Sign in to follow this  
thomwill

isometric ae...

The Monkey and I made an Isometric camera for C4D. And it morphs seamlessly between iso and perspective view (It's a mod of Easycam2). It also uses a null to move your cam around which is very easy to animate. You can create your cam in C4D and move the cam data over.

If you're interested, The Monkey can post it :).

Would you stop making cool stuff for the 3D tool I DON'T own :S

-gl

@Monkey - could you provide any tips on creating the look of the airport example - it's fantastic - I'm assuming sketch n toon was involved?

Why... I'm so glad you asked!

The materials are a blend of S&T and standard shaders.

The base Material contains only 2 simple shaders.

• Diffuse Channel - Ambient Occlusion
  • Luminance Channel - Falloff Shader

If you have never used a Falloff Shader they're very handy. A Falloff Shader renders 3D gradients along a given vector in a given space (a Fresnel Shader is actually a Falloff Shader with its vector always pointing to the camera). It calculates how the gradient is applied to the object by comparing the vector to the surface normal of each polygon.

If you open up the included scenefile and take a look at the houses you will see that the exterior walls are brighter on one side and darker on the other. This is because I set my Falloff Shader to an angle where this would occur. You may also notice that the windows/doors are the "opposite" value. I did that by simply selecting the geometry and reversing the polygon normals. That caused the falloff shader to interpret the surface "backwards" which allowed me to easily change value contrast between surfaces without having to use more than one texture (as the base).

The Lines were all done with S&T using a combination of thin and fat lines that mostly follow the line-weight rules of classical drafting. They adjust their thickness based on their proximity to the camera (but were fine tuned to my particular project needs).

I included my parking lot of cars to show how this could also be easily used with the Mograph Module to create hue deviation as well.

Monkey_ISO-Shading File

Monkey_ISO-Shading.jpg

-m

Awesome scene file, and great breakdown, thanks, Monkey! I played around a bit before trying to mimic that look for some tests I was doing, but I never thought to use materials that way. This is very helpful. The reversing normals tip was really excellent. I've always just used more materials.

Wow, elegant simple stuff! I love the outlines around the cars. What's that furthest-right Mograph selection tag doing on the Car Cloner object?

What's that furthest-right Mograph selection tag doing on the Car Cloner object?

Glad you asked!

... that does nothing. :P

I think at one point I was going to use 2 separate selections... one for color one for rotation and in the end the detail was negligible so I shoved them both into one.

-m

Your best bet is to create a new cam and pipe the global matrix from the wanted cam to the new cam then bake that. If you bake the rendercam itself, it will bake all zeroes because it's local coords are always zero because it's parented to moving nulls.

Since I just spent 45 minutes pulling my hair out, to expand on this a bit for my fellow XPresso Newbs - be sure to ALSO link the Focal Length of RENDERcam_01 to the Focal Length of your new cam, then it'll work like a charm.

Wow i this tool came like a charm for something i wanted to simulate, but im still pretty dumb to some basics i can't understand. Like how to move the camera downwards, so for instance frame 1 to 20 the object is being projected in standard isometric camera, then fram 20 to 40 the view is still isometric but not facing the top of the objetc but rather the lower part, like inverting the y axis so it still is isometric but the camera is watching the lower isometry. I know. I sorry if i don't make myself clear. I just want to do what this guy did in the video. I already found out some effectors he used, but i am still to be blamed :( im only two months old of C4D.

this is the video http://www.motionserved.com/Gallery/MTV_EMA_09_opener1/342929

so if someone is willing to help me find out more about the methods used appart from the camera thing i'll be very greatful and share lots of food an wine :H :lol:

Hey guys,

This tool looks like it might just save my butt!

I just developed a bunch of style frames for a big job- using iso projection...

Client loves it!

But then... after the client meeting- realized AE will not handle the iso projection! EEK!

Luckily, C_Smith and The Monkey are AWESOME!

Can someone explain the best method to "reverse" the process?

The rig goes from ISO -to- Perspective...

But I need it to go the other way around.

Actually, I need to be able to swap backwards and forth between them...

Is there a way to achieve this?

I am inexperienced with Xpresso, so If anyone can help here it would be greatly appreciated!

Without trying to be at all rude, there is a degree of urgency at my end (Stressing!!) :unsure:

EDIT:

I think what I need (which I cannot work out how to do)

Is to change the Xpresso to use an a/b slider instead of a start/duration; so that I can simply keyframe between the 2 views...

If anyone knows how to do this, I will be so so so thankful!

Or if anyone can suggest a better way, that would be great too!

Thanks, Nathan

Edited by floating.point

Hello everyone.

Sorry for the delay. Late night.

Here is the last version of the ISOcam for C4D.

This is sample of what it does.

Overview

The ISOcam System contains 3 Cameras: the ISOcam, the PERSPECTIVEcam, and the RENDERcam.

If you ONLY want to work in isometric you can easily animate the ISOcam's zoom with the Zoom Slider and the location with the ISOcam Locator.

If you want to morph between cameras, simply animate the PERSPECTIVEcam as you would a normal camera and look through the RENDERcam to see the results. Use the UserData fields to control speed, ease, turbulence, and rotational adjustments.

--

I was going to try to explain things in greater detail and clean up the nodes, but I think it's better to put this out there and answer any questions anybody has after the fact. Most of you will be farmiliar with it anyway if you use CS_Tools. The final version of this node tree was catered to the particular job I was working on. I'm not share what version I handed back to you last Chris, but these were the major changes.

1) I changed the interface from secs to frames (Frames RULE!)

2) Added a dynamic naming convention (to keep track of multiple ISOcams in one scene)

3) The movement of the ISOcam is determined by a null constrained to the floor called the ISOcam Locator.

-m

This is great. Thank you Mokey + C Smith.

Actually, I need to be able to swap backwards and forth between them...

Is there a way to achieve this?

I'm also really interested to see if someone could help out with this aspect of the xpresso as well. Thanks!

Edited by nukegara

+1 on this for me too please! This is an awesome solution, as I too just realized that I need to be able to go in and out of Iso. It looks like this has been dead for awhile now, but I'm hoping there's a solution out there.

Thanks for this guys, this is awesome and it saved my butt!

-Brian

I'm working on the priority list for things that we need to work on in the near, medium, and long term. I'm thinking that adding the ability to render out from the isometric views might be worth doing, but I'll need more than this to convince folks here to prioritize this work.

So, tell me how you'd use this / why you need it.