Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Interesting stuff from NAB

I don't agree. As Basilisk said, the gimmicky nature of the thing only complicates matters without any real value being added. It will wear off pretty quickly and even "industry experts" are saying this. For the time being, it's limited to fully CG or CG heavy stuff and a lot of this stuff is so rubbish, I have no interest in even watching it. That said, even for the limited offerings I see no way of it getting a foothold quickly. You see, there is not even a Stereo spec for BluRay (it's still in discussion), there's perhaps 2 or 3 models that support Stereo display for home use and apart from that, people just bought new HD screens and will not buy new ones soon just for that. It's really more of a marketing thing than it has real value. and not to put too fine a point on it: The cinema industry has been suffering for years, both in content creation and distribution, so it's inevitable they latch on to every last straw and propose it as the new shiz to everyone....

Mylenium

we obviously live on different planets... the one you inhabit seems to function based more on merit. the one i am unfortunately stuck on is based on that "marketing thing" stuff you mentioned. mark my words, there are going to be more and more 3d theatrical releases every year. even that 'my bloody valentine' crummy movie made a huge profit. first there will be a decent high end home theater 3d format, then some kind of half decent trickle down format for bluray etc.

btw, i never said anything about quality... only its inevitable prevalence.

Guest Sao_Bento
when exactly did proRes become a revered format? thats what the article on the KiPro starts out saying...anyway that's lame. The i/o express on the otherhand looks sweet! Seeing the p2 stereoscopic cam from panasonic only makes me wonder what else they have in store for us down the line. I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Maybe they meant "feared". All I know is that it is better than AVCHD, so if you can record it to SDHC or Disc, sign me up.

I thought that looked pretty cool until I saw the pictures on the link. There's just something not quite right about it. On the other hand, they look more professional than I do with my HF100!

W

Guest Sao_Bento
I thought that looked pretty cool until I saw the pictures on the link. There's just something not quite right about it. On the other hand, they look more professional than I do with my HF100!

W

It doesn't help that the Red Rock Micro site looks like crap either.

Red Ray 700:1 compressed footage is anecdotally represented as "visually lossless"

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/25/red-b...ed-ray-footage/

Theoretically brilliant but theres an issue even they point out:

"Attendees claimed they could see zero visible compression, though a projector in a ballroom isn't exactly the best case scenario to test that sort of thing"

lossless purists are probably loading their guns right now =D

also 'videophile' just sounds wrong

i'm sure it's true. those kind of compression ratios are totally possible, but the higher the ratio, the more computing power needed to unravel all that numeric yarn in realtime. more than likely the device needed to actually play it is hecka pricey.

also 'videophile' just sounds wrong

I was watching a programme a few months ago and there was a clip from the 70s with this woman who loved chocolate and was being interviewed about it...

"I don't like the term 'chocoholic' it has negative connotation, like an alcoholic, I prefer chocophile...."

just reminded me of how wrong that was haha

i'm sure it's true. those kind of compression ratios are totally possible, but the higher the ratio, the more computing power needed to unravel all that numeric yarn in realtime. more than likely the device needed to actually play it is hecka pricey.

I think that's where Red Ray and, ahem, "Red Rocket" come into play. One's supposed to be a sub-$1000 playback device for 10 mbps compressed delivery, or a $5K hardware accelerator to play back completely uncompressed 4K Red footage on your tower/laptop.

Btw, someone's gotta start checking the urban dictionary site before they name their gear for NAB next year. I can't believe someone's trying to sell something called The Teabag.

"I don't like the term 'chocoholic' it has negative connotation, like an alcoholic, I prefer chocophile...."

As I understand it, someone can only be 'chocoholic' if they are addicted to 'chocohol'.

They had some auto-stereoscopic displays there, the kind you don't need to wear glasses for. It looked a lot like those 3D lenticular prints you see, with the ridges in the coating of plastic. Very shallow sweet spot to see the effect. Kinda sucked from what I heard.

Glasses-free 3D:

Alioscopy had a random unmanned screen thrown in the Adobe section.

Most of the images it produces look like one of the bad shots in Monsters vs Aliens 3D, where you see two images of the same thing miss-aligned on top of each other.

To be fair, the content they were playing was pretty lame, and the quality of the 3D effect varied greatly from shot to shot. Sometimes is worked.

But unless your standing in the right place(s?), it definitely doesn't look right.

How much of a gimmick is 3D?

In my opinion, The 3D in Monsters vs Aliens added a level of entertainment and didn't feel like a gimmick. Perhaps it only felt appropriate because everything from the plot to art-direction was over the top and cartoony.

However, I know I definitely don't want to watch Star Wars Ep IV, or 300 in 3D - it would just be distracting and feel like a gimmick. Which makes me wonder how the upcoming Avatar film will turn out. James Cameron seems pretty googly-eyed for 3D.

I also don't see myself buying 3D glasses for home use any more than I plan on buying a ferris wheel because I enjoyed it one time a carnival...

Its like if bubble gum was vastly more expensive than regular chewing gum. It will have to be ridiculously affordable for the novelty.

Now is glasses-free 3D a gimmick?

Hell yes - it doesn't even work.