Sign in to follow this  
Pat Reilly

DVCPRO50 widescreen in aftereffects

Can someone help me understand why my footage that was shot with the HVX-200 at DVCPRO50 Widescreen, shows up in aftereffects and quick time at 1024x480?

quicktime.png

When I set up my aftereffects comp I use the preset NTSC DV Widescreen, but when I move my footage to the timeline I have to scale the width to fit the window. But when I render it and move back to FCP the footage looks fine, but why would I have to scale it in aftereffects? and why dose the footage show up in quicktime as 1024x480?

fcpvsae.png

By the way all the footage is being imported by the P2card in FCP.

I have run into the same situation but when I import the footage into AE and review it. I then take the footage and drag it down to create a new composition. The composition looks skewed due to the square pixel aspect. Change the Composition Settings and you should be fine.

Isn't there a text document you can amend which fixes the way Ae automatically interprets footage as it imports ? I'm sure I read about it and used it a few years ago...

Isn't there a text document you can amend which fixes the way Ae automatically interprets footage as it imports ? I'm sure I read about it and used it a few years ago...

That I am not sure about. Sorry.

Yes. You're referring to the interpretation rules file.

You can also manually interpret footage to tell After Effects what the pixel aspect ratio and other characteristics of the footage item are.

For many formats, Quicktime tries to neutralize the anamorphic nature of these pixels for display. But it's getting it wrong - DV NTSC Widescreen should have a square pixel equivalent of 873x480.

1024x480 implies an original PAR of 1.42, which as you say, doesn't have anything to do with DVCPRO 50.

For many formats, Quicktime tries to neutralize the anamorphic nature of these pixels for display. But it's getting it wrong - DV NTSC Widescreen should have a square pixel equivalent of 873x480.

1024x480 implies an original PAR of 1.42, which as you say, doesn't have anything to do with DVCPRO 50.

Man THANK YOU....my Boss thought I was doing something wrong but I knew I wasn't. And thanks for everyone helping out :)

Have the same problem here. Even if I load the DVCPRO50 footage in QuickTime, it looks weird.

I just ignore it, import it in AE, then change the interpretation to the correct one. It seems to be a QuickTime issue.

Do you capture/transfer with FCP?