Sign in to follow this  
enriquevw

A title in progress Pork Chops Films

Hi, I made this small Title to sort of put an idea to work and to have a title in the beginning of a 3d animation video I'm making.

Made in AE, with the help of Squish and Squash expression by Dan Ebbert, modified to suit the speed and ease out needed. The dymo letters were made with scans of original dymo tape and retouched in PS. I think this could use motion blur, but I'm not sure it's fast enough to generate it, haven't tried it yet on my slow machine, haha.

I'm thinking about how to add the "Films" part, which I would like to be different than the dymo setup. I was thinking more like masking tape rolling out in stop motion. But haven't decided yet.

I'd like your critique, this is my first substantial animation, me thinks. :rolleyes:

Pork Chops Intro Click here to watch or download. QT. 1.5 mb

It's nice - don't think you need any motion blur because the dymo strips are scaling up (thus the majority of the blur would be inside the object), and you have less than ten frames per scale, and the blur would occur on the edge of a black object. Good stuff.

It's nice - don't think you need any motion blur because the dymo strips are scaling up (thus the majority of the blur would be inside the object), and you have less than ten frames per scale, and the blur would occur on the edge of a black object. Good stuff.

Thank you! I agree, the motion blur is unnecessary. :)

--Is this a typewriter reference?

--Should I understand why?

--If it's a typewriter reference, is there a reason why you've abstracted it the way you've done (white letters on generic black slabs instead of black letters on actual typewriter heads), and what does that abstraction mean?

--Why do the letter blocks grow and bounce, as opposed to sliding/stamping/melting/spinning/flying/dialing/exploding/self-organizing/walking/materializing/warping/slithering/waving/draining/congealing/etc/etc/etc.... ?

--Why the vintage stained wood desktop? Or is it a cutting block? Is the ambiguity purposeful and advantageous?

I ask these questions for two reasons:

1) I obviously haven't seen the short, so I don't know if the titles bear any relation to it, provide foreshadowing, lead into the first shot, are metaphorical in some way, etc... and as such I don't know if they're "good" or not due to the ambiguity.

2) The questions are sort of general in nature, to make sure that you're intentional about everything you've done.

--Is this a typewriter reference?

--Should I understand why?

--If it's a typewriter reference, is there a reason why you've abstracted it the way you've done (white letters on generic black slabs instead of black letters on actual typewriter heads), and what does that abstraction mean?

--Why do the letter blocks grow and bounce, as opposed to sliding/stamping/melting/spinning/flying/dialing/exploding/self-organizing/walking/materializing/warping/slithering/waving/draining/congealing/etc/etc/etc.... ?

--Why the vintage stained wood desktop? Or is it a cutting block? Is the ambiguity purposeful and advantageous?

I ask these questions for two reasons:

1) I obviously haven't seen the short, so I don't know if the titles bear any relation to it, provide foreshadowing, lead into the first shot, are metaphorical in some way, etc... and as such I don't know if they're "good" or not due to the ambiguity.

2) The questions are sort of general in nature, to make sure that you're intentional about everything you've done.

Thanks for your in depth critique and questioning Binky!

It's not a typewriter reference, although it is a similar system in some sort, it is a Dymo reference as I mentioned, in case you don't remember or don't know what I'm talking about, it's a little machine to make plastic strip labels, and the sound I added sounds kind of like the one Dymo makes.

They appear, because that's just how I envisioned it to look, but they could certainly be sliding in, more like in a stop motion fashion, or plenty of the other ways of appearing that you mention, I guess that there could be a more adecuate one to emulate the way a label comes out of a Dymo machine, the vintage wood desktop was intentionally to go with the vintage technology of the Dymo machine, and I also love wood texture, but hey it could definitely be a book cover texture too!

You've given me plenty of things to think about, examinate and experiment with. Thank you very much for your words!

Actually, I apologize. I think I went dyslexic and misread some of your description. I thought this was a title for a short film. As such, I was expecting that the design/animation should make some kind of sense when placed into the context of the film. If it's a standalone piece, then it's definitely too vague in its appeal. As a standalone, the choices you've made seem fairly arbitrary. I didn't know what you were referring to by "dymo" in your description, but i didn't get that from watching the title either, so that's something for you to consider. If you want to reference that strongly, just go pick one up at the office supply store and check out how it moves and sounds. You may want to reconsider that reference entirely though because there's another established film company that uses the dymo reference very strongly, and very well, in their title animation. I wish I could remember the name of it cuz it looks really nice.

Anyway, yes, since this piece is going to sit in isolation, you'll need to be really intentional about each of the elements you use and how you use them. The wood looks nice, but why is it there? Could it be a beat up cutting board instead? Would that be contrived? Depends on how you treat it. If you're making the dymo reference, why doesn't it behave like a dymo-puncher thing? Should it? Maybe it shouldn't, but then why is the alternative that the letters are split up and growing/bouncing into existence? Even if that were an appropriate way to animate them, you'd want to think about the nuances of those movements and question whether you want them behaving cartoonily or organically, or mechanically, and whether they have character and subtle differences between them, etc. You can keep asking these questions about ever finer points, and you should, in service to your greater goal. The process of refinement is a process of imbuing something with your specific intent. Ambiguity can be part of your intent, but never use that as an excuse, always validate your reasons.

Actually, I apologize. I think I went dyslexic and misread some of your description. I thought this was a title for a short film. As such, I was expecting that the design/animation should make some kind of sense when placed into the context of the film. If it's a standalone piece, then it's definitely too vague in its appeal. As a standalone, the choices you've made seem fairly arbitrary. I didn't know what you were referring to by "dymo" in your description, but i didn't get that from watching the title either, so that's something for you to consider. If you want to reference that strongly, just go pick one up at the office supply store and check out how it moves and sounds. You may want to reconsider that reference entirely though because there's another established film company that uses the dymo reference very strongly, and very well, in their title animation. I wish I could remember the name of it cuz it looks really nice.

Anyway, yes, since this piece is going to sit in isolation, you'll need to be really intentional about each of the elements you use and how you use them. The wood looks nice, but why is it there? Could it be a beat up cutting board instead? Would that be contrived? Depends on how you treat it. If you're making the dymo reference, why doesn't it behave like a dymo-puncher thing? Should it? Maybe it shouldn't, but then why is the alternative that the letters are split up and growing/bouncing into existence? Even if that were an appropriate way to animate them, you'd want to think about the nuances of those movements and question whether you want them behaving cartoonily or organically, or mechanically, and whether they have character and subtle differences between them, etc. You can keep asking these questions about ever finer points, and you should, in service to your greater goal. The process of refinement is a process of imbuing something with your specific intent. Ambiguity can be part of your intent, but never use that as an excuse, always validate your reasons.

I love your comments, thanks Binky, you actually give me more stuff to think about. And yes, I know there is a company that already uses it, and very nicely as you said, it's Paramount Vantage.

I will give all this more thought, and probably will come back when I have a better and more elaborated piece to show off, still I'm glad I got to show this one and got such a strong feedback. :)