Sign in to follow this  
peddamat

Python for Cinema 4d

I thought I'd bring this thread over here for those not in the know.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=725937

Py4d integrates a Python interpreter into Cinema 4d along with hooks for all the major API functions. The possibilities are endless.

i41 have been extremely giddy about this. It taps the power of C++ without all the buashit to go along with it.

i41 have been extremely giddy about this. It taps the power of C++ without all the buashit to go along with it.

Exactly, and the best part is the vast number of available Python libraries that you can now hook into Cinema 4d. Stuff that previously required specialized plugins, can now be whipped up in a few hours.

I'm looking forward to adding hooks to my matplotlib (Matlab clone) scripts to create some insane visualizations.

Exactly, and the best part is the vast number of available Python libraries that you can now hook into Cinema 4d.

Great point. Never thought about using the vast resource of online stuff. Geez, even more giddy now :)

So where do you start to learn python for c4d? I am taking Python for Compositors on fxphd. What are the 3D hooks? Do you use Py4D Editor to type in the commands? Or Komodo Edit and open them via the "Scripts -> Run function"?

So where do you start to learn python for c4d? I am taking Python for Compositors on fxphd. What are the 3D hooks? Do you use Py4D Editor to type in the commands? Or Komodo Edit and open them via the "Scripts -> Run function"?

You can download it HERE. And check the docs on that site for a quickstart guide.