Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Interesting stuff from NAB

Guest Sao_Bento

I'm not there, but I did come across a few interesting products released at NAB 2009 in Las Vegas. Feel free to add on any new gear that grabs your attention.

Aja I/O Express - laptop video I/O

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/New...ress_and_kipro/

Aja KiPro - direct recording to ExpressCard in ProRes 422

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ate...out_a_computer/

Matrox MXO 2 Mini - laptop video interface

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ate...nces_mxo2_mini/

Panasonic Stereoscopic P2 Camera

http://i.gizmodo.com/5220145/panasonic-cam...r-full-hd-in-3d

eCinema Systems Pro 2310 Grade 1 HD Monitor

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/new...or_under_8k_us/

For the "Creeps Me Out" category:

Daz3d Releases "girl 4"

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/the-girl-4?cat=930&_m=d

Do you think they could have sprung for a better head on that tripod? yikes!

Yikes! My guess is they want to show as much of the camera's bottom as possible. But dang.

For any fellow XDCAM EX users out there, Sony apparently slashed the price of their big cards to compete with the JVC unit shooting on SDHC.

Cf

Guest Sao_Bento

I'm still waiting for the tiny and cheap box that records HDMI input to ProRes or some other post friendly format onto a Class 4 SDHC card.

Guest Sao_Bento
Those eCinema monitors look sweet but their 'sub-$8k' price tag probably equates to $7999.99 (i.e. still too much to afford).

Quite a step down from the 25K price of the DCM23 though. You gotta pay for quality.

Guest spence

I always liked the idea of 3D but does any one think it will actually catch on? Seems like allot of manufacturers are making a big push towards supporting it with their new TVs, but how many people will shill out an extra few hundred dollars for a piece of technology that might never be supported by any media other than the new star wars trilogy?

Especially one where you have to wear an ugly pair of plastic glasses in order for it to even work.

Guest Sao_Bento
I have watched British footage from the 1953 coronation which was filmed in 3D. It has to be said, it is taking its time to become mainstream...

I completely and totally do not get 3D. Maybe it's because the last thing I saw in 3D was "Jaws 3", but I could care less about another gimmick. That being said, my kids saw Monsters V. Aliens in 3D last week and loved it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one not getting the 3D thing. I thought maybe I was just losing touch. Is anyone at NAB showing a convincing 3D display? Are any of these no-glasses technologies really working yet?

Another NAB question, though. Are any of the still camera makers there? Like Nikon, Canon, etc. I heard there might be some more video capable SLRs announced soon.

W

Guest Sao_Bento
I'm glad I'm not the only one not getting the 3D thing. I thought maybe I was just losing touch. Is anyone at NAB showing a convincing 3D display? Are any of these no-glasses technologies really working yet?

Another NAB question, though. Are any of the still camera makers there? Like Nikon, Canon, etc. I heard there might be some more video capable SLRs announced soon.

W

You know that Canon, Nikon, Fujinon, etc. are all there, but I imagine they're only showing their pro video products. To suggest that a DSLR should be considered at a "broadcasters" convention is still heresy at this point (plus it would cost them big bucks if it caused confusion or directly undermined their pro video product lines). Only RED does that kind of stuff, but they're not there, and now that they have increased their product line by 32X or whatever, the next time they are there, they'll be concentrating on not stepping on their own toes a lot more.

3d is going to be huge and all over the place. because it is the theatrical release industry's newest in a long line of gimmicks (ie. aspect ratios beyond 4:3, synchronous sound, vfx) that successfully lure people away from their couches. and apparently it works because 3d releases make big money despite sometimes higher ticket prices.

that factor naturally trickles down into the home theater realm. and the thing that makes it really work is that 3d production is generally format scalable, meaning whatever new presentation formats for theatrical or home 3d viewing that come to exist (and there will be much better ones in the years to come) will be accessible to the stuff that is being made today... as long as you have two separate synchronous reels that produce stereoscopic parallax, it can be made to work.

