Sign in to follow this  
Duder

How much sleep do you get?

If ten people have replied to this thread, then two of you have sleep apnea and really aren't sleeping. That's the percentage according to doctors.

I had obstructive apnea, and I've gotten treatment. I had it since I was 17, but I confused it for something kind of cool, a strange feeling of holding my breath that induced a trance-like state when I fell asleep. Little did I know I was doing damage--shortening my life, raising the risk of heart disease and diabetes, and inducing the mental state that used to have people thinking I was forgetful. I was waking up 30-50 times every hour to breathe without knowing it. That's every few minutes, all night long. Two weeks into treatment, I was suddenly having dreams again because I was probably only waking up 5-10 times (you really can't cure it totally, but you can get it down to manageable levels), and I was able to get into dream state after decades of not dreaming.

If your significant other says you gasp at night, you have it, no doubt about it. If you notice yourself gasping, you have it. If you snore, you may have it--the correspondence isn't 1:1 on snoring to apnea and vice-versa.

If ten people have replied to this thread, then two of you have sleep apnea and really aren't sleeping. That's the percentage according to doctors.

I had obstructive apnea, and I've gotten treatment. I had it since I was 17, but I confused it for something kind of cool, a strange feeling of holding my breath that induced a trance-like state when I fell asleep. Little did I know I was doing damage--shortening my life, raising the risk of heart disease and diabetes, and inducing the mental state that used to have people thinking I was forgetful. I was waking up 30-50 times every hour to breathe without knowing it. That's every few minutes, all night long. Two weeks into treatment, I was suddenly having dreams again because I was probably only waking up 5-10 times (you really can't cure it totally, but you can get it down to manageable levels), and I was able to get into dream state after decades of not dreaming.

If your significant other says you gasp at night, you have it, no doubt about it. If you notice yourself gasping, you have it. If you snore, you may have it--the correspondence isn't 1:1 on snoring to apnea and vice-versa.

I discovered I have apnea last summer. Sucks. I had the pillar procedure done, turbinate coblation, and had a custom snore guard mouth piece made that pulls my jaw forward at night. Pain in the ass, but now I breathe like I'm on the peak of the Swiss Alps.

Really?

Usually, when I see you online, its way past midnight and you're either working on an edit, or gunning down prostitutes in GTA :)

Now that is funny coming from the guy who is playing COD4 at all hours of the night. HA :)

went to bed at 11:30 last night, woke up at 1:30am...to a beeping pager and a structure fire....so was out until 5am. then had to drive an our to work.......4:30 cannot come quick enough!

So you are a firefighter and a motion graphics designer??? Your days must be completely screwed up.

While we're on the subject of health...

In-ear headphones or over the hear headphones?

For long periods of time...

Definetely over the ear, open(might disturb your neighbors if you like loud music) circumaural headphones.

For long periods of time...

Definetely over the ear, open(might disturb your neighbors if you like loud music) circumaural headphones.

Any recommendations for ones that have great sound and are isolated? Without making me look like a dork, at least.

Any recommendations for ones that have great sound and are isolated? Without making me look like a dork, at least.

I use the Sennheiser HD595s on a daily basis. They're not isolated however. Nevertheless, they're one of the best headphone purchases I've ever made, sound amazing, and do not disturb my coworkers at normal volume levels. They also have cloth covered pads and are open, thus making them super comfy.

Amazon.com has them on sale every now and then.

Comparable quality, closed headphones are more expensive IMO, and over long periods mess up my ears.

Headphone.com has some reviews and ratings.

Good resource.

Edited by KGB

I've been doing some independent research about sleep, and have found more than one source saying the 8 hours i night could be too much. So, this summer, I am going to spend the time to document and experiment with different amounts of sleep. I'll see how awake I feel in the morning, as well as how I feel throughout the day. I think this is good to do so I will know exactly what my sleep conditions are, and not call it a night early when staying up another hour or two working could actually be more beneficial.

I haven't done much research into it, but for some, a look at alternative sleeping methods, such as Polyphastic Sleep. might be interesting. It could be possible for a freelancer to adopt this kind of schedule, but you would have to work around client meetings, which might have complications.

My sleep patterns are never regular, though I always feel best with 8-10 hrs of rest in the bag. Unfortunately it works out to something closer to 4-6.