Sign in to follow this  
stoiqa

papyrus customers

How do you deal with them?...you make a decent job and they want papyrus to be used all over the work.

You try to explain/show them the "alternatives"....but they see that "font" as exceptional.

This is a very common topic/challenge. I think you just have to rely on your ability to be a communicator and explain the reasons that while Papyrus is not necessarily a horrible tyepface, definitely overused due to its default nature, that your decisions to use your suggested typography was based on an objective based process to create a certain feel or meet certain goals in the messaging. ...But then again if you just chose the font because it looked cool then maybe you should come up with some excuses right now. While this can become annoying I think that it is just part of client relations.

Delete Papyrus from your system, then tell the clients you don't have it and it will cost "X" amount of dollars to purchase the typeface. Then, take "X" amount of dollars and put it in your pocket.

I've done much worse than use the Papyrus font for money.

It came out, somewhat under control (put some sense in to the matter) , btw, i saw recently a full feature on HBO with papyrus as open title/intro credits :lol:

What can be worse?..? :P

Edited by stoiqa

explain the reasons that while Papyrus is not necessarily a horrible tyepface, definitely overused due to its default nature, ....

Papyrus IS a horrible typeface. I don't think that's up for discussion. It's ridiculous.

What I take umbridge with is the fact that you have a client dictating a typeface to a designer. Is this project about the Nile? How about Moses? Is this about the plant Cyperus papyrus? Because even if it is...Papyrus, the font, is still a bad choice.

As the designer, you could just take it like a man...keep your head down and use the font. Or you could explain that this font is kind of a joke, and only cheap nail salons and third grade teachers use it.

Guest Sao_Bento

They used to have the raddest "don't put paper towels in the toilet" sign set in Papyrus at the Hi-Dive in SF.

well at least you have standards :D

I wish we could have a post with "worst jobs" that you had(w/pics)....but, for obvious reasons, we cant.

I have a few diamonds from `02-`03 :lol:

I wish we could have a post with "worst jobs" that you had(w/pics)....but, for obvious reasons, we cant.

I have a few diamonds from `02-`03 :lol:

Oh I work on those gems every day LOL! I work for a non profit that has no idea how to do anything and think that papyrus, arial, and helvetica are the only fonts on these computers. Its hell everyday but its the only place that gave me a shot to even try to start editing and building motion graphics. So I just do the projects the way I want to, save them, then do a second version for their terrible ideas. I have tried and tried to change their minds on stuff but to no avail.

Guest Sao_Bento
Oh I work on those gems every day LOL! I work for a non profit that has no idea how to do anything and think that papyrus, arial, and helvetica are the only fonts on these computers. Its hell everyday but its the only place that gave me a shot to even try to start editing and building motion graphics. So I just do the projects the way I want to, save them, then do a second version for their terrible ideas. I have tried and tried to change their minds on stuff but to no avail.

Helvetica is all you'll ever need.