Sign in to follow this  
dpi

[help] client wants me to invoice them!

so they never showed us at university.... is there a template or something... im based in the UK if that makes a difference?

template = would be super useful!

It's really simple. If you just google graphic design invoice template there is a bunch of stuff. Whatever word processing ap you are using should have some invoice templates (microsoft word has a bunch as does iwork pages). I'm in North America so I'm not sure if there are any particularities for the UK.

But all you really need is to identify yourself and the client and say what you did and what you are charging for it and any applicable tax info, anything else you want to add is up to you. I also add a line to the bottom of mine saying that a 1.5% per month charge will be added to anything not paid in 30 days, not sure what is standard in the UK but some kind of line about interest for late payment is a good idea.

www.freshbooks.com

free for up to 3 clients, then a paltry $14 bucks a month to add more. It is very sweet.

MS Word / Excel is a joke unless you like scratching your head bald when it comes time to really keep track of things.

J

MS Word / Excel is a joke unless you like scratching your head bald when it comes time to really keep track of things.

This is true.

I meant to look at those if you just wanted to see what an invoice looks like, what info is typically on there. For sure as you continue you will need some kind of accounting software/system to keep track of things or else your head will explode when you try and sort everything out at the end of the year, and using something from the start before things get too complicated is not a bad idea.

@dpi - Hope this helps

Basic structure:

Your Name and contact details top right, address, email, phone, website etc.

Invoice Address

Client name and contact details below, left (you may need an FAO if you're sending it to someone specific)

Invoice details

Project name

Invoice number ( I use a 3 letter code for my client, the date, and a number, so CLI-1090310-01 )

Invoice date

Then breakdown of works

so - did you work for an hourly / daily rate or was there a project buy out?

calculate and put a total

+ VAT if necessary

Payment details - Add your bank details so they can pay you using BACS or some other transfer

Bank name, Branch

Ac Name

Ac Number

Sort

Cheques payable to: Your Name

Payment Terms - it is very important that you add this!!

Standard terms are: 30 days from date of invoice

That's about it. Good luck!

Edited by imcalledandy