gonna throw it out there anyway. is there any way to do a true 3d isometric view in after effects? i did a search and came up with the solution of using a ridiculously long focal length, which more or less works. just wondered if there was some other trick.

thanks.

i feel like i already know the answer to this question, but i'm gonna throw it out there anyway. is there any way to do a true 3d isometric view in after effects? i did a search and came up with the solution of using a ridiculously long focal length, which more or less works. just wondered if there was some other trick.

thanks.

The Monkey and I made an Isometric camera for C4D. And it morphs seamlessly between iso and perspective view (It's a mod of Easycam2). It also uses a null to move your cam around which is very easy to animate. You can create your cam in C4D and move the cam data over.

If you're interested, The Monkey can post it :).

The Monkey and I made an Isometric camera for C4D. And it morphs seamlessly between iso and perspective view (It's a mod of Easycam2). It also uses a null to move your cam around which is very easy to animate. You can create your cam in C4D and move the cam data over.

Hey Chris,

I am totally interested! :)

I did the long focal length thing a while ago.....thanks!

that sounds awesome. totally interested. thanks.

Edited by thomwill

I did the long focal length thing a while ago.....thanks!

Ours uses a long focal length as well, however with the null used to animate it makes up for any distance problems. Also when you do need to go to a normal perspective cam that is up close to the subject it uses an exponential animation curve so it looks like a normal Easycam blend and you can't tell it just traveled thousands of units to get there.

Hopefully Monkey will show. I have it on an octo Mac that is unhooked on a closet floor right now.

Hello everyone.

Sorry for the delay. Late night.

Here is the last version of the ISOcam for C4D.

This is sample of what it does.

Overview

The ISOcam System contains 3 Cameras: the ISOcam, the PERSPECTIVEcam, and the RENDERcam.

If you ONLY want to work in isometric you can easily animate the ISOcam's zoom with the Zoom Slider and the location with the ISOcam Locator.

If you want to morph between cameras, simply animate the PERSPECTIVEcam as you would a normal camera and look through the RENDERcam to see the results. Use the UserData fields to control speed, ease, turbulence, and rotational adjustments.

--

I was going to try to explain things in greater detail and clean up the nodes, but I think it's better to put this out there and answer any questions anybody has after the fact. Most of you will be farmiliar with it anyway if you use CS_Tools. The final version of this node tree was catered to the particular job I was working on. I'm not share what version I handed back to you last Chris, but these were the major changes.

1) I changed the interface from secs to frames (Frames RULE!)

2) Added a dynamic naming convention (to keep track of multiple ISOcams in one scene)

3) The movement of the ISOcam is determined by a null constrained to the floor called the ISOcam Locator.

-m

1) I changed the interface from secs to frames (Frames RULE!)

I see what you did there, hater. :P

See if I help you again when you call drunk at 2am from a prison in Mexico needing an ISO cam. :)

very cool. how does it work coming into ae? does it translate ok?

awesome guys! thanks a ton.

You'll have to bake the global keys from the render cam (if you use the animation to perspective) or from the ISO cam if you don't use the perspective cam. But if baked right it SHOULD work fine in AE.

Your best bet is to create a new cam and pipe the global matrix from the wanted cam to the new cam then bake that. If you bake the rendercam itself, it will bake all zeroes because it's local coords are always zero because it's parented to moving nulls.

You'll have to bake the global keys from the render cam (if you use the animation to perspective) or from the ISO cam if you don't use the perspective cam. But if baked right it SHOULD work fine in AE.

Your best bet is to create a new cam and pipe the global matrix from the wanted cam to the new cam then bake that. If you bake the rendercam itself, it will bake all zeroes because it's local coords are always zero because it's parented to moving nulls.

:huh:

have to give it a go i guess. thanks again!

Edited by thomwill

the monkey is miles ahead on C4D dopeness. its been this way for a while, and once I get my head around old monkey sample files, he drops new ones like this

i would even pay some bucks to see a video with the monkey or shris talking through the wiring of one or some of these amazing expresso rigs

Edited by jablinko

i would even pay some bucks to see a video with the monkey or shris talking through the wiring of one or some of these amazing expresso rigs

I keep meaning to make some movies for how to do Xpresso stuff. One day....

If someone actually tries pulling this into AE could they please confirm or deny wether it works?

In theory it should but I was a little worried the extreme units might cause problems.

I finally got around to testing it in AE. I can confirm that it works just as it should. Thanks again!

If you ONLY want to work in isometric you can easily animate the ISOcam's zoom with the Zoom Slider and the location with the ISOcam Locator.

Hey Monkey.

Just playing around with this for a project at the moment. Going to keep the isometric view for the whole sequence so no morphs. I can't seem to use the ISOcam Locator Null to animate on Y-Axis though. Is this protected / locked for any reason? Or am I missing something??

Thanks

I can't seem to use the ISOcam Locator Null to animate on Y-Axis though. Is this protected / locked for any reason? Or am I missing something??

It was locked to the ground plane on purpose since ISO cams are supposed to kill depth perception, the intent was to only use it on one level. However if you want to unlock the Y position:

Click on the Xpresso tag and at the top is the ISO cam locator node that has a Global Y input. It is being fed a 0 (zero) from the constant node. Right click on that input and delete the input so it looks like this:

isopic.png

Then you can move the locator in Y as well.