Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Hackintosh?

Ive got my quad core tower running vista 64 right now and it works fairly well but I just really prefer OS X to vista. Has anyone experimented with trying to run the cs4 suite and maybe C4D on a hacked box running 10.5? Ive been reading up on it quite a bit at osx86 and it seems doable.. Any thoughts?

Well.... we're not really supposed to talk about this sort of thing here... but since it can be done with a legit copy of OSX it's kind of in a gray area.

Anyway, I built a hackintosh a couple weeks ago on an older computer of mine. From what I could tell, it ran just fine - the performance was great, it could see all the memory and devices I had installed. Drivers (kexts) can be hard to find however, and even if you find the right drivers they may not always work. I managed to get my video card working, but never got the sound or internet working. Maybe with more fiddling around it will eventually work.

If you do decide to try it out, I recommend starting out with a blank drive, so you don't mess up your vista installation.

From what I have observed, they are powerful but, I have yet to see one that functions completely. It seems inevitable that something doesn't work with them even if you buy all the ideal components. I am not sure I would use it as a production machine myself.

-gl

i've OSX 10.5 and Vista dual boot in my personal PC.

The OSX in my rig works fairly well, everythings seems fine include graphics card (Quartz and Core animation), sound and internet. Program I've installed works too. The only thing tat I can't get it working is my PS/2 Keyboard which have no chance to get it working.... but tat can be solve with USB keyboard. (I actually borrow my friend's USB keyboard to do the setups)

But I really have to agree with Beaver. It tooks quite some time and some effort to get everything working, especially the drivers(kexts).

Anyway, I have to say the effort is worth it. :D common.... it's OSX in da house. lol

Edited by philippecr

Anyway, I have to say the effort is worth it. :D common.... it's OSX in da house. lol

Exactly my thoughts! I wanna give it a try I think Im gonna buy another hd to test and hopefully things go well.. Either that or windows 7, wish me luck

I may have gotten lucky, I built a Hackintosh out of my old gaming rig, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66, 2 GB memory, nothing special... but a decent vedeo card.

And it runs like a normal Mac. Everything works... CS4, C4D, FCP, Time Machine, Literally everything Ive thrown at it. QE works too. Comparing it to my dual quad core G5, it holds its own in all but multicore rendering...

I say that all to say... I also tried to convert my AMD system... Couldn't get QE to work for anything, which we all know is essential for OSX. So I would definitely not recommend an AMD system just because of the extra hoops.

I would peruse some forums to find the most compatible hardware... good luck to you!

Chris

Comparing it to my dual quad core G5, it holds its own...

I assume you mean a MacPro?

It would be helpful to know the components of your system like MB, Video, etc for those who are considering this.

-gl