Sign in to follow this  
bombers78

Sports Motion Graphics

I just finished up a freelance job designing motion graphics for a local professional sports team. The work was exciting, yet challenging since it was for their LED fascia (ribbon) boards. The canvas was thousands of pixels wide by only 40 pixels tall.

Does anyone know of any design agencies that specialize in designing motion graphics for sports teams? I am interested in pursuing a full-time career in this field.

Hey, yeah I run http://www.graphicsmafia.com a site that gathers as much sports motion graphics as possible. If you put a (good looking :) ) reel together I'll post on the site and you might get some emails.

I've worked in the sports graphics industry for about 4 years and I like it a lot. I highly recommend it, and it is a very "recession proof" industry which is great.

how do you guys put these types of arena graphics into your reels? obviously a comp that is thousands of pixels wide by only 40 high will not fit well in a typical frame, so do you just create full frame versions of what you do?

Hey, yeah I run http://www.graphicsmafia.com a site that gathers as much sports motion graphics as possible. If you put a (good looking :) ) reel together I'll post on the site and you might get some emails.

I've worked in the sports graphics industry for about 4 years and I like it a lot. I highly recommend it, and it is a very "recession proof" industry which is great.

Totally did not see that Brian already responded. Ignore my last reply.

how do you guys put these types of arena graphics into your reels? obviously a comp that is thousands of pixels wide by only 40 high will not fit well in a typical frame, so do you just create full frame versions of what you do?

It's not easy. I've seen people with 5 or six stripes on screen at the same time, but I prefer to shoot the stadium (during a game) and show the expansiveness of the stadium. Maybe darken the crowd so the LED's stand out. But it's key to show it in one piece, if you've designed something to be viewed from a distance like that. Or just focus on one section if it's stronger.

Mix it up and keep it quick though. Don't play more than a 3 or 4 seconds at a time in your reel. Otherwise it'll stand out too much... IMHO.