Sign in to follow this  
a2visual

Change start frame number in Cinema 4D

Is there a way to offset the starting frame number in C4D? Like in AE where you can change the comp starting frame number from 0 to whatever in the comp settings. I have a shot that I rendered out just a range (97-203) from in shake, then I brought that into C4D, animated to it on a timeline of 0-96. When I bring it back into shake I can line it up, but I would the frame numbers to match so that when I review my shot frame 147 will match in each program and I won't have to do the math.

I know, I know...probably should have thought this out better from the get go, but that'd be too easy. I also tried changing the movie in the material in C4D to Range instead of Exact Second, but the animation doesn't match up anymore when I do that.

Edit > Project Settings

Cmd+D or Ctrl+D

Set your range.

Yeah, but my animation still plays out from 0-96, that just changes my preview range. I don't think it's possible the way it is in AE. Instead of starting at frame 0, I want frame 0 to be renumbered frame 97.

Oh well, I know for next time to do a bit more planning, although I don't think it'd be a bad idea for C4D to have such an option.

Yeah, but my animation still plays out from 0-96, that just changes my preview range. I don't think it's possible the way it is in AE. Instead of starting at frame 0, I want frame 0 to be renumbered frame 97.

Oh well, I know for next time to do a bit more planning, although I don't think it'd be a bad idea for C4D to have such an option.

When you say "animation" you mean "material playback" don't you?

It can be done where you were... in the animation sub section of the texture channel.

Change the Movie Start and End times to the appropriate frames... change the timing to Exact Frame.

-m

When you say "animation" you mean "material playback" don't you?

It can be done where you were... in the animation sub section of the texture channel.

Change the Movie Start and End times to the appropriate frames... change the timing to Exact Frame.

-m

I tried that but all I get is white in the background. It seems as if it's changing the start and end time of the QT rather than where it plays. The only way I can get it to start playing at frame 97 is set the Timing to Range in the animation sub channel, but then my matchmoved geometry doesn't line up when I push my keyframes forward to start on frame 97 as well.

If it'll help I can try to upload a scenefile later.

I tried that but all I get is white in the background. It seems as if it's changing the start and end time of the QT rather than where it plays. The only way I can get it to start playing at frame 97 is set the Timing to Range in the animation sub channel, but then my matchmoved geometry doesn't line up when I push my keyframes forward to start on frame 97 as well.

If it'll help I can try to upload a scenefile later.

Please do if you find the time... it will be a good example for others.

-m

The file is linked below. I've included a low res QT of the footage for reference as well. Here's the process so far:

Imported the original footage into shake, set my range to 97-193, the part of the shot I want to use. Resized it, smoothed it, then rendered out a QT called komodo_3_roughStabilized_v2_97-193.mov.

In C4D, set my range to 0-96 (the duration of the shot), then added a background with a material with my footage in it. Match moved a rough head model and animated a piece of paper being eaten by the Komodo (which I removed from the scenefile for clarity). I then rendered out this animation as an image sequence, imported to shake, moved it to start on frame 97, all is well.

That is until I see a problem in shake, look at what frame it's on (say, 149) then go back to C4D to adjust that frame. But, there is no frame 149, so I have to subtract 149 from 97 to find out what frame I have to adjust. Not a big deal, but also a big waste of time and you have to go back and forth, etc, etc...

So, I thought I could change the QT in my Luminance channel to start on frame 97 and end on 193. I change the Timing to Range, set the range, then move all my keyframes so that the last keyframe on frame 96 is now on frame 193. I scrub my timeline and the matchmoved head no longer matches. Then I think I can just change start frame and that's where I'm stuck, if it's possible at all.

EDIT: After I typed all that I figured it out. I set my Range incorrectly when I first tried it and didn't realize it. For some reason I had "203" stuck in my head where I should of typed "193". Here's the corrected scenefile anyways for anyone that is following and may be confused.

www.andrewfallon.tv/goodies/offsetframe.zip

Just ran across this and was running in to the same problem. Here are my steps that gave me what I wanted (starting playback of a quicktime movies at certain places through out the animation):

1. Add the quicktime to a material as a color.

2. In the animation section of the material, set timing to Range.

3. Set the range you want the quicktime to play in the scene (the part(s) of your animation to fire off a new movie)

4. Select the start frame of the particular quicktime (this pertains directly to the movie)

5. Choose the end frame of your quicktime movie

6. Press Calculate (I think that resets the buffer, not sure)

7. Make a Preview Animation to test the section and make sure playback is correct

That should now set you up to start playback of multiple quicktimes throughout your scene at specified times for the desired section of your quicktime.

Hope this helps.

Guest Sao_Bento
hey man,

is there a reason why the QT has to be mapped to the luminance channel?

if you clear that channel and map it to the color channel, it will do what you want.

From TFM

"HDRIs can be used as textures in the Color channel or Luminance channel of materials. When using a Sky object, you can use it in either of these channels. For spheres used as environments you must use the Luminance channels."