Sign in to follow this  
jasfish

3D Workflow

Okay, this may be obvious, but since I'm self-taught in C4D .. it's not to me :)

How do you handle fairly complex scenes?

I'm fine if it's a single move or moving between multiple cams (I use SteadyCamPro).

But what do you do if you've got lots of different angles/scenes?

Are you saving multiple projects, rendering out different cams constantly?

As things get more complicated .. I keep turning on and off layers, adding cameras, doing multiple renders.

It seems a little clunky and I'm looking for any advice long-time users can give me.

I come from an AE background if that matters.

Okay, this may be obvious, but since I'm self-taught in C4D .. it's not to me :)

I'm fine if it's a single move or moving between multiple cams (I use SteadyCamPro).

But what do you do if you've got lots of different angles/scenes?

Are you saving multiple projects, rendering out different cams constantly?

As things get more complicated .. I keep turning on and off layers, adding cameras, doing multiple renders.

It seems a little clunky and I'm looking for any advice long-time users can give me.

taketool

I keep turning on and off layers, adding cameras, doing multiple renders.

The other posters have great answers... I'll go ahead and describe my low-rent ghetto method anyway. It's dorky and obvious...

I had a handful of scenes in Lightwave. To do overnight (and eventually, week-long) renders, I strung all the scenes end to end, with snap-camera-moves between them, sometimes over to a completely different "stage". There's reasons not to do that, like, wasted geometry on the stage next door. But it was handy at the time. My AE project had the imported movie cut at the right points, so rerender-and-go.

This is where I *wish* there was project/scene/timeline management like AE in 3d programs. Put the geometry animation in one comp, and then use it as a layer in two or three others with different cameras & lighting. (Or am I totally missing that maybe c4d has this? I'd love to hear "yes"...)

my $0.0105 cents.

This is where I *wish* there was project/scene/timeline management like AE in 3d programs. Put the geometry animation in one comp, and then use it as a layer in two or three others with different cameras & lighting. (Or am I totally missing that maybe c4d has this? I'd love to hear "yes"...)

my $0.0105 cents.

You could use Layers. That would be like a 'PreComp'. Geometry on layers. Different light setups on different layers. Layers, layers layers. Multiple cameras. More layers. Split process heavy scenes into their own file.

Much like AE - it can be as organized, or disorganized as you decide to make it.

Adam Swaabs plugin - Render Elements - allows for many things, including material replacement. Its like saving out a bunch of different scenes - but being able to work within all of them at the same time. Does all the 'pain in the ass' part for you, while keeping things very organized.

Also, XRefs.

Hey Govinda, your tagline about keyframes reminds me of this editor we had for awhile.

His line was "What's the difference between a good editor and a bad editor? One keyframe."

He also called EISENSTEIN .. Einstein.

Good stuff.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys, I'll definitely look into Adam's plugin. And is TakeTools really Windows only? I downloaded the simple/test version for OSX.

Guest Sao_Bento
He also called EISENSTEIN .. Einstein.

Ouch!

I still think calling someone Einstein is more sarcastic than calling them Eisenstein, unless they happen to be editing at the time.

i wish XRefs would work with VRAY :blink:

Jesus, they don't? I didn't use them thank god. So that means I dodged at least ONE of the thousand bullets VRay shoots at you when you try to use it in production. I can't believe I got so lucky. Every other bullet hit home.

Just to sum up and hijack the thread. With Vray you can't do the following:

1) Get velocity passes aka 'motion vector' passes, despite there being an output channel for 'velocity' in the render settings.

2) Get usable Depth passes, same prob as C4D, they don't recognize alpha-mapped images.

3) Phycam doesn't work with Multipass. Only works on the RGBA, not with any of the other passes.

4) Shadow pass is subtractive, Raw Light has shadow information, for some reason I'm sure is very good, but strange to normal C4D users.

5) Never use luminant values over 100%, as with white fill planes, unless you're ready to go to 32-bit float. The effect on your reflection AA is pure disaster.

6) Color mapping for mulitpass is Linear 1-1-1 only. Forget the other settings.

File under '3D Workflow - VRay edition.'

good project/folder organisation and naming conventions help enormously.

- render as the absolutely final stage in production (seems obvious, but I've wasted many hours in the past before being told that the animation is "all wrong" :banghead: )

- render only the passes you actually need to complete the shot

- make liberal use of the batch render (I sometimes find myself with one project per AE layer)

that's pretty much my tuppence worth. Does anyone know if these scene/render pass managers are able to grant you "auto-control" over the output filenames and main project folder? I'd kill for a "use relative directory" option....then again maybe i'm missing something obvious :rolleyes:

dan

I'd kill for a "use relative directory" option....

I would kill eat a baby for a "use relative directory" option.

-m

EDIT: I just realized my language was a little softer than my feelings.

Edited by the_Monkey

I feel like it would have been done by now if it were possible. I feel like I've been bitching about it for the last 4 years. There isn't much I like about RealFlow's workflow but I love their built in folder structure. C4D's AutoSave (in the preferences) uses a special format called <<projectdir>> to identify the project directory. I tried substituting it, it doesn't work.

-m