Sign in to follow this  
ZeBrownie

Were the F5 ticket prices really worth it?

Guest Sao_Bento

I can't say that I was ever planning on going, but when the "by invitation only" party stuff started going around, it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: to be clear, Justin has been a top notch contributor to the motion graphics community as a whole, mograph.net included. I hold him in high regard, but in this day and age, I think it's fair to question the value of conferences, regardless of who the organizers might be.

For what it's worth - from the F5 website:

"1. OUR VALUES

Full disclosure: We don’t make any money from this. In fact, we only allow two sponsors, and we keep our ticket prices to an absolute minimum. This isn’t about money. It’s about community and creativity.

Seriously. That’s not bullsh*t. We mean it.

We also don’t pay speaker fees, and we don’t allow agencies, studios or reps to sponsor the event. Purity matters. We don’t want dollar signs clouding anyone’s judgment."

I for one, would have loved to attend if I could. I'd love to hear some feedback from actual attendees...

Hey guys,

The event was great. It wasn't a typical "motion graphics festival" by any means. There was alot of great discussion going on. Nuclear weapons, creepy teenager photography, architecture, and experience design. I actually met more programmers and artists than i did motion graphics designers (aside from the people i knew).

I did a short film for the conference and "keyframed my way out of a paper bag" for it, also I attended the private party that was mostly for people that helped put it on, and developed content for the show that (by the way Sao, were paid zero dollars).

So, I thank Justin for the free drinks during that "private party", that we could all reflect on the energy we all spent on building the show. Reminder, there was ONE private party Sao and it was pretty small. Drinks were free the entire rest of the time at the event, so there was always your own private party waiting in the bar. I dont think you missed much in that.

Other than that, I talked to alot of people that paid and I didn't meet one person that regretted it.

Ryan

Guest Sao_Bento
Hey guys,

The event was great. It wasn't a typical "motion graphics festival" by any means. There was alot of great discussion going on. Nuclear weapons, creepy teenager photography, architecture, and experience design. I actually met more programmers and artists than i did motion graphics designers (aside from the people i knew).

I did a short film for the conference and "keyframed my way out of a paper bag" for it, also I attended the private party that was mostly for people that helped put it on, and developed content for the show that (by the way Sao, were paid zero dollars).

So, I thank Justin for the free drinks during that "private party", that we could all reflect on the energy we all spent on building the show. Reminder, there was ONE private party Sao and it was pretty small. Drinks were free the entire rest of the time at the event, so there was always your own private party waiting in the bar. I dont think you missed much in that.

Other than that, I talked to alot of people that paid and I didn't meet one person that regretted it.

Ryan

It's good to hear that it went over well. As if often the case, my comments are based on perception, and the acknowledgment that the way people perceive things should be of great interest to anyone communicating with the public. Take the phrase "VIP party" "Very Important People", which implies that some other people are not so important. Exclusivity suggests that there are two classes of attendees - those who are "very important" and those who are not. If you are not, and you don't win a raffle, you don't get to go to party with the VIPs. I'm sure it wasn't intended to come off that way, but that's my whole point. You need to think about what you are saying to people with this type of stuff. It could very easily be interpreted as saying "you suckers pay the bill so I can hang out with the rockstar designers I want to meet". As I have already said, I'm sure that this is not the case, as it wouldn't be consistent with Justin's previous contributions to the motion graphics community, but people who are new to this and aren't familiar with it might not see it that way. That's the kind of thing that can have an impact on F5's future, so it's important to learn from the mistakes.

I'm not sure how you got the idea that I felt that someone was being unfairly paid or whatever. I did several sessions at BDA conferences back in the day - we didn't get paid then either. No big deal. Just like none of us get paid to be on here. I don't think this is exactly a bastion for rabid opportunistic capitalism.

It's good to hear that it went over well. As if often the case, my comments are based on perception, and the acknowledgment that the way people perceive things should be of great interest to anyone communicating with the public. Take the phrase "VIP party" "Very Important People", which implies that some other people are not so important. Exclusivity suggests that there are two classes of attendees - those who are "very important" and those who are not. If you are not, and you don't win a raffle, you don't get to go to party with the VIPs. I'm sure it wasn't intended to come off that way, but that's my whole point. You need to think about what you are saying to people with this type of stuff. It could very easily be interpreted as saying "you suckers pay the bill so I can hang out with the rockstar designers I want to meet". As I have already said, I'm sure that this is not the case, as it wouldn't be consistent with Justin's previous contributions to the motion graphics community, but people who are new to this and aren't familiar with it might not see it that way. That's the kind of thing that can have an impact on F5's future, so it's important to learn from the mistakes.

