Sign in to follow this  
nhowe

Philips 22:9 TV

Nice work, but I don't know about the TV. Does Blu-ray even handle cinemascope?

I have a feeling that this tv will just fill the whole screen and not show the black bars present in current 2:35 Aspect Bluray movies.

Problem is, this TV isn't going to do great in the states. The enthusiasts will probably enjoy it though. If I had dough I'd buy something like this or build a projector setup.

Guest Sao_Bento

I can't wait to see someone watching SD in Stretch-mode on one of these - "Um, Nancy Grace has morphed into a yellowish horizontal line".

Nice work on the spot though.

not to be a jerk or downplay how super-well executed it is, but i bet eleventeen gabrillion dollars this was a result of someone at the agency watching that halo spot with the miniatures diorama followed by dark knight. also, the part with the dp actor talking is kinda unintentional comedy, like watching paris hilton try to repair a car engine or something.

but like i mentioned, really well executed and fun to watch.

Edited by jaan

Anyone care to give a quick explanation of how you'd go about shooting that?

actors standing still and supported by rigging/wires/etc. same with some of the props, though it's obvious that some of the glass and money, and the muzzle flares are added in post.

if it was actual multicam timeslice they woulda exploited the hell out of it with like splashing water and long hair & wind machines (the general lack of hair and it not reacting to the implied physics is what gave away the "freeze pose" for me).

This is temporal photogrammetry - a shitload of identical stills cameras with identical settings, placed along a track. Although only some parts of the video seem to demonstrate the use of this technique, such as the cop being kicked through the glass window, perhaps a hi-speed camera was moved along a dolly track really fast to achieve a similar effect - if the lighting was good enough, and the aperture small enough to acquire high levels of detail, this would be a great way to get one frame per unit of distance travelled. This would, however, require that the action in the scene is in tableau rather than actually moving. So I'd suggest it was a motion control rig to be able to not only reproduce and control camera moves that occur very fast in real time, but also to be able to plot out the continuous looped path the camera continues along.

-oOo-

To reproduce this effect in 3D: Now, if I could make a cloner object that clones cameras along a spline at regular intervals, and I could auto-align groups of these cameras to focus upon the same area, I would still need to change the active camera every two frames to the next along the spline. I could do that in Blender with the Camera Changer script, but how to do it in C4D? Any ideas, my brainy cohorts?

Edited by iline

This is temporal photogrammetry - a shitload of identical stills cameras with identical settings, placed along a track. Although only some parts of the video seem to demonstrate the use of this technique, such as the cop being kicked through the glass window, perhaps a hi-speed camera was moved along a dolly track really fast to achieve a similar effect - if the lighting was good enough, and the aperture small enough to acquire high levels of detail, this would be a great way to get one frame per unit of distance travelled. This would, however, require that the action in the scene is in tableau rather than actually moving. So I'd suggest it was a motion control rig to be able to not only reproduce and control camera moves that occur very fast in real time, but also to be able to plot out the continuous looped path the camera continues along.

Or they put the camera on a dolly and told everyone to hold really still. Occam's razor.

Guest Sao_Bento
I found a making of video >> LINK <<

I watched some video podcast that had a 20 minute interview with the director the other day - every other word was "Flame*". Coincidentally, after that, I watched one of the FxGuide pre NAB podcasts about Discreet "Flare". It seemed quite laughable. Goodbye Discreet*, you greedy bastards.

I watched some video podcast that had a 20 minute interview with the director the other day - every other word was "Flame*". Coincidentally, after that, I watched one of the FxGuide pre NAB podcasts about Discreet "Flare". It seemed quite laughable. Goodbye Discreet*, you greedy bastards.

First off, Flare is a compaion piece to Flame and it is only available to Flame customers.

Secondly, the Discreet name has been gone for years. And the '*' has been gone even longer. It's Autodesk. And they aren't greedy.... you are thinking of Apple and Adobe. Get your facts straight next time.

Guest Sao_Bento
First off, Flare is a compaion piece to Flame and it is only available to Flame customers.

Secondly, the Discreet name has been gone for years. And the '*' has been gone even longer. It's Autodesk. And they aren't greedy.... you are thinking of Apple and Adobe. Get your facts straight next time.

My facts are straight, I just might not have been clear about the delivery. Yes, Flare is a "companion piece" to a Flame (i.e. the Flame is a 500K dongle). Flare is only 40K itself, for something that is only software. How much do you pay on your annual support contract BKM? Hah hahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! suckerzz. Say hi to the Brachiosaurs for me. (or do I need to explain further?)

Guest Sao_Bento

I'm thinking of doing this as a children's book

Once upon a time, there was a people known as "The People of the Magic Box". The People of the Magic Box spent a lot of money on magic boxes to make TV. The law of the land was that the people who made the content were the ones who could afford the tools. This often meant the quality of the content was lower than it could have been, because the barrier to entry was money, not ideas. Then came a new age - they called it "The Desktop Revolution", when the tools became widely available at minimal prices. The number of people with access to the tools grew exponentially, and so did the visions and ideas to be expressed. This was very threatening to the People of the Magic Boxes - after all, they had spent tons of money aquiring magic boxes, but now, these "desktop people" could do the same things as them. They saw their pending demise on the horizon. This made them angry at the "desktop people" who were threatening their business. "Who do they think they are?" said the People of the Magic Box. "They're not as good as I am, so I'm going to ignore them". Then the People of the Black Box began to spread lies about the desktop people, saying that their work wasn't as good - and some of their ad agency friends who like the "client services" table played along with the lie. But try as they might, the People of the Black Box, could not stop the "lowly" desktop people. In time, the desktop people brought so many new visions and ideas that they completely overwhelmed all but a hardcore few of the "People of the Black Box". The bitter, hard core of true believers hung on until they couldn't anymore, and a new age was born - one where talent and ideas were more important than expensive magic boxes. The sky was blue, the birds sang, and the sun shined across the world (powered by a cheap plug-in from a guy in Sweden).

The End.

Seriously, look around. The work out there now is waaayy more diverse that it has ever been, and it has to do largely with access to tools and the demise of companies like Quantel, Avid, and Discreet. I started in the Magic Black Box world, but I was never scared or stubborn enough to put on the blinders and pretend that there were no other serious options out there, or that the options were somehow inferior, because I was never encouraged to buy into the lie by having to pay giant overhead for the anchors around my neck. In the meantime, the black box devotees and some of the agencies can continue to play along with the lie, but it just a matter of time. tick tock lads, tick tock.