Sign in to follow this  
monovich

Are designers pompus asses?

hey, there are tons of these things for all sorts of brands....you should see the one I just had to wade through for this last project I was working on. It's all bullshit & it's bad for ya!! But I guesss what it comes down to is can you sell it.

Edited by aspekt

This may not be real, but I've seen other brand guides that weren't far off. The design usually isn't as well thought out as the guide makes it seem. The process usually goes in reverse. A handful of designers come up with a few ideas each, then the pitch man / creative director picks a few and comes up with something like this to make it seem like it was carefully thought out.

Sermon could probably explain it all better than me if he were around...

This may not be real, but I've seen other brand guides that weren't far off. The design usually isn't as well thought out as the guide makes it seem. The process usually goes in reverse. A handful of designers come up with a few ideas each, then the pitch man / creative director picks a few and comes up with something like this to make it seem like it was carefully thought out.

no i think you did a pretty good job.

For the longest time, I was thinkin "damn, Korea air is really doing some heavy advertising". :mellow: :mellow:

koreanleft.jpg

I've done some work with rebranding and this pdf doesn't suprise me at all.

yes. exactly. no designer believes it - its just to make the client feel like they are the center of the universe.

Gawd, I was waiting for someone to discuss how shitty that Pepsi logo is and so is the type on all of those billboards, packaging, etc..

For instance, the way they put the logo in each of the "O"s on most of those billboard ads.

Those ads look like they were done by people who don't even know basic design do's and don'ts.

The inner part of the "new" logo doesn't look balanced and that white outer stroke makes it look like really bad clip art.

The packaging design has horrible composition on the bottles and cans with the way the type is sideways and the negative space just looks like it is in the wrong place.

While I'm bitching here, I would also like to add that whoever did those Zac Efron / 17 Again movie billboards, ads, on-line, etc, needs to learn how to adjust the kerning in their type before sending things out.

How did the creative director not catch that?

Guest Sao_Bento
Gawd, I was waiting for someone to discuss how shitty that Pepsi logo is and so is the type on all of those billboards, packaging, etc..

For instance, the way they put the logo in each of the "O"s on most of those billboard ads.

Those ads look like they were done by people who don't even know basic design do's and don'ts.

The inner part of the "new" logo doesn't look balanced and that white outer stroke makes it look like really bad clip art.

The packaging design has horrible composition on the bottles and cans with the way the type is sideways and the negative space just looks like it is in the wrong place.

While I'm bitching here, I would also like to add that whoever did those Zac Efron / 17 Again movie billboards, ads, on-line, etc, needs to learn how to adjust the kerning in their type before sending things out.

How did the creative director not catch that?

The secretary put that together in powerpoint.

I have to agree about how annoying all the Pepsi ads are with the logos replacing "O"s. They're just so big and harsh on the eyes and I can't even read what they're saying. They're almost as bad as the Snickers billboards and signs that I'm seeing all over the place...."Take care of your Hungergency"? "Get your bling on with Master P-Nut"? Are you kidding me? Are advertisers really this hard up for fresh ideas?

Pepsi ads are banned in Atlanta so I don't think I've seen any... :( There is a lot of trash talking about the new logo, it makes me wonder if Coke doesn't have a team of social media experts rattling off stuff like the butt-crack logo and spreading it around the intertubes.

it makes me wonder if Coke doesn't have a team of social media experts rattling off stuff like the butt-crack logo and spreading it around the intertubes.

If they do, its a pretty clever way to undermine the whole effort, not that it needed much undermining.

for the record, I'm not a part of any smear campaign... unless I'm an unwitting pawn.

To me the logo is old news, but the proposal if it is real, was just too much not to react to.