Sign in to follow this  
pixelronin

After Effects CS4 Issue

Hello,

Just seeing if anyone else has gotten this yet? I have a more than adequent video card...etc...didnt have an issue in CS3

after effect cs4 unable to create drawing surface ...

Let me know if you have and if you found a fix for it...

Cheers!!

_pixel

Hello,

Just seeing if anyone else has gotten this yet? I have a more than adequent video card...etc...didnt have an issue in CS3

after effect cs4 unable to create drawing surface ...

Let me know if you have and if you found a fix for it...

Cheers!!

_pixel

Please provide the full text of the error message including it's ID code, if it has one. And also tell us, what your comp settings, graphics card, monitor res and so on are. Your truncated info is of no value in tracking down the problem.

Mylenium

Please provide the full text of the error message including it's ID code, if it has one. And also tell us, what your comp settings, graphics card, monitor res and so on are. Your truncated info is of no value in tracking down the problem.

Mylenium

I am having the same issue, I'm using Windows Vista 64bit with Adobe CS4;

there is no "ID" for this error, it only gives "Warning: Unable to create drawing surface"

My machine is a Mac eight core, 8 gigs of ram with a Gforce 8600.

The comp is 2k, but I'm only using still frames for now, still in animatic phase. I only get this error if I preview more than a minute in the timeline.

I've changed "open gl" to "Adaptive Resolution", and I still get the same error.

(I'm starting to think it's the video card driver, although I just updated a few days ago)

Any ideas? :)

Thanks,

Leo.

I am having the same issue, I'm using Windows Vista 64bit with Adobe CS4;

there is no "ID" for this error, it only gives "Warning: Unable to create drawing surface"

Ah, I see.

I was having the same problem, (or at least similar without knowing more details), it went away when I disabled OpenGL. (Vistax64 w/ 2x8800GTs)

I don't think it's a specific OpenGL thing, though. Those errors are 99% flagged with the 5000+ numbers. I would more assume that it's a generic canvas paint problem where the card(s) are not flushing a buffer. What driver version and resolution do you run? Any fancies enabled (hardware AA always on, transparent windows and such...)?

Mylenium

I also have this problem. I've tried with 4 different drivers for a Geforce 8800 GT and a Radeon HD 2400, and the problem persists...even if I disable opengl. I've also performed memtest 23 passes without errors so it's not the RAM.

/ Olle

This problem is being worked on, so hang in, boys. ;-)

Mylenium

Just found this thread. I'm having the same problem. I just loaded After Effects CS4 on my Vista Machine and I get the same error message "After Effects warning: unable to create drawing surface". I also notice garbage pixels, sometimes a mirror image of the viewer or sometimes the screen starts going screwy and I have to close out AE.

I've called in After Effects tech support and taken the following actions as advised: I've disabled OpenGL, I've downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers (I've even removed the existing driver before installing the updated one), and I've removed and reinstalled After Effects CS4. The problem just doesn't go away.

I'm almost tempted to go back to After Effects 6.5 that's still on my computer. At least that works, although I have to use an earlier version of QuickTime. Anyone who's found a fix for this, I'd be very interested.

Thanks,

TristanJeff

Your fix will be an After Effects 9.0.2 patch.

Mylenium

Thanks a lot. I went to the Adobe website and found a patch for 9.0.1 from 12/10/08. Do you find a

9.0.2 patch somewhere else? In any case, I'll find out from the Adobe Tech Support.

Cheers,

TristanJeff

Do you find a

9.0.2 patch somewhere else?

You will find it in the same place once it is released! ;-) Sorry for keeping this so ominous, but you know, damn NDAs...

Mylenium

I am really dissappointed about After Effects CS4, really dissappointed (I fight with myself to avoid lot's of f-words about Adobe, Microsoft and Apple - but especially ADOBE !!!!).

OK, I have the suspicion that perhaps Quicktime is a main reason of this problem. At least quicktime causes a lot of trouble in other applications on Windows 64 bit like Cinema4D or 3dsMAX. But however, I also blame ADOBE for this piece of....

Anyway, I have a Dell workstation with QuadroFX GPU (newest drivers and whatsoever, no questions about that).

With OpenGL After Effects is not usable at all !!!! When You ask me, I call this piece of software just crap, really annoying. It's not usable !!!!

Ok, so I deleted the OpenGL-plugin completely out of After Effects. (Definately better than just deactivating it in the prefs)

After Effects is getting sort of usable, but still quite unstable....

What then helped (unbelievable!!!), deleting the preferences file!!!

But, funny thing, after three or four days working without any problems at all, the problem came back, and guess what, once it was there it didn't dissappear anymore. What seems to help at least for a while. Reboot computer, DELETE prefs file again, start After Effects.

OK, my advice, get a sheet of paper an note your preferred changes in the prefs file, really useful! (I am not kidding, really great Adobe!)

Hey, Adobe, unbelievable You deliver such a piece of.... anyway... I bought CS4 because it's supposed to work on 64 bit Windows (Vista), my main problem with CS3 was Photoshop (really slow sometimes). So Photoshop is a great improvement now, but I hate After Effects CS4 and I want CS3 back !!!!!!!! How funny is that, probably I can reinstall the whole machine to get rid if all the CS4 crap on my computer to install CS3 again? Don't have the time at the moment, so all I can do is praying, that Adobe After Crash CS4 works for a couple of hours to get this job done. And I also can't go back with this job now, cause all the files are CS4 now. I am really frustrated.