Sign in to follow this  
undream

[cinema4d] Blurry Reflections

Hi there.

I'm working on a motion graphics project right now, and I need blurry c4d reflections.

What I only see is, the "bluriness" setting under the reflection parameters, whic is HELL slow in render. Is there any way to tweak the settings / any other way so that I can get my blur fast and smooth ?

P.S. what 'bout vrayforc4d ?

Hi there.

I'm working on a motion graphics project right now, and I need blurry c4d reflections.

What I only see is, the "bluriness" setting under the reflection parameters, whic is HELL slow in render. Is there any way to tweak the settings / any other way so that I can get my blur fast and smooth ?

I am doing a project that has a lot of blurry reflections. I did speed tests with Vray vs AR. Vray is faster and better looking, but not faster by much. Blurry reflections are simply costly unless you lower the subdivs enough in which case they will look like dung.

Believe me, we're pulling our hair out wondering how much blurry reflections we can get away with NOT using.

Hi there.

Can you get away with a blurry environment map, instead of for-real reflection?

Render a still (or movie) from somewhere in the same vicinity, and blur the still (or movie)... and set that as the reflectable thingum.

You could always enable the Reflection Multipass and output a separate pass with only the reflection and then use a Depth pass to control the blur while compositing... but that might not give you a "realistic" look depending on how the materials are set up.

Or you could just do the vRay thing which I have no idea how to help you with. If you figure this out yourself please post your answer. Cheers.

I would isolate the geometry to be blurred in a pass of its own and like the other dude said, do a z depth pass and then use that in a large depth of field in Lens Blur (in whatever comp app you use). Environment mapping has always been really slow in my experience, but a blurred env map sounds like a good way to cheat.

I would isolate the geometry to be blurred in a pass of its own and like the other dude said, do a z depth pass and then use that in a large depth of field in Lens Blur (in whatever comp app you use). Environment mapping has always been really slow in my experience, but a blurred env map sounds like a good way to cheat.

To be honest, I do not even know if a blurry reflection is the answer to my question.

What I'm trying to achieve, is simly -to get soft speculars- from a global-illumination (luminance) light source. Maybe someone can help me get something similar ?

Here is a very fine example:

http://www.zhestkov.com/images/o_1.jpg

That amasing zhestkov guy did it in the noisy/polygonal base that these lights are standing on. I could not solve out how this is created, seemed like a low-blurry reflection to me (to get the spacular look in the base).

so, what do you say ?

To be honest, I do not even know if a blurry reflection is the answer to my question.

What I'm trying to achieve, is simly -to get soft speculars- from a global-illumination (luminance) light source. Maybe someone can help me get something similar ?

Here is a very fine example:

http://www.zhestkov.com/images/o_1.jpg

That amasing zhestkov guy did it in the noisy/polygonal base that these lights are standing on. I could not solve out how this is created, seemed like a low-blurry reflection to me (to get the spacular look in the base).

so, what do you say ?

Not sure whether those reflections are blurred - but what you do need is to use fresnel falloff in the reflection channel. This gives a nice fading effect depending on the angle of view. Chris Smith and the Monkey worked on a project that had a very similar look - and they didn't use either GI or blurry reflections - AICP thread. GI is about bounced light. Black surfaces don't bounce much light.

If you place physical lights with inverse square falloff in the same place as your luminescent objects you can fake the effect of glowing objects that emit light.

Not sure whether those reflections are blurred - but what you do need is to use fresnel falloff in the reflection channel. This gives a nice fading effect depending on the angle of view. Chris Smith and the Monkey worked on a project that had a very similar look - and they didn't use either GI or blurry reflections - AICP thread. GI is about bounced light. Black surfaces don't bounce much light.

If you place physical lights with inverse square falloff in the same place as your luminescent objects you can fake the effect of glowing objects that emit light.

I tried it with fresnel but its like impossible to get a similar effect....

