Sign in to follow this  
FL@Vr

Need some feedback on my reel!

Hey, I really need some feedback on my work and site. All my friends and family are too nice, and I would really appreciate some critisism and thoughts about my work and how it's displayed from some people spend as much time as I do working on design and motion. Thanks in advance!

www.flavr.tv

Hey, I really need some feedback on my work and site. All my friends and family are too nice, and I would really appreciate some critisism and thoughts about my work and how it's displayed from some people spend as much time as I do working on design and motion. Thanks in advance!

www.flavr.tv

Hey Tom,

I've not managed to post my reel yet, but here goes:

Liked your stuff, but i think you have a ways to go before I go "wow!".

Things I liked - your intro, the coin toss, dancing ladies in the building and the basketball slomo. Things I disliked: some of your animation lacked snap and weight - looked like you could have accomplished more in less time, you know? A case in point is when those rainbow ribbons flow across a cityscape - the shot slows to a crawl. Also your particles looked like very separate elements to the rest of your scenes in most of the shots I saw, specifically the music video style piece near the start. Finally your camera moves were very choppy, particularly in the video wall piece. I also noted that in the furniture store ad "$100 rebate", the woman has absolutely horrendous chewy/crunchy edges. they really need pulling in!

all in all it hovers between convincing (ideas, execution, grasp of the "big concepts") and amateurish. fortunately the remedy for this is practice and technique, you're in the right place to learn the latter.

bear in mind I've only been doing this for about a year so take what I say with a pinch of salt - one of the more experienced mographers should be able to offer a more detailed critique.

Just like Dan had mentioned above...I like the intro and the penny toss but everything else seemed a bit bland. Some of the colors were over saturated and could be toned down a bit. The particles didn't seem like they blended in with the shot. Also try experimenting with the particles to get a unique look. Most of the particles looked like they were used from a preset provided by Trapcode. Also, I think there was a little too much "flourish" in your reel. Companies want to see your versatility. All in all it's a great start but I think it could use some more work.

Hi Tom,

Your montage is admittedly amateur, and rightly so because you're fairly new to this stuff. So what's more important at this point is probably that you try to define what it is that you want to convey with the montage. Presumably you're going to use it to court new clients, so you have to ask yourself how this montage is going to convince them that you can service them in specific ways. How are you going to meet their needs, and add value? Right now the montage is kind of all over the place. You have raw video footage, character animation, compositing, 3d stuff, logo animations... etc.. etc... And it's fine to be interested in all of that stuff, but you need to be strategic about showcasing any of it in your reel. There isn't a magical passage that I can write here to impart an understanding of how to go about this, just figure out WHY you need a reel/montage, and then craft it to accomplish that goal as well as you can. Who is your target audience? What do you need to convey to them? Be specific. The answer should not be anywhere near "I want rad studios to hire me cuz I'm rad, so i need a rad reel so they go 'Oh, RAD!'".

I will say that, overall, your montage is telling me that you're a beginner, that you have no design or animation background, a lack of attention to detail, and rudimentary editing skills. That's alright. Everyone starts somewhere. But it's important that you start building the fundamentals now. The more you understand and are practiced in all of the fundamentals of art, the more valuable you'll be to any employer in this industry. So now's the time to dive into it. Study, practice, study, practice. Set up a regimen. Take some courses. Read. Work. Crit. Look. Learn. Your interests will focus in naturally as you broaden your understanding.

Oh, and one specific note: I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the sport figure character animation comped into footage, but whatever it is, it needs to get the axe.

Binky is a tough act to follow, so I'm gonna keep this short.

Typography. Not to be too harsh here, but the type on your site would have stopped me from even bothering to watch the reel if I wasn't so desperate to avoid work today. It didn't get much better in the reel itself. IMO it's usually the most overlooked skill among new designers.

Some of those keyframes almost gave me whiplash. Master that Graph Editor and smooth those keyframes out like you got steam coming from yo finganails!!!!

Hey Tom-

I won't touch too much on the reel itself, since it looks like you're getting a round of constructive feedback on that front already.

Perhaps I can provide a different angle. As an EP who looks at dozens of reels and websites a day looking for the right talent for projects, I would recommend some spending some time on the site itself. There's not much use if a prospective doesn't get through the site itself and get to your actual reel.

The homepage (for instance) is not particularly flattering. It doesn't showcase much about you other than a sense of quirky personality. If you don't define the first thing a new client sees, they will do it on their own. For example, if you just look at the homepage, you would've thought you landed on the site of a photographer, not a motion designer. I would change the typography on the homepage as well, it's not particularly helpful.

Before looking at reels, I almost immediately go to the ABOUT page if there is one. Your "about" story could be tightened up a bit.

*What is your style known as?

*What do clients say positively about you?

*Where have you worked in the past, who are your clients?

*Where can you offer benefit to a broadcaster or marketing exec?

*Do you have a certain expertise area?

If you go back and read it, 2/3rds of your about bio tells me nothing about you creativity or work product.

The layout on the About Page is also a bit all over the place with carriage returns and words seemingly missing. For example, you state you've won awards and competitions. You should use the opportunity to say what those are.

I can tell you have a love of photography, and that's great. Perhaps you should pick some more of your lighthearted shots. Your contact page, for example, looks like we're looking at a graying warehouse of some sort. Again, all this communicates a certain sense of style to folks like myself who look at everything beyond the reel.

I hope this feedback is beneficial. As I said, good reels these days are really very common. Getting a sense of personal style and philosophy through a website helps folks like myself a great deal. It's the difference between me thinking "Nice Reel", and me picking up the phone and calling to talk about a potential project.

Denny

pick a new song, jazz up the edit. you really need to weed through all the crap in there and get rid of some things while tightening up other edits. There's no way that your reel should be longer than 1 minute. I'd also spend some time & think about re-designing your web presence. Also has anyone ever told you you've got a great NASCAR name? How long have you been in the industry for? Overall it seems like your just not putting the time in. the reel looks rushed, as does the website and the work.

Edited by aspekt