Sign in to follow this  
tomcat

carpal tunnel

The Mayo Clinic has a decent on-line resource for anyone suffering from carpel.

Down at the bottom, you can click previous or next. Some of the videos aren't

bad. I wouldn't consider surgery, because I know someone who tried it unsuccessfully.

A wrist brace is helping my co-worker, who is also considering acupuncture and physical therapy.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carpal-tu...99/PAGE=CP00007

Edited by tomcat

I wouldn't consider surgery, because I know someone who tried it unsuccessfully.

My wife had successful carpel surgery so does that make it a viable medical cure again?

Very good to hear. My own family members have had little luck with operations, that is the few who survived them.

My wife had successful carpel surgery so does that make it a viable medical cure again?
Edited by tomcat

I have no idea of this was related to carpal tunnel, but a few years ago I was having issues with numbness/tingling/pain in my hands and arms. I had some tests done and nothing conclusive was found. I ended up curing the whole problem by changing my desk. My previous one was just a bit higher but it was enough to cause all kinds of problems. I've got a second computer at that old desk now and if I use it for a while I can feel the same stuff coming back. Anyway, it's probably worth it to take a second look at the ergonomics of your entire workspace just in case.

I have no idea of this was related to carpal tunnel, but a few years ago I was having issues with numbness/tingling/pain in my hands and arms. I had some tests done and nothing conclusive was found. I ended up curing the whole problem by changing my desk. My previous one was just a bit higher but it was enough to cause all kinds of problems. I've got a second computer at that old desk now and if I use it for a while I can feel the same stuff coming back. Anyway, it's probably worth it to take a second look at the ergonomics of your entire workspace just in case.

Same problem here, 4 years at a fairly decent adjustable desk at my old studio using a wacom tablet and no problems whatsoever, the desks at my new job are dining tables from Ikea, I'm 6'4" and had to have my seat down real low, combine that with having to use an apple mouse and after 2 months of this, all of the fingers on my right hand went numb along with wrist pain and then a nerve in my shoulder pinched.... It ended up pretty sweet though, work got me a real nice chair, wacom and risers for the table.... and now I have no more problems :o

I tried braces and other mice. Then I found this...

There is a curve to get used to it, but I promise eventually it becomes normal. No more pain like I used to get. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present....

VERTICAL MOUSE!

twisted_silver.jpg

I own 2 now. One for home, and one to leave at current on-site client. You gotta stick with it. Eventually, normal mice become odd and painful to use.

Thanks for the link!

I tried braces and other mice. Then I found this...

There is a curve to get used to it, but I promise eventually it becomes normal. No more pain like I used to get. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present....

VERTICAL MOUSE!

twisted_silver.jpg

I own 2 now. One for home, and one to leave at current on-site client. You gotta stick with it. Eventually, normal mice become odd and painful to use.

I also have to chime and recommend the wacom tablet. I had one for years only using it for some photoshop tasks, but a couple of years ago I switched over to using it 100% of the time and have never looked back. Now, on the rare occasion I have to use a mouse, it becomes very obvious how good the pen is. Like someone already mentioned, it takes a few weeks to get used to, but once you do, it really is great.

Informative thread.

I think I will try to take the wacom advice. I find I can barely write with a pen anymore as my fine motor coordination has seemed to have atrophied. Over the past 6 months I have developed severe loss of circulation to my forearms. It hits me throughout the night and sometimes while I work. I think the wacom switch is a great idea--but will be tough to re acquanit myself in 3d.

Definitely go with a wacom. No wrist or hand pain at all in the last 5 years I've been using one.

The only time I had any pain associated with it was a couple years back, we had a big project at work with a tight deadline, and I was putting in about 15 hour days for 3 months straight. Towards the end I had pain in my right shoulder from moving my arm around so much on the big Intous 2 tablets. Other than that one instance, I've been pain-free.

hmmm, i love my wacom but i think i have a habit of squeezing the hell out of my pen cause my whole hand kills. or maybe it because im in the middle of painting out a nikon logo off a camera strap and camera from 237 frames. In some cases its on both the camera and the left and right of the strap. my knuckles love me right now.

Guest Sao_Bento
hmmm, i love my wacom but i think i have a habit of squeezing the hell out of my pen cause my whole hand kills. or maybe it because im in the middle of painting out a nikon logo off a camera strap and camera from 237 frames. In some cases its on both the camera and the left and right of the strap. my knuckles love me right now.

I know that one - I had to consciously make myself ease-up my grip on the pen. You might also try switching to a pen that is a bit different - like the Airbrush. It has a much thicker cross section, which kind of changes things up and has less tendency to cause cramps.

For the pen grip problem - I just bought some foam at Michaels Art and taped it around half the pen so I could still reach the button. It basically tripled the grip size, and I have no more clenched fist at the end of the day.

For the pen grip problem - I just bought some foam at Michaels Art and taped it around half the pen so I could still reach the button. It basically tripled the grip size, and I have no more clenched fist at the end of the day.

I think I saw people at Pixar that do that in some video. I love my tablet, I went with the smallest size at first to see if I'd like it, now need to purchase something larger. I recommend it to everyone. The only thing that is tough is when I'm using it in Ableton Live, when making music, sometimes making little automations becomes stressful.

Switched to a Wacom 6x11 about a month ago because of wrist problems. I was about to throw it out the window before the first week, but after that I can't think about going back to using a mouse again.

I agree with the clenched fist. I am going to have to try that foam trick. Someone else mentioned the Griffin Powermate. I though about that one but ended up getting the ShuttlePro2 because of the additional buttons. Could not say enough great things about that device.

http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/