Sign in to follow this  
nhowe

Philips 22:9 TV

I'm thinking of doing this as a children's book

I think ad agencies see the magic box people as an insurance, when they put a lot some reasonable amount of money on the table they want less risk as possible.

It also flatters the client.

A bunch of freelancers gathered together could do that? maybe but who wants to take the risk to know?

The line between pro and amateur cinema becomes thinner every year but i guess the big difference between the two is the (personal) time invested in it.

Another heroic film: The search for Gollum (40')

Vfx reel

My facts are straight, I just might not have been clear about the delivery. Yes, Flare is a "companion piece" to a Flame (i.e. the Flame is a 500K dongle). Flare is only 40K itself, for something that is only software. How much do you pay on your annual support contract BKM? Hah hahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! suckerzz. Say hi to the Brachiosaurs for me. (or do I need to explain further?)

I don't pay anything.... my work does. And honestly, the support contract gets you updated software for free as well as tech and hardware support. So it pays for itself. I understand that you don't get it. And there are other tools out there, and that these tools are good. But don't dis or fear what you don't understand. It's obvious that you are not the market for Autodesk systems products.

Edited by BKM

Guest Sao_Bento
A bunch of freelancers gathered together could do that? maybe but who wants to take the risk to know?

I hate to tell you, but they already do it all the time.

@ BKM - So it's OK if your employer gets screwed? Ha ha. Funnier yet is the phrase "don't dis or fear what you don't understand" - You're talking to a guy who's already been there and done that, so I'm quite familiar with what you get and what you're paying for when dealing with companies like Autodesk, Quantel, and Avid. You're absolutely right when you say that I wouldn't do business with Autodesk, not even if it meant going back to Xactos and tech pens. Luckily, that's not even slightly possible since their products are generally in decline (It's hard to characterize the 3D apps that way, since they pretty much own all of them). Yes, they make tools. The tools work to some degree (although they generally horrible UIs) Then they screw the hell out of their customers. If I were a business guy, I'd have to ask if the tools justify the cost difference associated with them, or am I just doing a GW Bush move and refusing to admit that I made a bad decision? I'd have to ask why smaller, less experienced companies with off the shelf software have really low overhead and are taking my business. Really, it reminds me of the mortgage situation, where everyone saw what was coming, but they stuck to their own rule that "if you don't talk about it, maybe the future will never come". Guess what? - didn't work.

Edit: Just so we can get past the "what you don't understand" part.

GVG 120 (starting 15 yrs ago)

Quantel Editbox / Henry

Avid Media Composer

VizRT

Media 100

FCP, AE, C4D, etc.

Worked for a VAR training clients on Avid / Media 100, etc.

Did plenty of work in post houses for agencies in the midwest, Busch Creative, etc.

You can disagree with my perspective, but I feel pretty strongly that I am qualified to have a POV on this.

OH SNAP!

back to the whole 22:9 time-slice spot and tv thing though...

The spot is very cool. Simple idea executed very well. Those are usually the best IMO.

As far as the TV goes...hmm. unless you can get TV to change it's format (again) I don't see this being a real big seller here.

I don't know about you guys, but with all the variable frame rates / variable aspect ratios / SD to HD upconverts / HD to SD centercuts / 2 perf / 3 perf / 4 perf / 720i / 720p /1080i / 1080p / dvcPro / Sony HDCam / RedCam / codecs / upper field first / lower field first/ etc. etc. so on and so forth that ALREADY exists in our world...do we really want to add ANOTHER FUCKING FORMAT to the list?

cool idea...but it can kiss my butt.

EDIT: I know that this aspect ratio exists in the film world...I'm referring to adding another format to straight up VIDEO...

Edited by Firebetty

Nice work, but I don't know about the TV. Does Blu-ray even handle cinemascope?

No.

Hyp3 is correct in that the screen would effectively be like using the stretch function for 16x9 SD on a widescreen. In doing so, you are no longer watching the picture pixel for pixel. Since the only people that would buy these things are (presumably) enthusiasts, this feature could backfire on Phillips IMO.

And unlike the consumer we should all hope this never catches on. Look - I say it took way too long to decide what the HD spec was... so it was agreed to have 5. Then HDDVD and BluRay came along - the fight being way too long. Once BD surprisingly won - it changed it's mind and came out with a 2.0 spec that pretty much put all prior blu-ray platers out to the wind. Now the spec is finally setting in and the next spec appears to only to be an update of performance and storage standards (currently the #1 issue). The mandatory digital broadcast conversion is actually serious this year.

The dust is finally settling... Lets not introduce more madness so everyone is on the same page.

Edited by AromaKat

I can't wait to see someone watching SD in Stretch-mode on one of these - "Um, Nancy Grace has morphed into a yellowish horizontal line".

Nice work on the spot though.

Oh man, big time pet peeve of mine. Wait, that's two pet peeves.