Sign in to follow this  
abie silva*

Mock NFL promo

Here's my first real crack at putting together a broadcast piece. It's an idea for an NFL promo that I've had floating around in my head for months. This is actually still a WIP. I still have couple of things to do to it, including removing that dam lens flare that's leftover at the end of the vid. This is my first post and I know it can be rough here but I'm hood so I can take whatever anyone has to say. However, here are a couple of things that I would like to know for my own benefit.

1. Am I on the right track?

2. Do I have any talent at all?

3. I'm an artist and am never satisfied with my work, no matter how good other artists around me say it is. Is that normal?

These are legitimate questions that I'd like answered. Esp the 3rd one b/c it seems like I'm the only one going through that. Everyone else around me seems so confident about their work (esp here), but I lack that confidence at times. Does anyone here experience that as well? Enough gibberish here's the link...

Mock NFL promo for broadcast

1 - Ask yourself this: "If I just saw this NFL promo on TV would I say "Wow! That was badass motion design! I wonder who did that....sh_t! That was cool".

If the answer is no,....then ask yourself why? Did the concept seem good and the execution bad? Or was it technically awe-inspiring, but just a lame concept? Or both?

2 - Based off what? Seein 1 piece of WIP from you? Who knows.......

3 - Some people never think they are good when their work is incredible! and some people think their work is good when it sucks!........who knows whats normal...........

Edited by Dr. Jim

1 - Ask yourself this: "If I just saw this NFL promo on TV would I say "Wow! That was badass motion design! I wonder who did that....sh_t! That was cool".

If the answer is no,....then ask yourself why? Did the concept seem good and the execution bad? Or was it technically awe-inspiring, but just a lame concept? Or both?

2 - Based off what? Seein 1 piece of WIP from you? Who knows.......

3 - Some people never think they are good when their work is incredible! and some people think their work is good when it sucks!........who knows whats normal...........

Hmmm...okay. Great input. Thanks. I know what I need to do now. Now what would like to know and would help me even further is what you felt when you saw the vid? How did it strike you? Just by the way you answered my first question, you made me as myself questions that I never really thought about while in the creation process. And please be direct; I'd rather hear it here than not at all from a prospective employer. Thanks again.

Edited by cool_Hand_luke

i know its cool to see the full rez render with reflections and light interaction - but here's some advice i should follow myself also - learn to love your software renders, and just floss the hell out of what happens on the screen. then plan on some passes where you check the reflections and stuff and make sure nothing funky is happening in your full rez render.

that seems to me to be the habits of succesful 3d animators, really going the extra distance with the creativity. this type of thing will impress some lower end producer guys, but to my eye, I would say it seems like it took a half a day

I would look at other people's work that I like and ask myself "is my stuff as good as theirs, why? or Why not?"

I wouldn't worry about the talent issue, you either have it or you don't, there's nothing you can do about it. Work ethics and attitude is something that you can actively work on, and usually pays bigger dividends than talent alone. If you have talent that's a plus, but if you don't, remember there's always a work around.

The work can always be improved upon no matter how good it is, but deadlines nullify that one. I would work on being more efficient, work on and improve your technique.

Keep at it, and your hard work will pay off eventually.

What you seem to have done here is try to reproduce something you've seen on TV.

a ) If that's the case, then obviously you're on the right track, cuz I get what you're doing, but you need to pay attention to the details and understand why your version doesn't look as refined, polished, etc., as the original (this is harder than it seems at first).

b ) If that's not the case, then you're on the wrong track, cuz you have no concept and you're just copying something we've all seen a million times. You'll need to actually start with a goal in mind, generate some ideas, and go from there.

Edited by Binky

This piece isn't poorly executed. I think you've got a better handle on details than some folks' "first crack" work. The concept itself is a little bland though. To answer your question about how it strikes me at first: It feels very safe and familiar. Everyone's seen this type of thing before. To be completely honest it strikes me more as an election update bumper for CNN rather than a sports related piece.

Check out what blur put together a couple years ago for NFL on FOX. It's got a football feel, it's got action, and it's managed to shift the color palette away from red white and blue.

I wouldn't worry about the talent issue, you either have it or you don't, there's nothing you can do about it. Work ethics and attitude is something that you can actively work on, and usually pays bigger dividends than talent alone. If you have talent that's a plus, but if you don't, remember there's always a work around.

Well said, robot0.

Keep studying techniques and testing ideas rather than worry about talent. I'm under constant deadlines and enormous pressure everyday, it seems, but I still find time to relax and make something I know I'll likely never use. The idea of 'talent' is much too elusive to pay much credence to anyway. Keep a 35mm camera around. Maybe even a Lomo. Shoot something you think would make a nice texture or something you think you'd like to try modeling later. Fun activities like that keep me upbeat when day-job work gets me down/uninspired.