Sign in to follow this  
chizmniz

Thinking about a wacom

So I have never used or owned a tablet and am thinking about getting one to start using. I am a 3dsmax, AE, photoshop, illustrator user. What would you guys and ladies suggest for the best wacom tablet to get. I know most of you are using one so any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks

Chad

personally, I've got used to the small tablet, used with high sensitivity i get to move only my wrist (leaving the arm in its place) it gives me all the control i need, iI find it harder to get used to the big ones (dragging my arm just to reach the upper left corner is too much effort for me) so I'll recommend you'll start with the smallest one and if after increasing the mouse sensitivity settings its still too small for you, replace it for the bigger size.

BUT, many will disagree and say i'm wrong, what the heck, each one has his own preferences,

what's truly important is that you'll buy a WACOM original tablet, they're the only ones who do it right and with quality.

Guest Sao_Bento
what's truly important is that you'll buy a WACOM original tablet, they're the only ones who do it right and with quality.

I absolutely agree with that.

There are generally two camps of people who use tablets. Those who draw and want to interact with their computer in the same manner, and those who need an alternative for a mouse. The difference is that the draw-ers want bigger, more accurate tablets, to approximate their real-world experience, while mouse haters want small tablets that provide fast interaction without much movement (they would probably hate Cintiq).

I draw, so I like a decent sized tablet. I use a 9X12 right now. I've used the 12X12 back in the days, and the 12X18 on the Quantel. The 12X12 was tolerable, but the 12X18 definitely brought it's own set of challenges (like getting rid of the big knot in your neck). Decide which camp you're in and then choose a tablet that meets your needs.

Not sure why its never discussed that you can have the best of both worlds with mouse mode.

Nav with a flick of the wrist on a large tablet, and if you want, mode toggle with the button, and boom, you're drawing.

Don't hate.

I cannot work without my 6x11. I was on the highway on my way into a studio I freelance at I actually turned around and went back to my house because I forgot my pen.

It'll take a few days for the mechanics of it to click, but when it does - you'll wonder why you waited so long.

I agree Wacom is the only brand worth buying.

J

Just a warning, it seems that the next Intuos series is looming so, you may want to hold off for a bit...if anything to save a few bucks on an Intuos3.

-gl

On a related note, I am curious where you Wacom users physically place your tablets in relation to your keyboard? It's especially challenging with a laptop.

-gl

like Sao said, if you are not going to be doing much drawing then I don't think you will need a huge tablet. 6X8 or 6X11 should be more than enough. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to working with a wacom, but once you get past that, it'll be no different than using a mouse. When I go to studios that have tablets that are larger, I usually limit the active area to something smaller.

In regards to my set up, I have it in an upside down "V" I like to angle both the keyboard and the tablet a little.

Question for PC wacom users. What do you do to execute a right click? Do you use the pen button? I hate using that thing. On a mac, I simply use the ctrl-click. Is there a way to bind a key to execute a "right click"?

There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to working with a wacom.

What do you do to execute a right click?

it takes not more than a month to turn a total tablet hater into believer. of course if using it every day.

double and right clicks on a button.

I use a 4x6 Intuos3 on a 30" monitor. I like being able to keep my arm steady and do most of the work with my wrist, but like Sao said, I feel like my drawing suffers a bit from the smaller tablet. I saw some rumors about new the Intuos 4 coming out, so I'll probably pick up a 6x11 one of those when they do drop. Rumor says there will be a scroll wheel on the pen, which is the only thing I miss from using a mouse. I would like to try the biggest widescreen Intuos, but at close to $700 that's just not an option for me.

Edited by a2visual

i want both of these. so expensive unfortunately, but kind of worth it.cintiq-intro.jpg

have you tried them? your hand is always in the way, and the tip of the pen is just far enough off contact with what you are trying to work on, that it is really annoying to do anything percise. i guess you would get used to it but don't even mention the oil and dirt build up you would get ON YOUR SCREEN.

PC user with wacom, right and middle click is set to the buttons on the top of the pen. Not hard to use at all and I use a pen to do 3d.

I like the convenience of having the ctrl+click=right click on Mac, when i'm on one, but it's not necessary.

The smaller Cintiq is worth it when you think about it, you're getting an LCD and a wacom together, that $1000 doesn't look so bad anymore, does it? As for dirt, wash your hands and stop picking your orifices. The Cintiq, like the wacom, takes some getting used to, but still handy for the digital illustrator.

Mouse mode on tablet, pffft, get that shit outta here :)

Hopefully the next wacom mouse is better. I hate the felt-bottomed mouse - it gets to where it sticks to the tablet and it's a pain to use. I use a regular mouse for 3D / vector stuff - but like the pen better for Photoshop and AE for some reason.

Anything where you're constantly typing is kind of annoying with the pen though because you either have to do that weird tuck under your hand with your thumb, or set it down and pick it back up...

On a related note, I am curious where you Wacom users physically place your tablets in relation to your keyboard? It's especially challenging with a laptop.

-gl

I have always had it off to the right where most people have their mouse and never understood how people could get used to bringing it center or into their lap.

I never use the WACOM buttons on the pad or the pen.

I view my keyboard as 100+ modifier keys.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Hopefully the next wacom mouse is better. I hate the felt-bottomed mouse - it gets to where it sticks to the tablet and it's a pain to use. I use a regular mouse for 3D / vector stuff - but like the pen better for Photoshop and AE for some reason.

Anything where you're constantly typing is kind of annoying with the pen though because you either have to do that weird tuck under your hand with your thumb, or set it down and pick it back up...

I agree on the felt mouse, it's just awful. I had to setup a mighty mouse for anyone who needs to borrow my station at work because no one here can use a tablet. You ought to try tucking the pen over your thumb, under your pointer finger, and over the second finger, might be more comfortable- is for me.

I'm using the Intuos3 6x8 at work just as a mouse alternative and don't think I could use any larger. The 4x6 is perfectly comfortable as well.

As a 3d artist using Max I can't work without the wacom. At first it's a bit weird modeling and so on, but once you get your hot keys tuned in for arc rotate, pan, and zoom, it's pretty sweet. I place my keyboard behind the tablet. My tablet is the 6X11 Intuos3, which works great with two 21 inch monitors. The only problem I've experienced is the driver failing, but I'm pretty sure that related to XP 64bit.

I have always had it off to the right where most people have their mouse and never understood how people could get used to bringing it center or into their lap.

I'm the same way, I've tried in the middle and I just don't get it. Once or twice I put it in my lap as I lean back in my chair, but I wasn't doing any real work then, just goofing off.

i do keyboard in front of wacom. at first i did it because of space limitations on my desk, then i just got used to it. It's also not much of an issue for me to put my pen down to type, or to just tuck it in with my thumb. One things for sure, i'm digging the new mac keyboard and wide format intuos combo. With the keyboard right at the top and propped up on something, it makes working easy. Now if i could just get a keyboard for my PC at home that something like this mac kb... any suggestions?