Sign in to follow this  
brett brinkerhoff

A little project I'm working on.

http://www.blublu.org/sito/video/muto.htm

I'm not sold on Rockwell, I just don't associate it with the graffiti movement. If you want to go for authenticity, then look into electro stuff like Hot Steak or Twilight 22 or older b-boy hip-hop of the early 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQeVGxA2KeA

I just wanted to go with something a little older. I actually chose that music for the line "Somebody's watching me". If you noticed in the 3rd shot I think, the characters eyes are following the skateboarder.

I do agree with the music style you suggested if I was trying to keep with the original graffiti movement though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Even though this idea has already been executed with more technical sophistication, the concept

isn't totally shopworn yet, and your piece has a fresh, fun feel.

On first superficial view, a slow start, and one glaring soft, feathered wipe in need of refinement, if you want to do a better job, mask on a few individual elements along with wiping.

Edited by tomcat

Tomcat,

Thanks for the feedback. This is what I had to get completed for class. I worked on it up to the last minute. (Shooting, editing, Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects) I basically had 5 days to complete this much. I'm still working on the project and will post the updated version when it is done. Again thanks for the feedback and these are things I will be adding to the finished project.

While you've clearly put a bit of work into this, could I suggest that less might be more? This may sound a little 'arty' but I think with something like this you've got to stick to the rules of the metaphor. Just because you CAN create a world where anything can happen doesn't mean you SHOULD make anything happen. If this is graffiti appearing on a wall then you'd want to design the way it appears and stick to that design. Is is painted on by an invisible high-speed artist, or is it slapped on by some magic paint can. If the characters in the graffiti are coming to life, fine, but only the characters should do that. At the moment it seems like a lot of arbitrary effects are occurring which are actually detracting from overall feel. One place where this really stood out for me was the wide shot with the skater going left to right. The painting comes on behind him, great. But then the sky starts to do something and then the words in the graffiti starts bouncing around. By sticking to the rules you define, everything will feel more satisfying.

So my approach to this would be before I start building things up to ask what's the world I'm working in and what are the rules of that world.

OK, end of arty bit.

Good luck.

W