Maybe someone can help me get something similar ?

Look carefully at the distorted base there. it has some........ specular glows ? or oft reflections ?

...wel I'm totally unsure.

I tried it with fresnel but its like impossible to get a similar effect....

Maybe someone can help me get something similar ?

Look carefully at the distorted base there. it has some........ specular glows ? or oft reflections ?

...wel I'm totally unsure.

One possible workaround for blurry reflections depending on the makeup of your scene is to drop the sampling levels way down in the reflection channel of your material(s) and use scene motion blur on your render, which will blend the noisy blurs back together for you. Since SMB also takes care of antialiasing, (assuming you enable "restrict antialiasing" and "camera offset") it's sometimes possible to end up with a faster render this way than to keep the sampling levels high for your blurry reflections. Plus, you get motion blur on your scene as a bonus. Depending on your scene this could be a good or a bad idea, but it's worth a shot.

I just did some animations for a Star Wars Clone Wars spot where they had shot a bunch of scenes with toys in the them, and I had the idea of making my animations of the various logos and type information look like they were in a similar environment. The original shots were over a metallic surface that had nice blurry reflections, so I really wanted to get my scenes to have them. In this type of simple scene, with a logo or type floating over what amounted to a metallic 3d cyc, it worked out that I was getting significantly faster renders going the SMB route than having high sampling settings in the blurry reflections.

Edited by scott frizzle

That images looks to me like it was done with subsurface scattering... those cylinders appear to be lit from within. Either that, or rendered with GI, with a gradient applied in the luminance channel...

Firstly, I want to you for your interest to this topic everyone !

What I thought, was "specular" too. But its impossible to create speculars from a "global illumination - luminance" light source --- thats why I thought that can be some "blurry reflections"

Tried subsurface scattering, didnt work... I mean, speculars didnt even happen.

Tried GI, could not catc the exact settings. Impossible to create some niceness without blurs, I guess, but it is SO slow to render that perfect.

What I thought, was "specular" too. But its impossible to create speculars from a "global illumination - luminance" light source --- thats why I thought that can be some "blurry reflections"

do you need GI for a darkly lit scene?

Maybe think backwards?

While R11 blur reflections are pretty fast it of coarse

takes more time than no blur.

So, if you don't want to use the blurry reflection option

in the reflection channel, blur what is to be reflected instead.

In the pict I use a parallel visible spot to represent the pole (to the right).

The pole is just a tube with a gradient in luminance channel.

The pole is set to not be seen by rays in the comptag so it doesn't reflect

as well as doesn't cast or receive shadows.

The blocks around the base are reflective with a dark color.

The only lighting is a wide spot over the pole.

Cheers

Lennart

blur.jpg

Edited by tcastudios

Maybe think backwards?

While R11 blur reflections are pretty fast it of coarse

takes more time than no blur.

So, if you don't want to use the blurry reflection option

in the reflection channel, blur what is to be reflected instead.

In the pict I use a parallel visible spot to represent the pole (to the right).

The pole is just a tube with a gradient in luminance channel.

The pole is set to not be seen by rays in the comptag so it doesn't reflect

as well as doesn't cast or receive shadows.

The blocks around the base are reflective with a dark color.

The only lighting is a wide spot over the pole.

Cheers

Lennart

blur.jpg

Thanks for the effort but this is nothing similar to the lighting I meant..

Eh, thanks.....dude....

Then just turn on the blur switch and don't expect any input from Sweden.

Lennart

Hey Lennart,

I appreciate your and other's posts. I have learned several new things from the input. THANKS!

Eh, thanks.....dude....

Then just turn on the blur switch and don't expect any input from Sweden.

Lennart

I always appreciate your input regardless, Lennart.

Thanks for the effort but this is nothing similar to the lighting I meant..

Looks pretty close to me. Personally if i can get 95% of the look I'm after that renders 10x faster that's a good trade off.