Sign in to follow this  
animatrix

Rendering suggestions for C4D

Forgive me if I'm wording this incorrectly. Let's say in object A is a animated stroke which overlaps and runs behind object B. When I render, what's the best way to set up a render before I bring into AE.

First of all, could I render each object in alpha channels in one render or do I have to render each object at a time?

Secondly, if the stroke overlaps and goes behind object B and it is rendered on its own alpha channel, is there a way I can set it up so it automatically masks out when the stroke is behind object B....cuz I want to eliminate as much masking in AE as possible. The only thing I could think of was rendering the 2 objects together as one single alpha, unless somebody knows what I'm talking about and can offer a suggestion.

Edited by animatrix

Try taking a look at object buffers with a multipass render. You can use these as luma mattes within AE to isolate objects. You can only render 'alpha' as the whole image alpha, where there aren't actually any objects in the scene.

Apply object buffers to each object, and set up the render using multipass.

To do this, (and please someone correct me if i'm wrong, it's late and i'm a bit drunk)

1. Apply compositing tag to each object, in that compositing tag attributes go to "object buffer" tab, check a different number for each object.

2. In your render dialogue, check multipass and for each object you have applied the compositing tag object buffer, create a pass for. To do this click on "multipass" drop down and click object buffer, set the number to that of the object with the same OB(object buffer) tag. Repeat this step for objects that have OB.

3. set up your render path and file format.

4. hit render.

This should save you from having to mask anything in AE. Hope this answers your question.

It's already been said it's Object Buffers you are after.

I'm just wanting to emphasize how useful they are for speeding up the 3D work flow. You can use these in After Effects to help with Depth of Field, adding motion blur, grading, composition etc. all without needing to do another time consuming 3D render.

Thanks guys for the tips and it looks like Object Buffers is the way to go...which I never heard of before and glad I'm learning something new. And thanks to Oeuf for the mini instructions. I will have to look into it.

Just finished watching the tutorial on cineversity and it was quite worthwhile. Few questions though.

Do you guys normally always use the aec file having it automatically imported or do you import each rendered file yourself to AE and do your own manipulation?

I'm just thinking the main reason I want to have multiple individual object buffers is when I do bring them into AE, I want the flexibility to do some post effects to it so does it really matter if I do use aec import or not?

Also when you're using motion blur tag, in the render dialog I noticed there are 3 bluring effects - object motion, scene motion, vector motion...do I check them all?

Edited by animatrix

Use the .aec, just try it and you will see why. It'll be the same thing in the end, except it sets up your comp for you. And it brings in camera position, lights, and any nulls where you made external composite tags in C4D.

Also when you're using motion blur tag, in the render dialog I noticed there are 3 bluring effects - object motion, scene motion, vector motion...do I check them all?

Ideally you should never use those. It's much faster and more flexible to add motion blur in a post app like AE instead of baking it into your render.

You're probably looking for motion vectors (in the Multipass menu) instead. C4D can export these, then you can utilize them with a plugin like ReelSmart Motion Blur in AE to generate more realistic motion blur.