I'm not sure how you got the idea that I felt that someone was being unfairly paid or whatever. I did several sessions at BDA conferences back in the day - we didn't get paid then either. No big deal. Just like none of us get paid to be on here. I don't think this is exactly a bastion for rabid opportunistic capitalism.

sorry, i wasn't aware of a raffle to hang out with the vip's. i was under the impression that it was more of a "hey thanks for the work, heres a good time on me" kinda thing. possibly the raffle was a promo to help sell tickets or something? i just know that the hours alot of people put into developing content shouldn't be perceived as a mightier than thou, rockstar designer backrub session. and to be honest, i didn't see/meet one speaker at the party. it was mostly people that were working the event the next day, film contributors, and motionographer folks.

by working the event i mean door people / drink ticket people.

Edited by Rothermel

Guest Sao_Bento
this is from the Motionographer.com website:

just thought its worth mentioning....

What is that adding, exactly? Is the point you're trying to make that F5 is an opportunity for networking? If so, yes, and that is also true of all industry conferences or any other opportunity to interact with others in your profession. In the olden days, when everyone's employer footed the bill for sending the designers to BDA, it was accepted that they were really just paying 3-4K per person for people to hang out and get hammered with their friends in the industry. These days most designers would have to pay out of their own pockets to go to a conference, so there's a lot more scrutiny of how much "bang for the buck" you're actually getting. Another thing that's changing is which conferences are considered "must go" (if any). Many of the preeminent conferences of yore have faded away, losing their relevancy through their organizer's inability to stay in tune with the business. Meanwhile, conferences once considered "fringe" or "niche", like FITC are taking the spotlight. Who the hell ever thought SXSW would be relevant to filmmaking? I wouldn't be surprised to see F5 move into a similar position if they are able to keep the momentum going. The key factor is that the organizers come up with new ways to do things. It seems like people are much more interested in a kind of "group tutorial" approach these days - where the people who actually made the piece talk through their project from concept to execution, rather than having some exec. producer who never touched the thing talk about the business strategy behind it.

Friendships will be formed.

Connections will be made.

Businesses will blossom.

Ideas will take flight.

See you soon.

Sao: The point I was trying to make is that putting aside the fact that it could have been a wonderful haiku, its filled with sentences that sound like hard-cold facts.

I agree with your perspective on this issue, and on top of that, having the F5 ad at the top of motionographer.com for the past month or so, sending over 5 emails to registered users etc - only serves the interest of ONE PERSON rather than the whole mograph community, which was the original intention of the website itself, he left that ad there on top for too long, a banner on the side and only 2 emails would've been more than enough.

but hey, what the heck, Its a lot of work, stress and few new bits of gray hair to do something like that hope it was the success he imagined it to be.

Edited by yoni bendor

Cool. Which short did you work on?

Ryan

Hello Guys,

I loved the motionographer.com when it started, some time later I got sick of the kind of "reviews" for certain works and realized it was going in a direction in which "vips" would be the inevitable force/target of/for the project.

But I still believe more people will get involved with the project and will change it for better. F5 was, in my view, a turning point of for mograph/motionographer/community . I loved to see a lot of artists from many different areas sharing their feelings, soul and ideas with people they never saw before but had a common interest on animated graphics.

I must confess I loved F5. I met really cool people but I also met some folks with inflated egos that almost made their body float.

Sao comments about the F5 are totally pertinent as an awareness of what it can become if we/motiondesigners get the pop star syndrome. And I agree with you Sao. But the conference approach was not even close to that. The best example for the pre VIP party is that I went, well, ahahahah I was not supposed to be there but thanks to Ryan, lee and guera I had the chance to go. I did not care much about vip shit but I went and it was fun, i got wasted, sad a lot of shit but did not feel in any way some vip shit from the people who was in there. It was just people, I had no idea who was anyone there...

And no matter in what area, science, politics, sports, religion. There are always the vips, the assholes, the stupid, the real good ones, the ones who think god is their employee. So, to resume the conference "feeling" on my opinion, it was all about celebrating mograph and making friends.

I think most part of the comments here are about how we behave on a scaled, measurable kind of status that motionographer imposed with "selected" showcased projects during the last years. It bugs me, I think bugs Sao also. I am a dreamer too, I will never give up the idea we could just be artists who help each other and really care about real life problems. I still hope sooner or later we will figure out competition in our field is kind good but competition between ourselves is stupidity.

Edited by PauloBlob

Thursday night we're doing meetup.. Come out!

By the way, I am still here in NY for another week, if you guys want to hang out let me know! I am by my self here :( sucks some times.

It was totally worth it in every way. And even though it was my company that paid, I would do it again on my own dime.

The connections and community alone were worthwhile. Everybody was really chill.