Sign in to follow this  
krpdesign

How do I get 3d Play-Doh Look? - National TV AD

I just saw the American Express Play-Doh spot on National's web site (http://www.natl.tv/). From the looks of it, I'm guessing this spot is CG and not clay stop-motion. But I'm wondering how you go about getting that texture and lumpiness right.

I'm fairly new to 3D, using C4D, and although I'm starting to get a handle on modeling and animation, texturing/rendering are definitely very weak points still. Can anybody shed some light on how to acheive a similar look or at least a start down the right track? is it all in the marterials and textures, or more to do with multiple render passes? maybe something completely different? any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

thanks odhill! this person explains the basics of their setup pretty well (below). the one think that doesn't make sense is in "materials". he mentions "uneven speculars" which is totally greek to me. i dont even know what that means let alone how to acheive it. he then mentions c4d having great "procedurals" for that. is that sort of automation or preset that im not familiar with?

posted by ssalo @ cgsociety-----------------------------------------

Software: Cinema 4d + After Effects

Modeling: Every model had a Displace modifier in them to get that random look.

Animation: Rendered in 12 fps, lots of "real world stop motion" object replacement methods, especially in morphing scenes. First it seemed like a lot of work, but it went quite smoothly and quickly.

Materials: Low saturation colors, small bump and uneven speculars. Cinema has great procedurals for that.

Lighting/compositing: Old school methods, GI was faked with toned AO and 32 bit compositing, couple of passes too.

My guess is what they're referring to is that a default shader, like phong of blinn, has a circular, even, highlight. A rough material like playdoh or silly putty has some specular, it's not totally matte, but that specular highlight appears uneven (not completely round, regular, and uninterrupted) due to the underlying roughness of the material. To make a specular highlight appear uneven or rough one can add a specular map. In this case it sounds like a procedural texture (like fractal noise, or clouds, or a cellular pattern) was used as a specular map to, essentially, dirty up the specular component of the shader and make it appear less uniform.

Hope that makes sense.

A procedural texture in Cinema 4D (as in other packages) is just a built in texture that you can apply to a component of the shader, just like you could an image map. The texture, unlike an image map, is controlled by parameters and can be altered and animated through these parameters. It's referred to as procedural because the final texture is generated through mathematical functions and procedures rather than drawn or photographed like an image map.