Edited by jaan

Guest spence

It makes sense for theaters to be using that as a gimmick to pull people in, but I don't think 3D TVs in their current iteration will catch on.

If they come out with some kind of 3D format that doesn't require me to wear those stupid glasses I think I might be sold.

Head tracking seems like it would be a good alternative, but only one person watching the display can get the effect.

3d is going to be huge and all over the place. because it is the theatrical release industry's newest in a long line of gimmicks (ie. aspect ratios beyond 4:3, synchronous sound, vfx) that successfully lure people away from their couches. and apparently it works because 3d releases make big money despite sometimes higher ticket prices.

Gimmicks and novelty can work for a while, but only while they remain new. Just like the the returns on new dinosaur pictures declined gradually after Jurassic Park; these days how many people are going to see a film just because it has great dinosaurs? The other "gimmicks" you mention stuck because they really enhance storytelling. I am not sure that 3D is really that helpful - it certainly makes many aspects of post production and VFX more difficult. It has also been tried before - in the 50s you couldn't move for 3d releases - some are films that are still watched today in 2D (eg Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder and House of Wax with Vincent Price). But it ran out of steam, as it did in the early 70s revival and the early 80s. Essentially there is nothing new about the current concept that persuades me it will be different this time, unless 3D compatible home TVs are available at a comparable price to regular TVs (and the credit crunch is not going to help manufacturers ramp up production). 3D displays will probably be stillborn like the laserdisc

Guest spence

It's obvious LaserDisc failed because they opted not to use the clearly superior name "Disco-Vision" that they originally had in mind.

Gimmicks and novelty can work for a while, but only while they remain new. Just like the the returns on new dinosaur pictures declined gradually after Jurassic Park; these days how many people are going to see a film just because it has great dinosaurs?...

the gimmick of jurassic park was not "dinosaurs". it was 3d cgi monsters that can be shot, lit and characterized to a degree that was previously impractical or even impossible. last time i checked those are still annoyingly prevalent at multiplexes. it spawned its own subindustry in vfx.

Edited by jaan

They had some auto-stereoscopic displays there, the kind you don't need to wear glasses for. It looked a lot like those 3D lenticular prints you see, with the ridges in the coating of plastic. Very shallow sweet spot to see the effect. Kinda sucked from what I heard.

Also heard really great things from DVS about their new hardware in Clipster. Realtime RED 4k playback and conform.

Edited by theta

that factor naturally trickles down into the home theater realm. and the thing that makes it really work is that 3d production is generally format scalable, meaning whatever new presentation formats for theatrical or home 3d viewing that come to exist (and there will be much better ones in the years to come) will be accessible to the stuff that is being made today... as long as you have two separate synchronous reels that produce stereoscopic parallax, it can be made to work.

I don't agree. As Basilisk said, the gimmicky nature of the thing only complicates matters without any real value being added. It will wear off pretty quickly and even "industry experts" are saying this. For the time being, it's limited to fully CG or CG heavy stuff and a lot of this stuff is so rubbish, I have no interest in even watching it. That said, even for the limited offerings I see no way of it getting a foothold quickly. You see, there is not even a Stereo spec for BluRay (it's still in discussion), there's perhaps 2 or 3 models that support Stereo display for home use and apart from that, people just bought new HD screens and will not buy new ones soon just for that. It's really more of a marketing thing than it has real value. and not to put too fine a point on it: The cinema industry has been suffering for years, both in content creation and distribution, so it's inevitable they latch on to every last straw and propose it as the new shiz to everyone....

Mylenium

... and not to put too fine a point on it: The cinema industry has been suffering for years, both in content creation and distribution, so it's inevitable they latch on to every last straw and propose it as the new shiz to everyone....

That also explains why so many of the best movies right now are either remakes or comic books adaptations.

Cf

when exactly did proRes become a revered format? thats what the article on the KiPro starts out saying...anyway that's lame. The i/o express on the otherhand looks sweet! Seeing the p2 stereoscopic cam from panasonic only makes me wonder what else they have in store for us down the line. I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.