Sign in to follow this  
xdozex

In the market for a new monitor...

Guys, I'm looking for a new monitor. I am coming from a Hanns-G 28". My lady bought it for me last year, and I loved the size of it. But the colors and image are not very good. I see a lot of banding on gradients. And yesterday I hit my last straw when a background looked black, and when I viewed it at work I noticed there was a dark pattern that could not be seen on my home monitor even at its brightest setting.

I'm kind of used to the size now, so I really dont want to go very small, but at the moment picture quality, and color means more to me. Plus, I've had it long enough that she wont get offended that I'm scraping it :P

I'm looking for something between 24" - 30", thats above par in terms of image quality. I'm not looking for one of those $2,500 NEC's. Just something that wont produce banding on EVERY gradient!! I hate banding, and I'm scared of all blur filters now. I'd like to keep it under $1,000. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear em.

Edited by xdozex

If $1,000 is your budget, I'd go with the new Apple LED 24" cinema display. If you're wanting something that outputs HD-SDI (and will make sweet love to your Kona card) expect to spend at least $3,000.

I wouldn't waste money on the Apple LED 24(also its mini display port so you need an adapter or compatible graphics card) you can get a better monitor cheaper and if you want color accuracy I would spend the saved money on a hardware calibrator like the Eye One Display 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-MEU103-Eye-O...2/dp/B000CR78CO

Anyone not calibrating monitors should be or should learn how .

Even trying to find the now discontinued Apple ACD 23 in with a Eye One would be a good deal. You can still find these online and at some stores.

You can also get pixel for pixel accuracy with a Matrox MXO and a Cinema Display(non LED) I have been using my second ACD like this for over a year and is cheaper solution to monitor your work if you cant spring for a Kona 3 and a HD/SDI monitor.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo/

You can grab some nice NEC monitors for less then a grand online just research the specs of the new 24 inch models that came out around CES.

Dont rule out the lesser HP model right under the Dreamcolor .

I just picked up a refurb'd Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC 30" for $847 with a 3 year warranty. It's the same (actually newer) S-IPS panel as Apple's 30", so I'm expecting good things. It arrives today.

Thanks guys, I'll check all of these options out. I was thinking about a cheaper sub-1,000 NEC model, or one of the Dell Ultrasharps, so I'd be really interested to see what you think of yours Albo. Only thing I heard about the dell's it that you cant get up to the full resolution without display port. Not sure how true that is, but it would be a bummer. I just got a NVidia GTX 295, and it has dual link DVI, but no display port.

I do also plan to get some form of external calibration after I get the monitor. But the new Cinema's are out, because they also apparently don't work with PC's. Or non-display port video cards. I could be 100% wrong here, but its just what I've been hearing. I need to do a lot more research, and thanks for the help guys.

Albo, any info on that Dell would be much appreciated...color, sharpness, and max resolution, are big selling points for me.

Sao Bento has now reached the limit on how many times he can repeat the same thing as evidenced by that wail, so I shall be kind and do it for him.

Just because Dell uses the same panel as Apple does not mean the quality is as good. The Apple screens demonstrate sharper fonts, truer colours, and pass through more rigorous quality control - you pay a bit extra but it's worth it. They are a worthy compromise when an Eizo or NEC is out of your price range.

The Dell is very nice. It arrived in great condition, not a mark on the screen itself and I haven't found any dead pixels. It's very bright, a little more I think than the Apple 30", but I have noticed that the Cinema Display is better at displaying very fine gradations of color. I notice a little more "banding" with this screen, but not enough to put me off (and I've used the Apple 30" for the last 3 years.) Colors also seem to run a little more vibrant.

Very simple controls - just brightness + and - and the power button. Good adjustments up and down/angle etc. Looks very nice too. There is a tiny amount of audible hum from the power supply but you have to be in a VERY quiet room to notice. The fact that it is built in to the screen plays a factor in this.

All in all I am VERY happy with it (all 2 days!), and it puts my worries at ease to know that even as a refurb'd model it has a 3 year warranty.

*In response to toerag - fonts seem identical on both screens. I did notice that fine text was "different" when first plugging it in, but changing the "Font smoothing style" in Appearance from "Automatic" to "Medium" immediately cleared that up. You are no doubt correct on truer colors and better quality control, but $742 more for a refurb'd Apple display is a bit more than a "bit extra." It would be $1060 difference for a new unit.

Edited by Albo

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Haha!!

Anyways, here's a good discussion about the same topic.

There's a lot of other threads as well.

I got the ACD 30", but am broke now. Great monitor, by the way. It's not as big as I thought, probably because there's a 40" LCD hanging right above it so it looks small.

