Sign in to follow this  
silatix

Bike shopping

Since the weathers getting warmer and the mta is going to raise subway fares again, seems like getting a bike would be a good asset in more ways than one. I'm looking at hybrids but having trouble finding good reviews online of bikes. So far I've looked at fuji, trek and raleigh. All seem decent. I want something all around but that will definitely move and not cost an arm and a leg. :)

My friend you are lucky to be living in brooklyn, the nyc epicenter of bike deals. plenty of shops with new and used bikes around bk. i'm planning on doing a little bike shopping myself. i'll let you know what i dig up.

Since the weathers getting warmer and the mta is going to raise subway fares again, seems like getting a bike would be a good asset in more ways than one. I'm looking at hybrids but having trouble finding good reviews online of bikes. So far I've looked at fuji, trek and raleigh. All seem decent. I want something all around but that will definitely move and not cost an arm and a leg. :)

From those three brands you've looked at Trek is the best, but Trek begins to have nice bikes above $1000. Otherwise you're just getting a really expensive bike with a cheap frame and cheap components.

Fuji's frames are aluminum, and aluminum is harsh like a motherfucker, meaning that you'll feel road vibration really bad, and your body will get tired faster from it, not a pretty comfortable ride. But, because Fuji is not a nice brand name like Trek, they outfit their bikes with really nice components.

Raleigh I don't really know about.

I'm a mountain biker but have a road bike for training, since I don't really care for road riding I bought a cheap ass IronHorse, the frame is aluminum, uncomfortable as fuck, but it has cool components (Shimano 105) and a carbon fiber fork... I paid 550 for it.

What is your budget?

Edited by augusto

Ahh thanks for the breakdown. I was trying to stay around $500.. Mostly because the odds of the thing getting stolen are pretty high. I went all over brooklyn on saturday and the deals werent as good as Id hoped. Fuji had an ok for $500.. Theres a shop near my gig that has raleighs for like 500-800 that seem comparable. Which is the better frame to have then if not aluminum.. Carbon?

From those three brands you've looked at Trek is the best, but Trek begins to have nice bikes above $1000. Otherwise you're just getting a really expensive bike with a cheap frame and cheap components.

Fuji's frames are aluminum, and aluminum is harsh like a motherfucker, meaning that you'll feel road vibration really bad, and your body will get tired faster from it, not a pretty comfortable ride. But, because Fuji is not a nice brand name like Trek, they outfit their bikes with really nice components.

Raleigh I don't really know about.

I'm a mountain biker but have a road bike for training, since I don't really care for road riding I bought a cheap ass IronHorse, the frame is aluminum, uncomfortable as fuck, but it has cool components (Shimano 105) and a carbon fiber fork... I paid 550 for it.

What is your budget?

I've bought and sold a handfull of bikes here. sometimes the prices seem high because a lot of racer types buy/sell here, but great deals can be had. The buyers and sellers I've dealt with have always been legit.

road bikes:

http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showcat.php/cat/3

cyclocross bikes (which are great for city /w slicks and generally out of season at the moment, so the selection could be good):

http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showcat.php/cat/4

edit: make sure you have a bike-dork buddy helping you narrow your list down. Brands typically don't mean so much when you consider that many many brands are made in the same factories in Taiwan and China. A solid frame with good components hanging off of it are most important.

Edited by monovich

I bought one of these on ebay last year for like $250. It's a no-name brand, but has been a great bike for dirt cheap. Light, aluminum frame with Shimano parts. I dont see them on ebay anymore, but if you can find it, and dont care about a name brand, I'd totally recommend it.

You can always go custom. This is in Milwaukee, but it's a pretty sweet deal for $500. I've got to believe there's something similar in NYC. Always nice to support your local companies when you can.

I was a bicycle courier for 7 years.

Biggest thing is to find a bike that fits you. A good dealer should take the time to measure you up to the bike you will buy. If the dealer looks like he's going for a quick sale then leave.

Ahh thanks for the breakdown. I was trying to stay around $500.. Mostly because the odds of the thing getting stolen are pretty high. I went all over brooklyn on saturday and the deals werent as good as Id hoped. Fuji had an ok for $500.. Theres a shop near my gig that has raleighs for like 500-800 that seem comparable. Which is the better frame to have then if not aluminum.. Carbon?

Steel. If you can find it. Steel is the shit, but a nice steel frame starts around $400, that's without components. Carbon Fiber is way too expensive, you're thinking Lance Armstrong's bike. I've never ridden titanium, but people say it's super cool and comfortable, expensive as well.

Usually bike shops give you a year of free service, so you're buying that as well.

For your budget, I believe you're getting stuck with aluminum. It's not THAT bad. Then again I'm thinking road bikes with skinny tires, which are meant to go fast, and oh boy, do you go fast :) Don't be afraid of road bikes: they're faster and lighter than the rest.

Also try to haggle ;)

will you be carrying this thing up and down stairs to get it to and from the street?

You plan on carrying spare tubes, etc...?

Go light, Bikes get real heavy real quick if you can't roll them.

Good steel frames are great but pricey.

You will probably find that aluminum is in your price range. Do a quick google on bike components to get a feel for what's quality and what's not.

No need to pay for Shimano XTR when Acera will get the job done. (for example)

+1 on finding a bike that "fits" you. nothing worse than a frame that's too tall or too short. bleh.

Giant Transcend - $500

Giant FCR - $600

Trek Soho - $600 < That looks sweet!

Trek Valencia - $750

Specialized CrossTrail - $400-$700

Fisher Wingra - $500

Just for some direction - These all look nice and in the price range.

I used to ride a lot. Not so much anymore....

And I agree with augusto - make sure you haggle.

Thanks guys for the tips.. its funny how some of these bikes look good in photos but in person its not so much. Ive been checking out some single speed bikes that are super light and have pretty good reviews. The bianchi san jose has been grabbing my attention but its impossible to find a bike shop open after work hours!

Giant Transcend - $500

Giant FCR - $600

Trek Soho - $600 < That looks sweet!

Trek Valencia - $750

Specialized CrossTrail - $400-$700

Fisher Wingra - $500

Just for some direction - These all look nice and in the price range.

I used to ride a lot. Not so much anymore....

And I agree with augusto - make sure you haggle.