Sign in to follow this  
spirozero

Stylized Slideshow

I'm stuck doing a slideshow for a client. I've got 50+ photos that I'll probably drop into AE, convert to 3D and pan across/forward/back. Simple Ken Burns type of effect.

But I'm wondering what else I can do? Anyone know of any cool slideshow techniques? I need some inspiration - transitions, camera moves, lighting, etc. I'm wanting to blow their socks off this year so that they've give me a little more creative freedom next year. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

BTW - the client is fairly conservative.

------------------------

When I say "techniques" I don't mean the packaged crap like "Acrobat Cube" or "Photo Peel." I just want to make a cool looking slideshow!

Edited by spirozero

We recently did a glorified slide show. What helped was to make a custom LUMA wipe to go from slide to slide. Once we got that look down, it make it WAY more custom and elegant.

I'm stuck doing a slideshow for a client. I've got 50+ photos that I'll probably drop into AE, convert to 3D and pan across/forward/back. Simple Ken Burns type of effect.

But I'm wondering what else I can do? Anyone know of any cool slideshow techniques? I need some inspiration - transitions, camera moves, lighting, etc. I'm wanting to blow their socks off this year so that they've give me a little more creative freedom next year. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

BTW - the client is fairly conservative.

------------------------

When I say "techniques" I don't mean the packaged crap like "Acrobat Cube" or "Photo Peel." I just want to make a cool looking slideshow!

Depending on how much time you're willing to invest you might get a nice look out of 3D cutouts. Just take your photo into Photoshop (or another image manipulation package) cut out the dominate foreground object(s), take another instance of the photo and paint the background over the foreground objects (using the Clone Stamp, or something like it) then import both images into AE, create a 3D camera, offest the background from the foreground in 3D space and animate a subtle camera pan. It's a lot of work, especially for 50+ photos, but the results can be pretty sweet. The trick is to create just the right amount of parallax to give the image life without going overboard and revealing the trick.

Try something like the Sure Target script/preset from Video Copilot to add interesting moves between your layers.

Create a 'video-wall' or iTunes carousel effect to move between image sets - or better yet, add a ton of additional photos and scroll past a large number of them between your actual 'highlights'. Use the extra images to help tell your story.

Have your images stacked and as the camera gets closer to the surface of the top layer, use a custom wipe/transition and some particles to make it appear as though the image is disintegrating/burning/fading/tearing, etc. to reveal the next. There are near limitless transition options to employ.

Lots and lots of options...good luck and have fun with it.

Cheers!