Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Hopper Video

Hey guys thanks for the feedback! Good point about it being possibly too dark in places, I'll go and lighten it up a bit. Supaidaaman - basically just attached the camera to a 3d null and messed with the keyframe graph editor for a while with minimal background elements until I got the movements I wanted. Then went back and filled everything in. Wanted to create more of a dramatic ending, but i'll see if i can invest more time in it..

Andy

The darkness issue is probably just that you're really creating a case of tunnel vision by vignetting it so heavily. i feel like my vision is clouded or like i have to bob my head to look around the obscuring portions. This includes the light rays shifting over the top as well. But overall it looks nice.

I think the thing that catches me most is that I'm not really sure what i'm watching. We're progressing through something, but nothing's really revealed by the journey itself and I'm not sure where we went or what the point was. You're capping it off with an end card about "Edward Hopper Exhibit" but that's a bit confusing because this turns out to be "inspired by", as opposed to an announcement for, or selected pieces from, as if it's an ode to the exhibit and I just don't understand the context. And that's not to say that creating an ode to something is without value, it's just that you have to ask yourself what you're trying to do for, or communicate to, your viewers. If the piece is just for you, that's fine, but you're showing it to people, so you need to take us into consideration. Is there some way you can imply intent or create context? Some way to help me intuit what it is that I'm watching, either right from the start or as an evolving/revealed thought throughout? That's not a suggestion that you need to be explicit or clunky about it, but moreso to provide us with some underlying meaning as to why we're flying through environments with framed pictures of houses and trains and such.

(Note: depending on where you intend to showcase this piece, the context may be provided by the presentation itself, but we're just seeing it in a flash-based player on a website.)

Hey man thanks so much for the crit. Really good point about the context and essentially "why" we are watching it. The animation started out as a promotional marketing video for the edward hopper exhibit that took place in dc this past year to make people interested in going. Problem was, towards the end of the video, one of the powers that were decided on simply posting a slideshow of the paintings themselves - essentially halting my video. Still wanted to post it though since I put the work in. I just threw in the inspired by at the end to cap it off replacing the original text which was the dates and location of the exhibit. Any creative ideas on how I can now imply the context towards the end?

Also going to fix the vignette now. Helps so much to get fresh eyes on it to be more objective about it.

Thanks again.

Edited by Andy

I really like this Andy! The way all of the pieces tie together through the environments of his different works is great.

Agreed the camera movement is well done, and the audio (music and sound effects combined) is really pleasant and well timed.

Well, if you're just using this as a portfolio piece now, you can do anything you want with it. You can re-word the end card pretty easily to appear like an announcement again, or whatever. But the tricky part is still going to be giving us an entry point, or a gradual revealing of meaning. You're just going to have to delve a little deeper into the "why" of the piece for yourself. What that'll do is give you a fuller perspective on what you're trying to accomplish, and knowing what you're trying to accomplish will make it easier to communicate the intent. But your piece is sort of subtle and ambiguous in a good way, so don't go overboard trying to visually explain yourself or something. If you care to think of it as a journey, all you need is a very subtle illumination of why we're on the journey, or where it's going, or maybe that we were on it and didn't know it but we got somewhere in the end. Not much has to change at all to complete this arc.

Also, on the surface, if you're going back to rework the vignetting, maybe you could take a look at the light rays as well. Think about toning them down and adding some parallax.

Awesome. Great input. I will think more about the intent... possibly add one of his quotes in the beginning and change the end tag back to the dates/location of the exhibit...

Superficially I will tone down rays/vignette and add some more foreground elements to help w/ parallax

Andy

oh, i just meant add parallax to the rays. it's just a nitpick, but they're funky cuz they don't move. it's like you've attached the sun to the camera. I think you want them to cycle slower, have less contrast, and slide around with the environment.

I like the train transition, the light beams are lovely as well.

I'd agree with most that it seems a bit dark but I know on such a small scale sometimes those kind of things can have a huge difference when they're shown on a television or theater.

Great work!

Guest wenzi110

The men of the twenty-ninth century live in a perpetual fairyland, though they do not seem to realise it. Bored with wonders, they are cold towards everything that progress brings them every day. It all seems only natural.

wow gold

If they compared it with the past, they would better appreciate what our civilisation is, and realise what a road it has traversed. What would then seem finer than our modern cities, with streets a hundred yards wide, with buildings a thousand feet high, always at an equable temperature, and the sky furrowed by thousands of aero-cars and aero-buses! Compared with these towns, whose population may include up to ten million inhabitants, what were those villages, those hamlets of a thousand years ago, that Paris, that London, that New York - muddy and badly ventilated townships, traversed by jolting contraptions, hauled along by horses - yes! by horses! it's unbelievable!

wow power leveling

If they recalled the erratic working of the steamers and the railways, their many collisions, and their slowness, how greatly would travellers value the aero-trains, and especially these pneumatic tubes laid beneath the oceans, which convey them with a speed of a thousand miles an hour? And would they not enjoy the telephone and the telephote even better if they recollected that our fathers were reduced to that antediluvial apparatus which they called the 'telegraph'?

It's very strange. These surprising transformations are based on principles which were quite well known to our ancestors,

World of warcraft gold although these, so to speak, made no use of them. Heat, steam, electricity are as old as mankind. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, did not the savants declare that the only difference between the physical and chemical forces consists of the special rates of vibration of the etheric particles?

As so enormous a stride had been made, that of recognising the mutual relationship of all these forces, it is incredible that it took so long to work out the rates of vibration that differentiate between them. It is especially surprising that the method of passing directly from one to another, and of producing one without the other, has only been discovered so recently.

World of warcraft Power Leveling

So it was, however, that things happened, and it was only in 2790, about a hundred years ago, that the famous Oswald Nyer succeeded in doing so.

A real benefactor of humanity, that great man! His achievement, a work of genius, was the parent of all the others! A constellation of inventors was born out of it, culminating in our extraordinary James Jackson. It is to him that we owe the new accumulators, some of which condense the force of the solar rays, others the electricity stored in the heart of our globe, and yet again others, energy coming from any source whatever, whether it be the waterfalls, winds, or rivers. It is to him that we owe no less the transformer which, at a touch on a simple switch, draws on the force that lives in the accumulators and releases it as heat, light, electricity, or mechanical power after it has performed any task we need.