I would recommend getting it right now, and if you can get a refurb with 3 year warranty to save some dough (I got retail). The new Apple stuff that keeps coming out has the stupid glass non matte surface and a forced mini display port.

Edited by hyp3

Lol, sorry Sao!

I've read other posts, but I was worried that some of them would not have the newest info. Thats why I started another one. Sorry if some info here is duplicated.

I honestly have wanted a Cinema since the new stainless steel versions were released. But the biggest concern is the price. Even the refurbs are priced at $1,500, not including shipping. Where as the Dell I was looking at was either the 3007, or 3008. It seems from the specs the 3008's have A LOT more features. From what I was reading it just looks like the 3007 with a few of its complaints fixed (more inputs, higher contrast, more picture adjustment options, etc). But the 3008 series is $1,699 new, and it seems like every other week the price drops down to the $1K - $1,200 range.

Again, I know the Dell is not that great of a monitor, but I do not do serious production stuff. I do most of my work for local business, that advertise on local television. My only gripe with my current monitor is that when I make a gradient as simple as a medium blue, to a dark blue, I have to see a step for each color in between. I'm looking for a semi-accurate, larger monitor, with little to no banding issues.

And honestly, with the rumors of the rest of the Cinema displays finally getting updated soon, I would have held out for the new 30", and just spent the money as an "investment". But even my BRAND new, top of the line video card does not have mini-display out. With no third party converter in sight.

Short of shelling out $1,500 for a refurb, a non-apple is my only option. Out of the non-apples, the Dell seems to be one of the best within my price range.

You can also get pixel for pixel accuracy with a Matrox MXO and a Cinema Display(non LED) I have been using my second ACD like this for over a year and is cheaper solution to monitor your work if you cant spring for a Kona 3 and a HD/SDI monitor.

I used a Matrox MXO for one year and hated it everyday of that year. If you're in need of color/framerate accuracy from an I/O card or box, don't buy a Matrox. And if your work is for broadcast, buy a Kona. I know it's expensive, but when your deliverable comes back with errors and the stations won't air it, the $1,000 you saved on Matrox/Blackmagic won't mean a thing.

Lol, sorry Sao!

I've read other posts, but I was worried that some of them would not have the newest info. Thats why I started another one. Sorry if some info here is duplicated.

I honestly have wanted a Cinema since the new stainless steel versions were released. But the biggest concern is the price. Even the refurbs are priced at $1,500, not including shipping. Where as the Dell I was looking at was either the 3007, or 3008. It seems from the specs the 3008's have A LOT more features. From what I was reading it just looks like the 3007 with a few of its complaints fixed (more inputs, higher contrast, more picture adjustment options, etc). But the 3008 series is $1,699 new, and it seems like every other week the price drops down to the $1K - $1,200 range.

Again, I know the Dell is not that great of a monitor, but I do not do serious production stuff. I do most of my work for local business, that advertise on local television. My only gripe with my current monitor is that when I make a gradient as simple as a medium blue, to a dark blue, I have to see a step for each color in between. I'm looking for a semi-accurate, larger monitor, with little to no banding issues.

And honestly, with the rumors of the rest of the Cinema displays finally getting updated soon, I would have held out for the new 30", and just spent the money as an "investment". But even my BRAND new, top of the line video card does not have mini-display out. With no third party converter in sight.

Short of shelling out $1,500 for a refurb, a non-apple is my only option. Out of the non-apples, the Dell seems to be one of the best within my price range.

The Dell is not a bad monitor, seen it with my own eyes. Neither is the Samsung 30".

However there's only a $200-$300 difference, just go with the Apple.

If you go to your nearby Apple store, and bring a friend with a student ID, you can get $200 bucks off. Or if you order online, go to the "Education Store". They don't even ask ID there hehe. $200 off.I got mine for $1,599+Tax.

But like I said, if you wait for Apple to release a new one, it's probably going to be a redesign (With the idiotic consumer grade glossy layer) and an LED panel. I really doubt Apple plans to put in a component connection or even HDMI? But I could be wrong. Sometimes Apple surprises people randomly. There is going to be some type of update by the end of March, so stick around to see what's happening with the Apple line. Maybe the refurbs will become cheaper if Apple releases the new one.

Edited by hyp3

Yeah, from what I read on sites like engadget, and mac rumors, the end of this month may possibly bring the updated cinemas. But its already very clear that they will probably ONLY have mini-display port, which is absolutely not an option for me. So the new ones are completely ruled out. But I was thinking along the same lines, of waiting for the new ones to be announced, and then hopefully the price will drop on the current new/refurbs to get rid of them.

Either way, I'll probably wait until the end of March, and try to do some more research.

Thanks for the help!