Sign in to follow this  
a2visual

Great post on being the "3D guy"

It's a cute rant but I don't share his feelings.

I think the "Blog Guy" has a chip on his shoulder.

I've never had a problem with being called the "3D Guy".

Maybe it's a NY attitude, but I say lets cut the crap and get to the point.

You are not a special flower... "Mr./Ms. Designer with feelings".

;)

-m

EDIT: I think he also makes the gross assumption that you MUST be a [D]esigner before you learn 3D. I think we've all seen some reels that prove that just ain't so.

Edited by the_Monkey

Trying to whip up outrage out of being called the '3d guy' is like trying to make meringue out of stale eggs.

And then whatever they decided to call him after they learned not to call him the '3D guy' would be another thing to complain about. Because in the end what he's complaining about is being referred to in passing, which is what's always going to happen to any members of a team by the person in charge of the team. And this is nothing--when you're on a film set your identity is defined by your role for the duration of the shoot. So I'm reading this as someone who has a longing to be a leader but isn't doing the work necessary to be a leader, so instead he does a little lash-out about being pigeonholed.

Who cares? "Designers" are way to concerned about their position and attribution and so is this guy. And if it was a shame to do dirty little stuff... I do crappy dullard things all the time, fix up my own 3D mess with 2D AE and if it suits my boss, I'm an "art director", the other day his "web designer" and tomorrow just the guy making the coffee. Being called "the 3D guy" would be just another title on the list. It's just the way it is.

Mylenium

Spot on govinda. I totally agree that the real issue at play is feeling like just another member of the team. You're right, it wouldn't matter what they called him since the beef surrounds being lumped in with a group. I can understand the feeling of frustration, through it's a bit misdirected or misdiagnosed in this case. It sucks to feel, for whatever reason, that your being taken for granted or your skills are being dismissed or under-utilized, but at the end of the day getting huffy about it doesn't do anything, it's time to step up and change the situation or at least evaluate what the situation really is.

Similarly, though it seems like the term "designer" is placed on some sort of pedestal I've seen even that title become an albatross around one's neck. It doesn't take much to feel like "just the designer" depending on who's throwing the term around.

the fact is that designers 1d 2d or 3d don't get much respect. Clients, Producers, Directors and Creative Directors seem to all look down their noses at us.

Who really cares, though, I take money from you and I make you pretty graphics. I have a life beyond my profession where I get real love/respect, not highly conditional and often fake accolades.

the fact is that designers 1d 2d or 3d don't get much respect. Clients, Producers, Directors and Creative Directors seem to all look down their noses at us.

Who really cares, though, I take money from you and I make you pretty graphics. I have a life beyond my profession where I get real love/respect, not highly conditional and often fake accolades.

Agree.

After a few years you don't care about this stuff. You're just happy to do good work/pay your mortgage/feed your family/take care of your parents/whatever.

Edited by Colin@movecraft

Well put.

Trying to whip up outrage out of being called the '3d guy' is like trying to make meringue out of stale eggs.

And then whatever they decided to call him after they learned not to call him the '3D guy' would be another thing to complain about. Because in the end what he's complaining about is being referred to in passing, which is what's always going to happen to any members of a team by the person in charge of the team. And this is nothing--when you're on a film set your identity is defined by your role for the duration of the shoot. So I'm reading this as someone who has a longing to be a leader but isn't doing the work necessary to be a leader, so instead he does a little lash-out about being pigeonholed.

I see what some of you are saying, however knowing the person that's behind that post, I can see where his frustration comes from.

This guy has been in the industry for probably over a decade, during which he has taken upon critical leadership roles several times(and has one now).

So I can see how calling a veteran in the industry a "3D guy" might tick him off, or even be considered an insult.

I'm sure that calling a Creative Director a designer, for example, would rock the boat as well.

You can be known internally as whatever...but being presented to other people, you should be introduced with a title that communicates the experience you've gathered, if not the title you hold officially.

Edited by KGB

KGB, you're absolutely right about this fellow not only being a great guy, but an industry pro and a seasoned veteran. I think the slight was more a lack of acknowledgment of his value and expertise than about the specific term itself. It's tough simply based on the open letter itself to read into what he was saying without also knowing this person and the other things he's said, done and accomplished.

Just to clarify my own point above; my commentary and 'advice' was not specifically directed at the author, as with his level of experience I'm sure he already knows how to deal with the situation and just needed to vent a little, but more generally at anyone that finds themselves in a frustrating/dismissive situation.

Edited by SaintEfan

Wow. I just realized that this thread was started about this little rant of mine. I love watching people make crazy assumptions, it’s kind of fun.

Everyone should just relax and not take it so seriously. This rant was written as a sort of commentary on how the motion graphics industry is not sure what to do with designers who specialize in 3d (at all experience levels). I see so many talented designers who do 3D and it always bugs me to hear them (or myself for that matter) being called "3D guys". So I thought a little tongue in cheek rant would help stir the pot. I guess I was right. Remember, talking leads to healing.

KGB, you rule.

Take Care Everyone,

cgpov

http://www.cgpov.com I DEMAND YOU SUBSCRIBE

A sampling of your other blog posts...

Vray Linear Workflow...

V-ray 1.5 SP3 Released...

Mental Ray Linear Workflow...

Mray vs. Vray Prt. One...

Dude, you are sooooo the "3d guy"!!! But seriously hilarious post. I remember how stupid it sounded when someone referred to me as "After Effects Genius" Just makes you cringe...

Remember that when someone calls you the 3D guy, they probably think they are being complementary, as they probably understand as much about what your work involves as your parents do.

Remember that when someone calls you the 3D guy, they probably think they are being complementary, as they probably understand as much about what your work involves as your parents do.

bingo, don't underestimate yourself ;)

Just as long as they aren't using "my" in front of it. Huge pet peeve of mine. "This is MY director". No, my name is Chris.

Here here. I'd like to add that a good many designers don't even respect other designers. It's all very cut throat.