Sign in to follow this  
OHG

is this Slavery?

Were i work we do buy all furniture from the prissions.

Don't we spend an average of $25k/per prisoner/per year in the U.S.?

I know teachers that make less than that after taxes.

The penal system is royally fucked, but slavery it's not.

-m

Good point, I would say that it is indeed slavery, but lets not forget that these are inmates. The only rights they have is the right to be treated humanely, however that is defined. Under the eyes of the law and probably most citizens, they have a debt to society, and if that debt gets paid off with low wage labor so be it. Prison is not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be a deterrent for further incarceration, at least in theory. So I don't see how such exploitation is cruel and unusual punishment.

That part if it doesn't worry me, but the development of an industry that relies on such exploitation to survive is a scary proposition. What happens when the labor force hit it maximum capacity, how will the industry grow. What will they lobby congress for? They make millions of these guys while crime victims or society receive none of the profits. That money is not reinvested in crime prevention or even used to offset police budgetary shortfalls, it goes straight to corporate fat cats. That's very disturbing.

The whole argument that those jobs where going to be shipped overseas is just silly. What are inmates buying with their money? It's not like they can go out and buy a car. That money doesn't go back into the economy, or by the time it does it has depreciated so much that is has very little value. In Florida, for example, the average prison time served for violent crimes is about 7 years. If you take that and adjust it for inflation a $60 a month salary would turn out to be about $47 a month or $3948 for the entire time served.

Let's assume that all of the prison population is getting such wages, that would be an annual increase of 3.05175781 × 10-7 percentage increase in GDP. I would not be touting that number as a big win for US labor markets.

Edited by robot0

Don't we spend an average of $25k/per prisoner/per year in the U.S.?

I know teachers that make less than that after taxes.

The penal system is royally fucked, but slavery it's not.

-m

I knew about were our furniture came from, but yesterday morning listening to the radio there was a host on the show that

was talking about these companies being owned by the private sector, and the only way to invest on these compaies was trough invitation, and coincidentially the major investors are politicians, judges and etc,

No wonder why ppl are going to jail because of a joint and their main entertaintment is lifting weights.

lol, yes most of the people in jail were arrested over small petty crimes just so there's some one to make your futons and crappy desk. hey! at least they're made in america!

A judge in Pennsylvania was recently convicted of receiving kickbacks from a privately run juvenille detention facility for every teen he sent their way.

Privatization is bad, and in my opinion the prisoners should not be making consumer products. Put them to work cleaning up our freeways and shit like that, but when profits get introduced and prisons privatized, we're asking for trouble.

I think prison labor is stupid and wrong but it's not exactly slavery because as far as I know it's optional. They can't force you to make license plates, you have to choose to do so.